main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What happened to those Death Star types

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by FirstStarWars, Sep 24, 2012.

1. FirstStarWars

FirstStarWars Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Sorry I don't know what to call them. On the Death Star 1 there seems to be cabinet or head of powers at the table. Like Governor Tarkin. However you never really see these type of people again after ANH all the others in the Empire seem more like officers. The Death Star guys seem more like congress members. Was this a how the rank system looked until the old senate was completely gone? The Imerial senate that Liea speaks of? We know also at the time of ANH the Emperor has finally ended all the old senate. After that it was just Emperor and Vader running things?

2. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I'm pretty sure it was some of the Imperial Admiralty. There was at least one Grand Admiral there. They probably disbanded after the meeting and went back to their respective posts.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, if they stayed on the Death Star for a while after that meeting we all know what happened to them.

4. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    They evacuated at their moment of triumph. Obviously.

5. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They were either members of the Navy or of the Government, so they could be really anything specific. You would have to look them up individually. (If they even have that recorded).
    I'm sure some of them evacuated, but as Wookieepedia states
    "All personnel on-board the Death Star were killed when the station exploded, including Tarkin, GeneralCassio Tagge, Admiral Conan Antonio Motti and other high ranking officers on Tarkin's staff."
    Not very specific, but gives me the general idea that Tarkin probably did not give the order to evacuate, so many stayed on the station.
    EDIT: Going to clarify that the Empire had a few different branches: Army, Navy, Government and the Intelligence Bureau. Wookieepedia has a good explanation:

With the rise of the Empire, all the institutions of the old Republic found themselves either dismantled or modified beyond recognition. There was a riot of renaming all things "Imperial" to glorify the new Emperor: overnight, the Coruscant sector was renamed the Imperial Sector, Coruscant itself was renamed Imperial Center, and Galactic City was renamed Imperial City. The Galactic Senate became theImperial Senate. The Grand Army of the Republic became theImperial Army (though the clone troopers, which made up the majority of the GAR, were primarily reorganized into the Stormtrooper Corps) and the Republic Navy became the Imperial Navy. The four decrepit intelligence agencies of the Republic were merged intoImperial Intelligence, with former SBI director Armand Isard at its head. The Palace of the Republic was rebuilt and expanded, becoming the Imperial Palace, eclipsing all other buildings on Imperial Center. The former Commission for the Protection of the Republic (COMPOR) was renamed the Commission for the Preservation of the New Order (COMPNOR). Within days, there were few names left to remind the people that there had ever been a Galactic Republic.
    During the first few years of the Empire, the galaxy saw the single largest military buildup in history. A council of Moffs was established to more efficiently govern individual sectors and regionsof the Empire.

I just placed some info about the uniforms in the spoiler tag below, unsure if you are familiar with it.
    They each had different uniforms, depending on the rank. The men who wear olive or pastel blue are most likely Naval personnel (Piett, Ozzel, Motti) , however Government ranked officers would also wear a similar uniform (e.g. Grand Moff Tarkin). Only differentiated by the rank plaque and the code cylinders. This is also the case with Tagge. He is a general in the Army, this is also noted by his rank plaque.
    The men who are seen wearing the black outfits are either Elite forces in any one of the above sections, or Stormtrooper Corps members, and would be (technically) part of the Army, but working in the Navy on the Death Stars. More information on all of this here:http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rank_insignia_of_the_Galactic_Empire

Also ignore the random spoiler tags, I have no idea what's going on. The info is in the first and last tags.

6. FirstStarWars

FirstStarWars Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm not talking about the people in the Death Star meeting room but those like them. The don't seem to be around after ANH

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Well, there's probably a few we just don't see, but to a certain extent the same sort of conferences populated by Imperial officers arguing matters of strategy and policy wouldn't have happened because the civil war had officially escalated to a full-blown state of emergency. Vader was effectively promoted to commander-in-chief of the Imperial forces in order to wipe out the Rebellion, and he wasn't the sort to bother with listening to anyone else's opinions. His admirals & generals were there to follow his orders, not argue the best course of action.

So in a way, yes, we do see such people again - Ozzel, Piett, Jerjerrod - it's just that they've become terrified lackeys who wouldn't dare question Vader, let alone sneer at his "sorcerer's ways."
    (And no, the officers on the Death Star weren't senators, they were all military types, with the exception of Tarkin)

eht13 and Admiral_Volshe like this.
  8. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Edit: This is basically what Darth Nub said. Minus the point about Vader doing everything. That would be true as well.

They are all in charge of various things. If you input any of the branches into Wookieepedia or Google, it should give you all the exact duties, and a few officers in each, their rank, what they were in charge of etc.
    Moffs, for example, are most likely working behind the scenes on planets controlling the planetary governments, or assisting in the Capital. (All moffs were chosen by the Imperial High Command (Vader and Palpatine for the most part), not the Senate)
    I think the movies just focused less on the corrupt government and more on how our heroes were attempting to stop its at the source (Vader and Palpatine, who had absolute control over everything) That may be why we saw less of them.

9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    We did glimpse this slimy bunch in ROTJ:

[​IMG]

However, they're not Senators or real politicians, just sycophantic advisors to Palps.

In ROTJ, they're basically just there as members of Palpatine's royal court - the closest thing that the Empire had to a 'government'. Democratic government, even a corrupt one, was effectively abolished in SW/ANH. What was left was a ruler wielding absolute power and the various individuals he used to impose it upon the galaxy.

10. Andrelious

Andrelious Jedi Knight

Sep 26, 2012
    I don't know why, but I think of the video for David Bowie's 'Ashes to Ashes' whenever I see this picture.

11. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    [face_laugh]

True. I was thinking the same thing.

[​IMG]

12. CQuigley

CQuigley Guest

They look like a nemoidians with human faces.

Random Comments likes this.
  13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The guy in white is from Imperial Intelligence, actually-he's missing the gold tabbard thingies GAs have.

14. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I wonder what they had in mind for those "imperial dignitaries". Their presence and costumes would make me think there might have been some sort of Sith connection suggested (hanging out directly with the Emperor, wearing evil-wizardy costumes. Fun to speculate on.

15. Andrelious

Andrelious Jedi Knight

Sep 26, 2012
    Is there not a shot in the video where they all lean forward to stare into the camera? That's the one I was thinking of.

16. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    Yeah, there is and it looks just like the BTS shot from Jedi.