main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT I have not watched the new Star Wars Blu-Rays.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by UK Sullustian, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Often times "I don't have the Blu Rays because I prefer the other versions" is met with the "you're in denial because that is Lucas' vision" or some other overgushing fan criticism. Just because one chimes in to respond to a topic doesn't mean he is joining whatever major reply-with-quoting argument has been going on for two pages.

2. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    That makes sense. But I was specifically responding to your quote. In any event, I do agree it's lame for one to pin "denial" on another simply for prefering a different version.

3. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I have not (and will not) buy the Blu Rays for a few reasons. Which sucks because I love SW and the clarity from what I've seen is amazing.

The whole Darth Vader "noooo" in ROTJ is so pointless. Maybe Lucas IS passive aggressive and punishing all of us for making fun of the ROTS "noooooo". Who knows?

And that rock in front of R2 in ANH looks sooooo bad. How did he get in there? How can he get out? Why was it even added?????

I can deal with the updated Death Star attack, new crap stuffed in Mos Eisley, the Wampa, etc. but the above two are just too much for me. Anyway, my two cents.

4. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    My one real gripe is the 'Jedi Rock' number. It doesn't ruin the movie for me, not by any stretch, but it does stick out like a cartoony sore thumb. It's actually since become a joke between me and my brother and friends. Everytime someone says or does something stupid, I mock them (à la "Matt Daaamon" style) by busting out with the lyrics:

[​IMG]

♫Koo nee tang, na' na' na'!!♫

...♫Cha tung ee-ma chay-choo raun ta-nee-ee-choo!♫

It really pisses 'em off.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    OMG I blocked this out LOL! I HATE Jedi Rocks. The original was so much better (and yes more believable without the excessive CGI).

6. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't have a Blu player but I saw them at a friend's & I wasn't bothered by the latest changes, I actually think the Ewoks blinking was a great idea. As for the "nooo" I can live without it (happily) but it didn't intrude on the scene, it was just kind of an unnecessary addition that neither adds nor detracts from the scene. There are some small tweaks to AOTC that are very effective & I was disappointed that GL didn't really recut that film, which has always needed a lot of work.

Edit: I can't believe anyone prefers Lapti Nek to the S.E. number. We go from a dated disco tune with a bobbing marionette to an actual song with fully animated performers. It's a vast improvement over what was there originally. ROTJ is the OT movie that needed the most work & I think most of the changes in 1997 were improvements, especially the Ewok celebration, which was just dire in '83, and got a lovely make-over in '97. Overall, ROTJ benefited from the additions. I especially love the Bantha herd that trundles past the camera....inspired.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes they are, but in the wrong way. They've put some shots in a new order, and now the score cut is noticeable. Not to mention the ugly teal shift. That's why I still keep the DVD.

8. Eternal_Hero

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah but the scene flows better now, I agree with the cut, and I didn't notice the score. There are a couple of other small tweaks, like Shmi in Ani's vision, that's also an improvement, IMO.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not sure how it flows better. Now Yoda is just standing there while Dooku escapes (See comparison).

I actually liked that change, but unfortunately we now have all the new problems I mentioned. Still prefer the DVD cut (and I hope they use that on the 3D release).

10. Eternal_Hero

Sep 21, 2012
    Knowing Lucas it'll be the DVD cut.

What do you mean by "teal shift"? Is that the green haze some people see on blu-ray discs?
    I can honestly say I didn't see any out of balance green tone myself on the blus and I saw them on a very nice system.

11. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Originally, the Sy Snootles band wasn't the focus of that scene, but the Oola-Jabba argument.
    Besides, it's STAR WARS. Music can't be dated. :cool:
    Blu Ray hasn't been a major jump from DVD for me to get excited about it and from what I've read, a lot of older movies have been quickly tossed on the format without much enhancement beyond what they were as DVDs. For example, right now, I'm watching Rough Magic from 1995 with Russell Crowe and Bridget Fonda on DVD. It looks nice and clear, yet not like it came out of a theater in 2012. I don't expect every movie that was put out on DVD to then get the perfect crisp and clear Blu Ray treatment. I was amazed at the culture shift when DVD came along and a lot of movies and then TV shows got released in the format, and the average person went from almost exclusively renting to buying.

Yunners likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd say otherwise. The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ben-Hur, Gladiator (second Blu-ray release), Gone with the Wind, Blade Runner, Jaws, and many others were completely restored and now have a new master which was used on the Blu-rays.

13. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Thinking about the NOOOO again - It's ruins the entire saga. From a moment of Zen. In touch with the true force. Serenity.

To a temper tantrum.

Lucas doesn't quite get Zen. Kasdan did.

Lucas no. It's also why he blew completely the Anakin fall.

UKS

Yunners likes this.
  14. Eternal_Hero

Sep 21, 2012
    Wait, doesn't Luke scream "noooo" in ESB when Vader reveals his identity?
    I guess Kersh didn't "get Zen" either...

