main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit THE TOR ENCYCLOPEDIA: Spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Republic isn't a rump state yet

2. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I saw it today but will buy it next week. Tendra's picture is in there. finally we know what she looks like, and a mutilated Raynar Thul.

3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Thats the Readers guide. This sounds more interesting however

4. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    I hope so. Revan's involvement in TOR had greater potential than rescue mission and getting rid off him.

Ceiran, anything about other star forges - the Foundry and the terraforming one? Is there something new revealed about Vitiate? What happened to Canderous?

I'm waiting (probably no only me) for more juicy spoilers from you :)

5. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Do the Force powers that are available/referred to in the game have entries?

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    nope not at all

7. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    No Canderous info so far but am not yet at Bounty Hunter/Fringe section. stuck with Sith currently.
    so will reply to Foundry and co only after I read more of the book

as for Revans fate... thee is definitely more than rescue and getting rid. all is connected in his bio entry with some hint at his reasons and motivations for why he did what he did.

it goes like: Revan while imprisoned delayed the Sith Emperors invasion for centuries, then later manipulated the Sith Emperor to get a temporary peace and the Treaty done to buy the Republic more time saving lots of lifes. During that peace he was rescued and shared all he learned about the Sith and the Emperor with the Jedi Council but centuries in captivity had shaken his mind and he embarked on a last journey.

Quote of last part of Revan bio pages:
    "Revan's final fate is lost to history. After sacrificing sanity and years of his life to safeguard the Republic from the Emperor, Revan once again fell prey to the tragic flaw that previously drove him to spark the Jedi Civil War. His last recorded location was the Foundry, an ancient installation where he planned to raise a massive droid army to annihilate the Empire once and for all. Revan's plot was ultimately defeated by an Imperial strike team sent to claim the Foundry for the Empire. Though Revan is presumed dead, his legacy lives on as a beacon of hope, valor and strength for the Republic."

I read that as:
    -Revan tried once more alone to fight back instead of coordinating with the Republic and Jedi dangerously close to the dark side but not fallen, like walking the grey line using both sides.
    -Revan may have survived, no final death in stone.
    -And his actions have meaning and are not just dumb getting rid and such.

I hope you agree?

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I do like that it seems to suggest that the potential to spark the Jedi Civil War was always Revan's, and not merely the Emperor's brainwashing. I much prefer to think that the Emperor only used what he was given; that he did not implant thoughts into Revan or Malak's head, but merely amplified the ones already existing. Like in the case of starting the Civil War, Revan was always willing to go to great extremes, even if it causes great destruction, to do what he feels is right. Much more interesting than thinking of him as a good Jedi who was controlled, at least.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Interesting... I like the expansion of what Revan was up to during his [however brief] return to the galactic stage. :)

People should have demanded an Extended Edition final Revan cutscene like they did for Shepard in ME3. :p

RafSwi7 likes this.
  10. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Yes I do. Sorry, I'm not English speaker so I didn't express properly about "getting rid of him". I meant that I hoped for more interactions with him after Maelstrom Prison - not that his actions were unimportant or dumb. That is why I hope that we will see more of him in future expansions.

Thanks for info.

11. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I am german myself, no native english speaker. so I understand you very well and your english is great I think ;)

12. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    I am a native English speaker, and I've heard far worse. I understand what you mean, and that's enough for me, anyway. [face_peace]

13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Ooooooh... Imperial Reclamation Service has nice information...

and this quote that easily could apply to continuity discussions here ;)

"The Imperial Reclamation Service shores up the foundations against the flood of forgetfulness and misinformation that threatens our history."

Archological Digs discovered:
    Hoth: features ancient Sith Temple of the Sadow'een, Naga Sadows personal assassins.

14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    ...Hoth? o_O

15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh 3000 years is a long time

And it is a big planet with underground tunnels galore. Or have you forgotten Classic Star Wars?

16. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    ok spoileroverload... Dread Masters, Tulak Hord, Terrak Morrhage, Sith Emperor, Alloysius Kallig and lots more... can't post it all. so patience.

definitely lots of stuff on not only TOR sith but also ancient Sith and Sith history. also nice writeups on difference between sith and jedi spirits/ghosts. they are indeed the same, with Jedi accepting to pass away and not linger on except for important messages, but believing the people need to find their own way, whereas Sith cling to life.

this book is so comprehensive and complex... I am still speechless.

but one has to note it does not tell all. Companions storylines for example are briefly adressed only in their bios, but not to their end, rather up to meeting the hero, or shortly thereafter only with connections pointed out. still the classstories are fully featured and a certain canon path is noticable but not for all decisions/events along the line.

and the writeups for lightsabers and doublebladed lightsabers have statboxes listing the average hilt-weigths of both! so.. I hope all costumers have lightsabers that meet these weigths ;)

also the text on the Emperors Imperial Guard (nonforcesensitives) is impressive... even highestranking Sith fear them and accept death by their weapons rather than fighting it knowing it is for the better for them that way. Even Dark Councilors would rather accept death by the guard rather than face them in battle. and they are nonforceusers! goddammit I love them already :D

also nice huge textboxes for Emperors Children, Hand, Wrath, Voice, etc.

