main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC WTF is Michelle Bachmann smoking (clearly not chickpeas)

Discussion in 'Community' started by yankee8255, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Just saw this referred to in an Austrian newspaper, a google search lead me to this article. This is an Onion-esque hoax, right? Some select quotes:
    • "Chris, falafel is a gateway food," responded Bachmann, "It starts with falafel, then the kids move on to shawarma. After a while they say 'hey this tastes good, I wonder what else comes from Arabia? ... Before you know it our children are listening to Muslim music, reading the Koran, and plotting attacks against the homeland."
    • "I have a friend in Texas who has to homeschool her children because her local public school forces students to eat hummus. Its everywhere now. This is really scary stuff."
    • "I have no proof that President Obama is forcing our children to eat Arab and Middle Eastern food. But it would certainly fit the pattern."
    • "We must ban falafel and other jihadi foods in schools before its too late."
    She almost makes Iranian President Ahmadinejad seem sane.

Thread locked by request.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hate to break it to Ms. Bachmann, but I think Avengers is doing far better at introducing the kids to shawarma.

Edit: Darnit JoinTheSchwarz ! Well, so much for sleep tonight after looking at that picture.[face_plain]

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    ... I never thought an article about banning Mediterranean cuisine would fall under Poe's Law, but there you go. I legitimately cannot tell if it's a parody or if it's real.[face_plain]

5. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I'm only now realising what shawarma is -- in the German speaking world it's referred to as "Döner", essentially a local bastardization of Turkish food. And I love it. Clearly homeland Security needs to take away my US Passport and and keep me from ever visiting home again.

EDIT -- I see now that he Daily Currant is actually something of an Onion knock off, so, um never mind.

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    This type of food is delicious and I've only ever eaten this sort of food prepared by Christians . . .(with the exclusion of hummus bought in stores).

She cray cray.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I figured it was, but I wanted to get the Avengers ref in. ;)

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    It's not the same! Very similar but not the same. Still delicious, and the best drunk food ever.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  9. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Also they eat pets in China

Seriously, does no one check the page these things are from first?

10. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    My apologies, hadn't heard of The Daily Currant before. As I said, it was reported as a real story on a leading Austrian paper's website (diepresse.com). In the time between I read it there and started this thread, it was actually taken down.

In my defense, would anyone really have been surprised if Bachmann had really said that?

On that note, think I'm gonna have to get a Döner for lunch.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Good point, checking the front page should provide us with something so clearly satirical that there's no way we could
    OH GODDAMMIT.

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Again, is that fake Akin story really that much of a stretch?

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    In the title bar, it says "The Daily Currant - The Global Satirical Newspaper of Record"

That's also the mouseover from the article at the top to go back to the main page.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    THE THREAD IS LOCKED, DAMMIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.