main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If you were to recommend that someone see only ONE Star Wars movie...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Started and finished it!!!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo353/gl2814/8d8af24e.jpg

2. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I agree.

Further, the 1977 Star Wars film is the only one of the six that doesn't take place in the "Star Wars Universe". A person can watch the 1977 film and simply enjoy it on its own terms. The other five movies require a certain predilection for the "mythology" of Star Wars. This in part accounts for the fact that even ESB (which sold the most tickets of the five later Star Wars movies) had only 55% of the ticket sales of the 1977 SW film.

3. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    There're more:
    What's gonna happen to the Empire and the Emperor?
    Who will Leia end up with?
    When will Han repay his debt to Jabba?
    How will Luke train as a Jedi now after Ben died?
    Speaking of Ben, what was his talk about being "more powerful than you can imagine"?

I'd say ANH is about even with TPM in terms of loose ends. However, ANH has more explanation of the universe (especially regarding the Jedi and the Force). Of course, TPM actually shows us the Jedi Knights in action so the background information is not that necessary.

So for a kid, I'd say go with TPM. For adult, I'd still prefer ANH primarily because it's a big piece of the cinema history. Besides, it's the perfect combination of all the elements that made Star Wars such a phenomenon, more so than any other episode. If you don't like it, you're likely be left code with the entire saga.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    ANH, without a doubt.
    None of the episodes were truly meant to stand alone, but that one was designed with the possibility of no sequels in mind, which makes it work really well on its own. I believe that TPM works well on its own, too, but ANH is a bit stronger as a standalone experience - especially with the ending battle. It's intense!
    Furthermore, ANH has basically everything that makes Star Wars what it is. After all, it was the first movie in the series. It established the whole concept of Star Wars.

Star Wars is great
    /LM

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Revenge of the Sith...its the only one that would motivate new fans to watch the other versions.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Episodes 4 or 5

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    ANH hands down.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith

10. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    It really depends on who it is for.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and epithree like this.
  11. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    The Phantom Menace hands down.

12. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Star Wars (1977). The true first chapter of the Adventures of Luke Skywalker.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  13. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back.

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd say AOTC or ROTS because people would be amazed by them because of all the action scenes and want to watch the others, I would say ANH but since it's quite old people who haven't watched Star Wars before might not find it as good, but once they've watched AOTC or ROTS they'll want to watch them all :)

15. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I totally agree with what this guy says Episode III is the way to go!

16. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    People over hype ANH very often, without ROTS & ESB its. Just as corny as AOTC.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith

18. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

If it is to keep a kid entertained then probably one of the newer ones would be just as safe, if not more safe, as any. If it was an adult, you could probably even go for something like ESB and expect them to be able to fill in the blanks in general based on years of watching films with similar character development and plots. But regardless of age, If you wanted them to walk away with a true appreciation of what the SW phenomenon is really all about, I'd go for an OT film and most likely ANH, though ROTJ would at least introduce them to the culturally-referenced Jabba and Ewoks stuff.

I would be afraid to show an adult TPM as an example of the Star Wars film library, there is just too much in there IMO that is geared toward kids and it might make them look at you funny once the credits roll. For my money, it is ANH. At least it would show them the story where the franchise and the hype, all began, give them both a great story with great cinematic achievements as well as a bit of a history lesson. The PT films are just too uneven in tone for me personally to think of introducing an adult to them that has never seen SW films.

19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't know. I would recommend either THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, ATTACK OF THE CLONES or REVENGE OF THE SITH.

20. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    A New Hope or The Phantom Menace because both are more self contained stories than the rest of the movies

21. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    =D=

22. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    Oh lord. The Neimoidian lover in me is screaming "Episode I;" however, reason must prevail.

Despite my favourites being TPM and ROTJ, I firmly believe TESB is, by far, the best of the entire saga. As far as I'm concerned, it's a perfect film. If I wished for someone to see the best of the saga, that would be it. BUT, I think if I wanted someone to just see ONE film to get the best idea of the saga, it would have to be ANH.

In many ways, it works brilliantly as a stand-alone film, whereas TESB requires some amount of history and knowledge of another episode. I mean, it's the original Star Wars! Besides, if the person enjoys it, then it means they can move onto the other films and continue the story as is!

23. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I'd have to say episode 3, but...... i like return of the Jedi, so i'd say 6, then again maul is epic, and the pod race was awesome in episode 1. Oh wait, lots of people like the clones maybe... wait, no, empire strikes back, it got boba fett! But then again, a new hope started it all.......

You know what, we need to combine all the movies into one big movie and have them watch the all!

Then again, the clone wars movie is exceptional.......

24. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I would like to see the results of the experiment where someone is shown the Clone Wars movie as the quintessential example of Star Wars.... :confused:

Random Comments likes this.
  25. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    [face_laugh] Yeah, I'm not so sure about that one...

Don't get me wrong, I like The Clone Wars movie, but as the only example someone would ever see? Not so much...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.