Emperors Hand: 12 total, share Emperors longlivety, have no memories of past and live only for the Emperor

also a lot of the Emperors safeguard mechanisms are described... and at fault always is Revan of course since he showed the Emperor centuries ago how vulnerable he is and that he needed protection, decoys, etc.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Am I the only one who will find this book more interesting than the game itself? Considering the lack of a definitive path/ending for an MMO, I am much more interested in seeing how this era is finally chronicled than I am in the ambiguity and open ended lack of closure an MMO leaves me with.

Granted, I loved KOTOR 1 and 2, so I do understand the need for ambiguity of choice in game design itself... I just want the era to have a clear end at some point.

Would you be willing to spoil any closure the book might give on the Emperor and Revan? You say it addresses both to an extent, but how so? Any post game story info, and what is it? Feel free to use spoiler tags for those who may not wish to know.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    post game info not so much since the game will continue with expansions and such after the "first round" of the game as it is now I am sure. but the fates of the Emperor and Revan were adressed as I noted above so they could be read either way. the game ends the temporary peace for allout war again, and the Emperor is killed. Revan is dead. but both might still survive somehow or using clever tricks. so far the Empire is in disarray and the Republic on the winning side but still a long shot from actually winning the war. so the next game expansion or TOR 2.0 will certainly deal with the new war and new leadership of the Empire.

so far no true end in sight that explains how the Red Sith died out, how all Sith, artifacts, ghosts, etc. were wiped out and cleansed so that 1000 years later by the time of the start of the New Sith Wars NO Sith was left alive or no sith cult in secret to carry on as per previous canon.

19. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Going to get this book but quite a few things mentioned are actually in the game from what I have seen. So, some of it is reiteration... the Sadow'een are present in the Sith Inquisitor story where you find that they had made some temple for their fallen on Hoth where they interned their dead for some reason. They were described as being the personal assassins of Naga Sadow (I know, duh :p) and were responsible for killing Horak-mul where his spirit started haunting the ice world. He later asks the Sith Inquisitor to destroy the Sadow'een temple as revenge for his death.

Not trying to dampen anyones spirits from getting the game but just saying :)

20. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Summarizing "big deaths":

Sith Emperor - presumed dead, but from Sith Warrior storyline we know that he survived and he is recovering now.

Revan - presumed dead, but Drew Karpyshyn answered in various e-mails that "you never actually see him die" or "we left the door open just a little bit in case we want to ever bring him back" or even "that doesn't mean he can't be redeemed again later".

Malgus - dead?

Right?

I knew they were good.....I didn't know they were THAT good. An yet Revan, Scourge and Meetra killed at least 4 of them. Impressive feat.

Back to spoilers:

Have you finished the entire book?

Anything about rebuilding HK-47 after Malgus rebellion?? Any exact age given for Revan? And what with previous questions (about the Froundry etc.)??

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Wasn't the sequence of events in the different class stories that the Sith Warrior was only referring to the Emperor's death at the hands of the Jedi Knight, but that his "final death" (as far as we know) was at the hands of the Jedi Consular who, my understanding, killed the last of the Emperor's Children after the Warrior made that claim?

Right now, the patches (and some of the leaked stuff I remember reading on the old TOR thread -- has that thing been rescued from new posting date chaos yet??) have struck me as building up the Dread Masters as the next big threat, in a kind of parallel to the free-for-all that broke out with the Triumvirate after Revan was gone.

22. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Maybe? I am not sure. Did the Jedi Consular killed the LAST of the Emperor's Children? I thought that he/she killed the First Son and after that other Children are visible to Jedi now - or something like that - I can be wrong.

In my opinion that message from Emperor's Hand indicated that his recovering will take some time. I think that his spirit may returned to his true body (if he still has it) - but this is pure speculation on my part.

I wonder if Ceiran can clarify this a little bit.

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

not yet finished... it is a thick book.. thicker or as thick as Readers Companion! am just at the halfway mark ;) so a lot still to come. Malgus and all that I will soon read. saw Mandalorian chapters of awesomeness have Canderous information and lists of Mandalores with texts on them and such, not sure yet if new bits too but he is featured at least in text. Still waiting myself for HK-47 and such intel. Foundry was mentioned in Revan bio but nothing besides that yet.

no exact age for Revan yet... but I got a pet theory: since the Jedi Council brainwashed him after Bastilas team captured him before KOTOR, maybe they did change his facial look too so nobody would recognise the blank slate as Revan? only few recognised him.. and Malak might have recognised his Force signature rather than face. so maybe they rejuvenated his face :p cause I still worry how 40+ year old Revan is marrying about 18 year old Bastila ;) Nothing against love across agegaps, it just is weird for american prude storytelling. Though KOTOR games were hardly prude. so.. we'll see.

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Ceiran can, not all Children are dead he only killed many Children and the First Son, so many children are now findable by the Jedi! so they are as good as dead or captured I bet if none evades capture. How the Emperor survives, or if he does is still a mystery.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Did you ever come across any additional information about the Mon Cal Supreme Chancellor or the status of Dac in this period? It appears, based on the in-game map, to either be in Sith Space or on the edge. Or, given the Mon Cals penchant for holding on against all odds, it is a Republic fortress system surrounded by Sith occupied worlds.

--Adm. Nick