main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What plotline, character or scene in the entire Saga irritates you the most?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hudnall, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty much any effects added to the originals. Including the Ewok Celebration music. "Yub Nub" is the most amusing song ever.

Luke's scream in EST. You know the one.

"Only a sith deals in absolutes."

How Anakin is always complaining about something. Falling into that lava pit was the best thing that ever happened to him. At least as Vader he keeps his whining to himself. Or maybe I just think that because it's hard to whine in that voice.

I'm sure these have all been already said..

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Which scene irritates me the most? The credits. That means the movie is over

Valairy_Scot and Zeta1127 like this.
  3. lukemaraben

lukemaraben Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Padme. Her death scene just drives me up the wall! She just gave birth to twins - yet she loses the will to live.

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    This plotline doesn't really irritate me so much as it disappoints me because it seems like the biggest missed opportunity of the Saga:

Lucas' handling of Leia's character

Now, I really like Leia -- she's fun and engaging to watch. Sadly, though, her story isn't all that interesting because she is constantly marginalized. Hers could have been an amazing journey of coming into her own as a Rebel leader, dealing with hatred against the Empire, forging her own path (after Bail Organa's death), and trying not to become the very thing she hates.

Instead, her role in ANH is to act as a MacGuffin for Luke and no emphasis is placed on her emotional reactions or her perspective on unfolding events. Nor does she get to participate in the final battle (although ESB shows us that she must be an excellent pilot). The beginning of ESB is really my favorite version of her -- giving out orders to the Rebel soldiers, staying behind to help them, and generally being in charge. Then that all falls apart when the Empire vs. Rebellion plotline is dropped and the romance kicks in. I'm also not a big fan of Han's behavior towards her. ROTJ, then, is rather heart-rending in its treatment of her. Her most memorable scene is wearing a bikini (although killing Jabba was awesome) and then she goes and follows Han's lead even though she's been with the Rebellion longer than him and likely has more military experience (despite the fact that he's a smuggler). Plus, the revelation that the guy who tortured her twice is her biological father prompts absolutely no reaction (she doesn't even seem to acknowledge it).

It's depressing to me. Leia could have had an even more compelling story than Luke, but instead, she seems rather static and unaffected by unfolding events.

5. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    I pretty much agree with this, PiettsHat.

6. Xanatos90

Xanatos90 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    Episode III

Anakin Skywalker: Ray shields.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi: Wait a minute, how did this happen? We're smarter than this!
    Anakin Skywalker: Apparently not.

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I just finished watching ANH. I found it odd that after a big buildup of Leia trying to convince Tarkin not to destroy Alderaan, the movie never gave the audiences a peek into Leia's reaction to the destruction of her home planet. Instead, the scene jumped to Obi-Wan's reaction. And later, Leia did not look particularly distraught when Luke found her inside one of the Death Star's cells. After they escaped the Death Star, Leia was busy comforting Luke over Obi-Wan's death. Why? I mean . . . why didn't Lucas allow Leia to finally react over the destruction of Alderaan?

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Probably same reason he didn't allow Mark Hamill to tear up over Owen and Beru's deaths. Emotion is very understated in the Saga (with the exception of young Anakin proclaiming his feelings for Padme). Action trumps emotions.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't let it annoy me, in fact on some level I can appreciate that Lucas was aiming for understatement, but I do think that one of the only normal displays of emotion, if not the only normal display of emotion, in Star Wars was that of Anakin in the Lars garage.

10. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    I know it is cliche to say this, but about 90% of the scenes in which an Ewok appears.

11. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Luke had a very emotional reaction to Obi-Wan's death. It is possible that he did not regard the Lars at the same level as he did Obi-Wan. They did raise him, but they - especially Owen - were holding him back. Perhaps there was some part of Luke that was relieved to be finally free of the moisture farm.

12. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I love all the steps Lucus took to make all 6 movies look the same. Glad there is little difference between Ep 3 & 4. Lucas did a great job.

13. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I love all the steps Lucus took to make all 6 movies look the same. Glad there is little difference between Ep 3 & 4. Lucas did a great job.

14. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    The final duel during AOTC, it always bothered me how choppy it was, and it never was fixed.

15. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

It's not one of my favorite duels. Then again, I have never been that impressed with the duels in ANH and ROTJ.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    At least he didn't use the deleted scene: "And you call yourselves humans." It's like, you should be really upset right now.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Luke didn't care when the Lars died. His emotional reaction to their death was very messed up.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't care? Are you serious? He looked deeply effected from it to me

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I don't know. That's just how I interpreted it. He never mentioned them again too. He seemed way more upset when obi wan died.

20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I hate how we never got to see the Solo Twins too, or Luke be a jedi master and talk to anakin's ghost.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The one reaction we should have shown was Leia's reaction to Alderaan being destroyed. Luke and Leia talking to Force Ghost Anakin is a must as well. If they created a sequel trilogy maybe

22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Carrie fisher and mark hamill talking to sparkly glowy hayden christensen, their father, in normal appearance. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't bother me at all. I'd love that.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I didn't get why the Sith were evil. They were not evil, just a different faith than the Jedi. That bothered me a lot.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We see Palpatine's plans for Naboo involve a lot of suffering, in TPM.
    We see Palpatine start The Clone Wars via his apprentice Dooku, in AoTC
    We see Palpatine order the massacre of thousands of Jedi, including infants, in RoTS
    We see Palpatine's delight in torturing Luke, in RoTJ

Whether or not "Sith are evil"- Palpatine certainly is. And in the EU there's a lot of "Reject conventional morality- do anything to achieve your goals"- in Sith philosophy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.