main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ABC's "Once Upon a Time"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    ARE YOU SERIOUS. This show is making me such a nerd.

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    New season starts in a few weeks!

And we have a new commercial!!

MULAN!!!!!!

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I can't wait to see where they go with this. They've already shown that they're not going to string things out with magic and all the characters memories coming back within a single season. The new relationship between Snow/Mary and Emma, and also with Henry will be interesting to watch (imagine you suddenly get a daughter who is your age and become one of your closest friends, and a grandson who you've been teaching for years).

In fact I can't wait for the entire Sunday night lineup of Once Upon a Time, Revenge and 666 Park Avenue.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm glad they didn't string the memory thing out too long, but I thought them all getting it at once seemed a bit abrupt. Nevertheless, I, too, am interested in seeing the changing relationships--and seeing how the story changes as they have to
    actively oppose Regina.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There is an hour long season 1 recap on before the season 2 premeire.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I almost passed on this as I missed the majority of season 1, but it shalt be my new fav show. Time devour its wiki. i had no idea the Lost writers did this, and Tron : Legacy.

8. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I was able to watch all of season one during my latest deployment, it's certainly one of my favorite shows on TV right now.

Evil.

9. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Last night's episode was cray cray...but awesome.

I was wondering why Mulan, Sleeping Beauty, and Prince Philip didn't seem to have a parallel story with their Storybrooke alter egos...interesting. Very interesting.

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    They gave a lame excuse about how "the curse didn't hit their corner of the land."

Though we are utterly confused because if we remember the season 1 episode with Maleficent, weren't they talking about how Maleficent's sleeping curse had already been broken? And this was BEFORE Regina did the original Storybrooke curse.

And as dumb as it is, roommate and I totally squeed over the fact that Aurora's dress changed colors. It totally was the lighting in the shots, but her dress went from a blue to a purple/pink. Intentional or not, we thought it was a nice touch.

Although I really wanted Aurora and Mulan to TRY to kiss Phillip back and thought it would have been fantastic if Aurora's didn't work but Mulan's did.

Other episode thoughts:

- The One Night Stands bit made us crack up.

- Belle & Gold. Dear lord I still love them.

- WHO IS WHALE?

- So where's August? Is he just immobile as Pinocchio somewhere?

- One touch I did like was that when Regina had David all tied up with vines, it was the branches from the wallpaper. I can't remember if they utalized this in season 1, but I thought it was neat.

- Oh! And Postcard guy at the beginning! Who is it? He had a "Hatters" sign on his wall.

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Okay, so I went back and rewatched the Regina/Maleficent convo in s01e02.

M: "Weren't you about the same age when you were to be married before [Snow] ruined it all. Yes, you were."

R: "Yes it was about the same age you were when that Sleeping Beauty got the best of you, my dear Maleficent."

M: "I soldiered on, as you will too hopefully."

R: "Enough games. You know why I'm here. I need my curse back."

M: "It's not yours anymore. A deal's a deal. I traded you my sleeping curse."

R: "Which failed, undone by a simple kiss."

Hmm. Okay so granted, they're talking about Snow/David breaking the sleeping curse, but it still sounds like the whole Aurora/Phillip curse has been long done.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Pam from True Blood as Malificent was cool.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Perhaps they'll explain or find out why their part of the land was spared later.

14. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    This was something that an Entertainment Weekly recap touched on. They seemed to think that OUAT would have to retcon this bit.

And yeah, I remember their excuse about the curse not touching them but I liked how I didn't realize halfway through the episode that fairy-tale land and real-life land were happening in parallel of each other instead of being flashbacks and present-day, as they used to be.

Also, I read somewhere that people think that the random postcard guy might be Baelfire or Emma's ex/Henry's dad or both.

Also, can someone help me understand the Jefferson thing towards the end of season 1? I thought that he disappeared into another dimension when he fell out the window but then in the next episode (I think) he's helping Regina and obviously not stuck in another dimension?

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Storybrook iq test

I only got 6 out of 10. Just for the record I think Sneaky would be a better dwarf name than Stealthy. [face_bleh]

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
  17. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Just caught this S2E1 and I'm pleased and excited for the rest! I thought I was crazy when I thought Aurora's dress changed colors so I'm relieved to know that it did indeed change colors.

18. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I got an '8' on that test. Forgot Rumple's son's name and what happened to Jiminy Cricket's parents.

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    How can you forget the creepy marionettes? [face_hypnotized]

Also! Roommate has an idea on the continuity error. It's farfetched, but what if Maleficent isn't talking about Aurora?

20. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I still think Rumpel holds this show together. Emma is beyond annoying as the hero. And that whole thing with the good guys wanting to save Regina was just pathetic and lazy writing imo. "You ruined ALL of our lives and will undeniably continue to harm us, but we're one-dimensional good guys who will help you and expect you to no longer be evil for no reason what so ever! Yay us!"

21. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I don't think that they don't expect her to be evil. They just don't want to stoop to her level.

I got a 10 on the Storybrooke IQ test, but I almost got the question about Jiminy's parents wrong. They aren't the ones who got turned into marionettes, Gepetto's (?) parents were. Jiminy's parents got away.

22. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

Yeah, I know. But it was so poorly done and so stupidly cliche that it was pathetic. There was no substantial tension, no profound thoughts or feelings on the subject. Just a poorly done, "We need to save her!111!!"

And Emma is so, so, so annoying as the protagonist. She's either very poorly written, or very poorly acted (or some combination). But having recently seen this actress in reruns of How I Met Your Mother (a sitcom with some pretty neat and unique writing), I'm inclined to lean towards terrible acting ability (as I believe some reviews of Once Upon a Time noted last year).

She has just that one scowling look, much like that Twilight girl only as that one constipated look.

As for the character the actress is playing, Emma leaves a lot to be desired. We already understand the skepticism she feels about being the child of storybook characters, but why does she need to convey this in almost every scene? Why does she always have to be bitter about everything in every scene? Why does she also have to freaking whine and scowl and then whine some more? Even when Henry was proved right at the start of the episode (that they're all from a storybook world), Emma finds something new to whine about ("I wish I was cursed with you!1!1!!").

August makes for a much better hero. They should just give him the lead now. He's already burdened with guilt for past mistakes, wants to make amends with himself and his father, and will struggle to do the right thing despite the obstacles. He's got so much more going on for him than Emma's constant whining and lack of growing.

23. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Haha, wow, tell us how you really feel! :p

Sidenote: Jennifer Morrison was also in House. While I enjoy HIMYM, I don't think the writing is as all that. It's a primetime sitcom so it's going to cater to the greatest common denominator.

I don't find her reaction to finding out who her parents were surprising at all and I think she's justified in "whining". Her parents sent her away and she had a rough life, believing she was never wanted by her family. While she was sent away for a noble reason (to save all those who were cursed) and to be protected from the curse, I think it's okay that she's a little selfish in that she's bitter about growing up without a real family.

s65horsey likes this.
  24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I still want to know where August is. :(

25. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I tend to think he's still laying his bed as a wooden man and someone (Emma? Gepetto? The blue fairy?) will have to magic him back to being a real man.