main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Share your "list" of nice things we got with the PT...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Good answer! :)

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Welcome to the PT forum Jordan1Kenobi. :)

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  3. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    I know I'm in the minority (and I'm already braced for flame-age), but...

Hands down, the best thing out of the Prequel Trilogy for me were the Neimoidians. I've loved them since Episode I came out, and now, they've provided me with an endless source of interest and inspiration. I know it probably sounds over-the-top, but thanks to Neimoidians, my art skills have improved tenfold, I've been published, and I've been given amazing opportunities such as said publications and an upcoming podcast interview. On a personal note, my love of Neimoidians has seen me through three of the worst years of my life, and given me something I know I can take refuge in. I know it sounds silly, but I'm sure someone among you all can relate to having Star Wars be a light in darkness; I just choose to focus my love on a certain species 8D. I think they are fascinating, intelligent, and incredibly beautiful!

That being said, I also love all the other new species we've been introduced to (Chagrians, especially); the senate scenes; the Jedi; the podrace; the Trade Federation; and, of course, the fact that it led into The Clone Wars series!

4. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I can't say I share your love for Neimoidians (Shatnerians?), but I'm glad they have provided you with inspiration to pursue your art and be successful. Nice!

Kweh-chan and Valairy Scot like this.
  5. Kweh-chan

Mar 7, 2006
    Thank you!

And, er...thanks for not flaming me 8D

6. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    I wouldn't flame anyone or troll threads. I may disagree with other posters' opinions, but I wouldn't personally attack anybody. That being said, I disagree with your stance that Neimoidians are intelligent. I think they came across as bumbling and cowardly ignoramuses. The Three Stooges could have pulled off a more efficient blockade and invasion of Naboo. ;)

If you like Neimoidians, I would recommend you watch a fan-made edit of TPM called "Balance of the Force". The editor, known as MagnoliaFan, managed to turn the Neimoidians into a menacing and sinister threat, simply by replacing their English (Basic) speech with an alien language and inserting new dialogue by way of subtitles. It's worth a watch for sure. Even if you prefer the TPM Neimoidians, it's interesting to see a new perspective.

Cheers!

7. Kweh-chan

Mar 7, 2006
    Well thank you! I know that a great many people don't think as you do, and, elsewhere, I may as well be slaughtering kittens, so I certainly appreciate your open-mindedness.

I think they were ill-prepared and out of their league. Neimoidians are businessmen, not warriors; they had a fleet of freighters and relied on fairly rudimentary droids (still better than growing your own army in a test tube, I think). To me, it's akin to an accountant dogfighting in a Boeing 747, instead of an air force pilot with an F-22. That being said, yes, the blockade was inefficient and probably doomed to fail. I think I've also spent enough time "around" and researching Neimoidians and their culture to the point where their cowardice, and other such apparent-nuisances, doesn't really strike me as odd or irritating. I understand why it's so...things are done differently in Neimoidian society to human society, so it's all just a matter of perspective and what we're used to. Still I can understand why it bothers so many people.

I will look out for that fan edit; I'd be especially curious to hear their new language. I'm still waiting for some official Pak Pak (outside of that in the "Galactic Phrasebook and Travel Guide"), after all.

8. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Well, I must admit the language used in the fan edit is very bizarre, as I believe he took the actual film dialogue and played it backwards while deepening it by an octave or two. It was not the best result, but with limited resources, it was pretty well done.

9. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    Obi Wan Kenobi - Jedi Detective!

That's my favorite part of the PT!

Darth Vader likes this.
  10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That's a great story Kweh Chan. Personally, I would have liked a little less bumbling but they still were a welcome addition to the saga overall.

Kweh-chan likes this.
  11. Kweh-chan

Mar 7, 2006
    Thank you!

I think, in the words of Amidala, they were "lost and confused." Neimoidians aren't warriors, and blockading a planet was not on their agenda. Obviously, they had no choice but to follow Gunray's orders; however, I have no doubt in my mind that, by the time he set foot on Mustafar, if not long before then, he regretted ever working with Sidious and joining the Separatists. Greed can certainly be their downfall, yet is equally integral to Neimoidian culture: a real double-edged blade.