15. FirstStarWars

FirstStarWars Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    The word "Noooo" is played a lot. As we know
    Vader in ROTS,
    Luke in ESB
    Luke again in Jedi when Vader talks about turning Liea
    Vader killing the Emperor
    It kind of ties all those other things together. And I bet seeing Luke get the lighting bolts brought Anakin back to seeing Maci get it. I'm sure in his mind he was always saying no

Jarren_Lee-Saber and kainee like this.
  16. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    "Wait, doesn't Luke scream "noooo" in ESB when Vader reveals his identity?
    I guess Kersh didn't "get Zen" either..."

And you make my point for me. Luke in ESB is the entire crux of the conversation. He loses control and flusters and panics. He gives into fear and sadness. "NOOOOO!"

Then he breaths. relaxes, finds a zen moment and lets go. Better dead then dark.

I assume that Lucas has taken out the scream (that appeared in the "Special Editions" from the Bespin drop?) He did in the DVD IIRC.

Vader's reaction at the end of the original ROTJ seemed to be a deliberate mirror of Obi-Wans behaviour in ANH. Zen in death. the Jedi Way.

Instead, Lucas has made Vader have a tantrum over his son's torture. He is still embracing the dark side by doing so. Anger and fury powering his behaviour. How does that turn him back? He needs to act out of peace not out of anger.

So yeh: Completely misses the point, the background, the story, and the overall narrative.

Good work George!

UKS

P.S It seems that Lucas hates Star Wars now, given his extreme comments in the news over the fans and the use of characters to advertise anything no matter the quality. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it deliberately to antagonize and troll the SW community.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. XAFSSGT

XAFSSGT Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2012
    I purchased the blu ray set the day it came out, hell I had it pre-ordered for six months prior to release.

Boy, was I disappointed. I ended up just putting the set on eBay, and making my money back on it.

Lucas messed with stuff too much for my taste, I went back to my DVD set with the theatrical releases on it.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Now I've read everything...

19. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Sure, major heavily-acclaimed classics like those have gotten completely restored releases (and got decent DVDs as well).

20. Jedi Josh Jericho

Jedi Josh Jericho Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2012
    That "NOOOO" from Darth Vader is the reason why I didn't get the Blu-Ray version.
    I don't care if people think im being "picky"
    Im happy with the original version thank you very much.

21. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    I pretty much bought the Blu ray set just for the Original Trilogy deleted scenes.

And the original vintage making of documentaries were also a nice addition, although they should also have included "From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga".

Jarren_Lee-Saber and JediWheelz like this.
  22. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    Did you read his interviews when Red Tails came out and he announced his retirement?

If not, go hunt them down. They were not the words of a man who loves his creation. They are the words of an exasperated man who wants to leave this wreck behind. He got horribly burnt with the Prequels. TPM was badmouthed, so he added loads of "Fanboyish" things he thought the audience wanted (Yoda and Sidious fighting. Jedi Wars!) and when it still fell flat, he was hurt. He has never (and again the evidence is in the behind the scenes videos and books) taken Star Wars that seriously. Not like Tolkien or GRR Martin take/took their work. He has always been quite indifferent to Star Wars. It was supposed to be a quick Flash Gordon esque b-movie that exploded in his face and he has ridden that wave ever since.

Again, don't believe me. Read the behind the scenes books. I used to have a lot of time and respect for George. These days not so much. I guess all creative careers end in failure.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, what about them?

How so? And even if not, his actions are what counts (see his involvement on TCW and the re-release of the movies in stereo).

Right...

Did he? Source, please.

Again, you make many baseless assumptions and accusations, but there is never a source for them. Who are you to say that he made Sidious duel Yoda not because he wanted? And Jedi Wars? If you're reffering to the Clone Wars, that was in his mind back ever since the OT.

Show me the evidence. I have all three bonus DVDs and the making of books of Episodes I and II (all of which disprove that).

No, you read them. Because clearly that didn't happen, otherwise you wouldn't be making such ridiculous remarks.

24. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Sounds to me like you're taking binary thinking to the extreme, psychoanalyzing the motivations of a film producer/director/artist who (I'm assuming) you've never even met and projecting onto him an entire, fully formed attitude based on a handful of cherry-picked quotes and excerpts that have either been exaggerated, taken out of context or both, with near endless room for bias interpretation. It's just more of the same: disgruntled fans creating their own narratives about Lucas and his films to best fit their own perceptions, and to further justify them.

I too am familiar with many of these comments Lucas has made about Star Wars over the years, all of which simply paint him as a real person with a sensible, unpretentious reflection on this life's work -- films that no one forced him to make and which, by all sound logic, he clearly financed to fulfill his own passions. And indifference to negative fan reactions does not necessarily equate indifference to the work itself.

25. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I just found that I can use my TV's zoom feature to make the theatrical versions "bonus discs" fill the screen like the anamorphic widescreen versions, with nothing cut off. The colors get a little goofy sometimes and the picture can be grainy, but it is more tolerable to me than watching in 4:3 letterbox, or switching discs throughout the films, or settling with the newer versions. This will do until I have a semester to take a course on how to get the Despecialized edition, since apparently that's what complex method would require.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.