main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Force Nexuses - What can we conclude?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tim Battershell, Sep 29, 2012.

1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Is that accurate, though? The source for that is The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia. They could just be citing a mistake in a reference book.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And we all know how full of mistakes the Complete Encyclopedia is. I'd take that info with a grain of salt.

3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Hence the "FWIW" caveat!

That was the story from the "Valley if the Jedi" entry - the "Mission to Ruusan" entry has all the trapped souls (Sith and Jedi alike) being set free. Unfortunately I don't own and have never played DF2-JK! Wish I did/had! There might be some clarification in the game's wrapup.

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    when i think of a dark side nexus i think of the sith academy in the kotor games. Where if you were strong enough in the light, you could overcome the darkness, but if you were not the darkness could overcome you.

and i never have thought as the Unifying Force as nuetral. though from a certain pov, it's all nuetral. The Living force focuses on the present and the value of each piece to the puzzle, while the Unifying Force is the long view, it gives you visions and helps you see the future. To me both views have weaknesses. The biggest weakness by far is to be full on Unifying Force, because then you become Jacen Solo. He did not value the individual, but felt that the few should be sacrificed for the many, for the big picture. I also thought Qui Gon had the right idea. don't live in the future, be here in the present.

5. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    I favour Kyle's and Jaden's approach - focussed on the here-and-now but not afraid of using "Dark-side" techniques for "Light-side" knowledge and defense purposes, while not slipping over into letting the ends justify the means.

DarthJenari and Zeta1127 like this.
  6. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i do ot like that approach. This skates too cose to Luke's approach in Dark Nest, and it was not healthy to the order.

7. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    From what I've heard, Cade doesn't have a problem with slinging a form of Force Lightning about!

Kyle seems to have been like that for a very long time - Jaden is still 'leaking' Force Lightning in the Crosscurrent/Riptide Era. Has Luke called either of them on it?

Guess I will have to be a Grey Jedi!

8. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I've always believed in the Unifying Force theory myself. Similar to the Potentium, but nowhere near as radical. I like Kyle's view too though, as I also see it as similar to the Unifying (Just watered down and acknowledging the Dark Side as something that exists). Cade's taken it a little far and definitely done some dark things, but then again so has Kyle in the past. Cade however just seems to believe that the ends justfiy the means, which is something Kyle shook himself of later in life. Jaden's problems all came from him doubting himself, which led to a problem with his power at first. No idea where this "new" Jaden's going to stand, or if he should even be called new.

Tim Battershell likes this.
  9. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Funny that the Potentium was considered 'heresy' but they let the Unifying Force view alone.

We now know why Jaden appears so handy with 'Dark-side' techniques - even if he doesn't!

Getting back on-topic, was 'the thing in the basement' of the Yavin 4 Academy (seen in Outcast) the Yavin 4 Nexus? If so, then it would have to have been created by Dark-side activities, given Yavin 4's history with various Sith Lords!

10. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    To be fair, he wasn't calling himself a Jedi while using Force Lightning. Or while getting high.

11. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    'Jedi' = Force User though, doesn't it (if only as a generic term)?

12. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Maybe to the layman. But certainly we can make the distinction.;)

13. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Well I think most only followed specific parts of the Unifying Force, like Yoda at one point.

I think it must've been, because it empowered Desaan.

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    so what can we conclude about force nexuses?

15. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    EU!Sidious was confirmed in the DE endnotes as having become a Force nexus himself, which is pretty unique. I wonder who else qualifies....

16. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    I would think as the strongest force user in the galaxy that Luke would qualify, if he let his power loose all the time like Sidious. I don't particularly like them, but I think the Ones must qualify. Perhaps Abeloth as well.

17. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Isn't Kyp stronger in the Force than Luke? I thought I read something in the NJO to that effect.

18. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    [face_laugh] In NJO Kyp thought to himself that he was stronger than Luke. That he always had been. When he first appeared in the Jedi Academy Trilogy i'm pretty sure that's what was intended as well. For him to be and eventually surpass Luke. I don't think the writing has ever managed to make that a reality though. And over the years i'm pretty sure most writers have ignored that idea.

Silas Allender likes this.
  19. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    It's when they were taking on the 'ranges' in (IIRC) 'Rebel Stand' - Luke nearly blacked out with the strain of redirecting the voids, but Kyp managed it without.

A pity that we've not seen (AFAICR) that much of Kyp in action since.

20. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    The real pity is that we've never gotten a novel on Kyp To really get a sense of his abilities and him. He's changed a lot since his first appearance.

21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    ok i will educate you . Kyp was stronger than Luke up till late NJO time period. Luke was holding himself back, limiting his raw power because he felt pure raw power was dark sided. Once Luke embraced his full power, ironically with help from Jacen and Vergere; Kyp could no longer hold a candle. This is best evidenced when Kyp struggled against one slayer, and Luke killed several on the way to Shimmra's throne room.

DarthJenari and Silas Allender like this.
  22. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Comparing Kyp to Luke or vice versa would be like comparing Mace Windu to Yoda. At one time, Mace Windu was the Grand Master, but eventually Yoda took up that title. At least, I'm pretty sure I read that. I could be wrong. Yoda was by far the most powerful Jedi of the prequels. Mace was a beast, but in my book Yoda was much stronger.

I would really like to see a Kyp novel. Establish his character a bit more.

23. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I may be mistaken - I never used the tactic myself - but I understand that during the duel the player could activate the nexus and empower Kyle. Which would suggest that this is another instance of a nexus being pure Force power rather than specifically alligned to the light or dark sides.

Possibly it would be wise to distinguish between those locations which are fonts of pure Force power - under both the old Jedi Temple and the Yavin Praxeum, and perhaps, Nam Chorios - and those locations greatly imbued with the light or dark side, such as the cave on Dagobah and Korriban.

Also: I think in Darth Plagueius the Jedi Temple and Coruscant itself was said to be a beacon of light due the number of Jedi resident. I'd suggest the Temple's 'lightness' and the wellspring are separate things.

24. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    IIRC, wasn't the Slayer Kyp fought weakened by Alpha Red?

Whereas Luke had also basically just steamrolled through countless Yuuzhan Vong mooks as this unstoppable one-man army with Jacen and Jaina having nothing to do but run after him and bat aside the occasional thud or razor bug that flew past him by the time he killed those several healthy Slayers, which, you know, just further highlights the difference between them when Luke wasn't holding back.

Further, Yoda was always the Grand Master during the Prequel era. Mace had been Master of the Order (a different title) at some point, but Yoda took that tile too later on during the Prequel era, I think that was the confusion there!

25. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Yeah i never did that myself, never even knew you could, but i've heard it was a possible way to defeat Desann. It depends though, Kyle can use both sides of the Force, so a Dark Side Nexus might not effect him as it would a Jedi who only used the Light Side.

Some places are Nexus's of the Dark, some of the Light, and some do appear to be neutral and anyone can access.

I know that "lightness" aspect was also mentioned in the ROTS novelization by Anakin. You may be right and the Jedi imbued the place with the Light Side, but the Nexus itself was always present from the start.