main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Wisconsin Newscaster fights back against email calling her "fat".

Discussion in 'Community' started by TahiriVeilaSolo69, Oct 2, 2012.

1. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
  2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Obesity is associated with increased risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and shorter lifespans.

And it's a choice.

malkieD2

3. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
    That's not an excuse to bully someone for their weight.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If the guy had written the letter, it probably would have been covered by Cheeto dust.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    That letter didn't look like bullying to me.

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Yeah, the guy was being a tool.

Darth Guy likes this.
  7. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Haven't you heard?? Fat people are society's new punching bag (softer on the knuckles). They brought it on themselves and deserve not sympathy but ridicule and humiliation.

EDIT: Its not like they are people anyways.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    It's ridiculous that that's being thrown around, like if she wants to have this job she has to be thin. If this is about role models, I think the way she reacted makes her a far better role model than being any particular size would.

I do still think it's ridiculous how quickly weight is used to demean people in the public light. Chris Christie comes to mind. It's basically judging someone presuming you know their personal history and medical details.

9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    As a fellow fat person, I say "you go, girl".

A someone who has been bullied because of their weight (among other reasons), fat people know they're fat, giving them grief and shaming them into losing weight won't make them want to diet, that way lies eating disorders. Yes, I'm currently trying to lose weight, but giving me crap about my weight won't make the pounds drop off any faster.

Souderwan and Juliet316 like this.
  10. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
    I hate you. I have HAVEN'T YOU HEARD THE BIRD IS THE WORD song in my head. [face_plain]

Edit:
    For once, I agree with Danthe.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Somehow I doubt those ridiculing fat people have much concern for your health or helping you shed pounds faster.

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Goodness knows girls need thin role models, what else are guys suppose to judge them by other than looks?

14. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
    And this coming from someone who thinks Roma are second class citizens/bad people. The worst part is that this person is bullying her under the guise of being concerned about her weight for "health purposes."

15. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    And you disdain that I'm trying to regain a part of my sexuality that was stolen from me with a knife. No one's perfect.

That's an annoying way of saying, the fact that Mar has expressed certain opinions about Roma in the past doesn't really have any more bearing on her opinion in this thread than my lack of a foreskin.

Both are totally irrelevant.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ugh, self-righteousness is just nauseating. Reminds me of when that women's group was demanding that JC Penney's fire Ellen DeGeneres. In a way, I envy these people who apparently have so little wrong on their home front that they can, unprovoked, stomach doing this to others.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Also saying that it's a choice to be overweight/obese. How does he know? There are quite a few ways that a person can become overweight without it being even remotely within the realm of their control. Certain diseases/disorders can cause significant weight gain, as well as certain medications. It's not always the "lol, their just choosing to be fat by eating themselves to death." I'm happy that she stood up, not only for herself, but those who could take words similar to this letter or worse to heart and go down a dangerous path of eating disorders or worse.

18. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
    Hey if you want a turtleneck on your johnson, that's up to you. A penis is a penis. I have more disdain for you wanting to give us an inch-by-inch play of you regaining it. She is discriminating against a group of people based on their looks/culture/etc, just like this person is discriminating against the newscaster because she isn't 30-21-32.

19. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Not really. Mar's willingness to classify an ethnic group the way she does and not feel it's problematic is probably really closely related to her failure to see this bullying as bullying.

let's not get carried away

20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    "You're a racist, so your opinion on whether or not this person was being a bully is suspect."

I don't think that this logic necessarily follows through.

I think the guy was being a total jerk but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as bullying. Bullying and being a jerk aren't synonymous. Perhaps he genuinely thought he was making her aware of a serious problem.

The fact is that her weight is problematic for her health. I agree, it doesn't mean that it needs to be pointed out. In terms of physical appeal, I think she looks fine. And it's easily possible to be overweight and be generally healthy. But the guy is right, and perhaps he thought he was doing her a favor and trying to prevent other from seeing her and thinking, "Oh, being overweight is okay."

Obviously that sort of thinking isn't good, and the only net effect is probably just to make people who already feel bad about being overweight feel worse about themselves. But I don't necessarily see why this is bullying. I'm open to being convinced.

21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I will say, I don't think I'd count THIS letter as bullying. If it was part of a larger thing than one letter, or more directly aggressive, I would. As it stands, it seems more to be just being a jerk, but that if he kept it up, it would be bullying.

22. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    You missed a crucial bit of it, though. It's more of "You're a racist [who doesn't acknowledge that you're racist and doesn't think your racism is a problem], so your opinion on whether or not this person was being a bully is suspect." Which I think is pretty sound, logically.

I honestly don't think his intentions were to point out something to her that she didn't realize or wasn't aware of. The text of that letter doesn't indicate anything to me other than concern trolling - the fact that he called her obesity a "choice" when he doesn't know anything about her medical or personal history indicates that, to me, and seems a very carefully loaded word choice.

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Not having foreskin at the tip of your penis doesn't mean you've had any part of your sexuality has been taken away from you.

24. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Can we just put this circumcision debate to bed? Or at least limit how many threads its going to derail...its getting old.

25. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I came here for the Your Mama is So Fat jokes, not to talk about his ween again!