main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Not "new", but returned. (force ghost?)

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Joined this forum in early 2008, I hung around for about a year, wrote one embarrassing piece of fanfiction, and left.
    Its been a few years, but I am GLAD to be back! This place is awesome and so is Star Wars. May the Force be with you.

2. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    Welcome back!

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Welcome back Jarren_Lee-Saber! :)

May the Force be with you as well.

4. -Remi-

-Remi- Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 8, 2007
    Welcome back Jarren!!!

Question, which area of the force.net forums do you hail from? :D

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome back! :D

Nice to see you returning. Hopefully you'll stay longer than a year this time. :)

Are you still writing FanFic? You've found those boards again, right? :)

6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I'm not sure what you mean.

7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Nope, gave it up when I realized I couldn't write :D

Maybe some humorfic - someday

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Welcome back. Very exciting. Join a social thread.

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Welcome back and embarrassing fiction is my forte!!! Never be ashamed of your work! ;)

10. -Remi-

-Remi- Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 8, 2007
    Sorry about that. I posted really fast anyway. So did you hang around the Fanfic area before your leave of absence? :)

11. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Or you start with comics. How about that? You have story ideas, which doesn't work in "books", but maybe it helps to start with comics. Short text, stories are told fast but also gives readers something to discover, if you enjoy details in the background of pics. :)

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah... cheapen my vocation... if someone isn't good enough to work in real books, stoop down to work in those 'funny books'.

Seriously, though, she is right. Maybe your pacing or narrative leanings are tailored more toward sequential art or some similiar format. Wouldn't hurt to try it out. You don't have to be an "artist" to block out some panels with stick figures or basic line drawings and see whether or not your stories flow better in a format such as that. If you mess around with it, the one bit of advice I will give you in advance is this: Use your gutters wisely. The gutter is the space between panels. In that space is where your reader becomes co-writer. In that space, if you utilize it wisely, is where the reader determines how fast the action happens between 2 images. Or where a punch lands if you only show someone knocked out in the second image. Or where a blaster bolt hits a ship if you only show the ship falling from the sky after seeing the cannon fire. If you have any writing skill, whatsoever, and understand pacing & gutters, you can possibly reformat any/most of your ideas into comics.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, I absolutely did. There is some fanfic in there that is better than some of the official novels.

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Just found out that most of that story is gone ( I guess from when the site changed). This is a GOOD thing! :p

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Many 'Truncated' posts were lost in the move sadly, but seems this pleases you, so thats a good thing then!

16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Well it was HORRIBLY written! The bits that were there caused me to facepalm repeatedly.
    Never again.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It was like some sort of providential unbiased editing. :p Whatever is left of it is what you need to begin reworking from...

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yes, start with the same plot and re write!

19. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    Welcome back! I love that so many people are coming back.

Is there anyway to retrieve the missing parts of those posts? I had somehow forgotten that I never finished one of my fanfics but am willing to go back and finish it, but it's pretty difficult if I can't figure out what's happened.

20. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    They Admins are working on it, but at this stage, no. Sadly we did ask people to save fictions etc to their own computers just in case and unfortunately the just in case happened. :( As far as I know, they are still working on fixing this problem.

21. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    The particular fanfic is over 10 years old. It would be a nice surprise if everything could magically pop back but I understand the huge undertaking the admins and techs have assumed in order to allow these forums to thrive. I will always be thankful these forums are here. It's nice to have a home where we can sperg as much about Star Wars as possible and have people understand what you are saying.

22. DancingBobcat

DancingBobcat Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2012
    I'm also returning to these boards after a while away; after the last trilogy died down I wandered off and was content to read the paperbacks as I find them at the local used bookstore. Now that the new films have been announced I'm excited to embark on another half-decade-plus of speculation, opinion, and assumptions!