War strategy need not equal intelligence. Numerous canon sources have attested to both Rune Haako's and Lott Dod's intelligence; Dod, especially, is evident simply from TCW.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Kweh-chan : you mentioned art in your post above about Neimoidians. Did you draw/paint that pic in your icon?

13. Kweh-chan

Mar 7, 2006
    I did, yes! I have a whole gallery of almost nothing but Neimoidian artwork.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Good job, that looks pretty cool. :cool:

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    You must be as obsessed with the Nemodians as I am with Kit Fisto and General Grievous! That's good! I'm glad that others find the supporting characters some of the best things of the PT, and I gotta say the Nemodians were pretty cool in both the PT and TCW, Nute Gunray and Rune Haako were great :)

16. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    1. Seeing Obi-Wan in action in Clones and Sith. He was the best thing about the prequels for me.
    2. Darth Maul
    3. Seeing more of the incredible Emperor. Wonderful acting as well.
    4. Seeing Anakin defeated by Obi-Wan.
    5. Jango Fett and the Clonetroopers
    6. Seeing the Wookies battle droids. I wish the scene was longer.
    7. The opera scene in Sith.
    8. More incredible John Williams music.

17. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I would also have to add to the list all of the things talked about in this doc:

Some of the comments of the big names in this doc are very telling of what a revolution the PT made in Hollywood visual effects and the production industry overall!

Just look at what J.J. Abrams says about SW in relation to Star Trek towards the end of the doc.

Its something along the lines of "They told me "well trek came out first" and i told them that doesn't mean anything SW and Lucas outdid it ten fold"

=D=

18. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Anakin giving Padme the necklace. So cute.
    Natalie Portman looked like Carrie fisher's mother
    Hayden Christensen was perfect for young, pre-suit vader, mostly in looks and voice, and largely in acting too.
    Vader's immolation and getting the samurai suit
    When Vader finds out padme died, and breaks free off of the operating table
    Luke and Leia being born the same time their father loses his humanity and becomes more machine now than man-the cyborg samurai we all know and love
    Padme's family
    Anakin became evil to save luke and leia's mom in childbirth to them, after a force vision
    The scene in the mustafar duel, where anakin did an expression that made him look exactly like luke-his son
    How anakin skywalker was based off of Faust
    Anakin's supernatural conception by the force
    Anakin being the Chosen One
    The love theme
    Droid armies
    The plot point with rescuing the chancellor
    Space battle in ROTS
    Little anakin was cute
    Geisha looking padme
    Older anakin/young-pre suit vader was very handsome
    Vader's yellow sith eyes
    The scene with Vader and the CIS on mustafar
    Mustafar itself was a volcano planet!
    Genosians planet was cool!
    The arena battle.
    Padme's cinnanom buns haircut
    Vader force choking Padme
    Emperor zapping mace windu
    Anakin's haircut

19. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    In general, the PT expanded the universe tremendously, not just in scope, but in time (i.e. history). All we knew from the OT is that Vader was a fallen Jedi who'd help the Emperor to kill the Jedi. The word Sith wasn't even mentioned, although it was there in the scripts. Now we know that the Jedi/Sith had been at it for thousands of years, in various incarnations, that the Sith had a rule of two, how the Senate and the Jedi operated and even that Palpatine's own mentor had power over life and death. The sens of living history and mythology, already present in the OT, was greatly extended with the PT. You really get a feeling that this seemingly futuristic society is at the same time very ancient which is rare in science fiction.

20. Kweh-chan

Mar 7, 2006
    Thanks very much! :)

If you've made a life-sized Kit Fisto or General Grievous, then, yes, I am very definitely as obsessed as you! ;)

I agree entirely, the supporting and background characters were what really made the prequels for me, for reasons beyond the Neimoidians. They opened up the Star Wars universe like nothing before.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  21. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I couldn't agree more. And no I haven't made a life-sized Kit or Grievous, lol, but that would be epic!