main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Reader's Companion by Pablo Hidalgo.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , May 17, 2010.

1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Satlele doesn't seem like a chubby chaser to me

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    If you make a fat Jedi Knight, she seems at least somewhat fond of you [face_clown]Probably only in a master-student sort of way, but with the added feedbag...

3. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Were there any Allana pictures?

4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    yes, with wrong haircolor (black) as when she is undercover, none with natural red

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    A few people have indicated their disappointment that the book contains a lot of summaries that could already be found on Wookieepedia. Now that most of the images have found their way onto the Wook, too, I have a question for everyone who owns this: Does it offer anything that can't be found on the Wook? Is there enough interesting BTS info to justify a purchase? Although that BTS info could easily find its way onto the Wook, too, and the impression I got from the Amazon preview is that the ERC's layout isn't terribly unique or exciting --- reference works like Warfare and the Atlas have tons of aspects that can't be reproduced on Wookieepedia, but I'm getting the impression that this isn't the case with the Reader's Companion. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

6. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Just skimmed it, and am rather angry about a couple things:

1) Not paying attention to the novels you're, you know, illustrating? Luke and Mara in the deluge during Vision of the Future doesn't really work with the scene in the novel - and isn't a very dramatic or emotional picture as it is (though I could be just biased against Scalf). Spiceloaf in Betrayal should not look like a freaking suckling pig with an apple in its mouth. Tahl is black in a portrait but white when she dies...er, what?

That said, Darren Tan and Chris Trevas's stuff are generally excellent - just wish they weren't dominated by the others.

2) The X-Wing books. I thought we'd gotten over the idea that they're "lesser" novels at this point - but they seem to have less information provided about their behind-the-scenes, and Starfighters of Adumar gets no mention of being a huge fan favorite.

3) More X-Wing stuff: In the summary for Wraith Squadron, Gara Petothel is said to be Trigit's mistress and a secret agent of Zsinj...which is so far wrong I don't even know where to start. The mistress story is a cover made up by Gara, her loyalty to Zsinj is open, and her betrayal of Trigit based on morality, not Zsinj loyalty.

Arg arg arg!

7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

you are SO mistaken... the comments are worth it for sure with lots of intel and interesting tidbits. also the info about continuity/canon etc. of each story are a must read. even if some are weird, most are cool!

summaries is not why I bought it, art is in part only. the commentaries is what I went for and was pleased with! that and many other functions this book serves that wook does not for me.

8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Some of the art is very annoying, as others have mentioned before.

Jeff_Ferguson, it gives a brief summary of novels and companion pieces, but it's great if you want to know and understand continuity. Wookieepedia doesn't always do a great job with that, and other chronological lists (like even then one here at TF.N) are lacking.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If they weren't trying to use it to justify TCW, with a declaration to the effect of trying to make Star Wars like Star Trek as far as continuity is concerned, I might actually get it.

Esg likes this.
  10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I still haven't received my copy, yet. Instead, I got my gas bill. And with it, a notice that the rates are gonna increase by 23.45%. [face_plain]

11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    That's a hell of a jump in prices.

12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    So already these things should have been included but were left out:

Episode I Adventures 1-15
    Star Wars Adventures 1-6
    Star Wars Missions 1-20
    Science Adventures 1-2
    Imperial Troop Transporter
    Chief Chirpa Kidnapped
    Return of the Great One
    The Ice Princess

Does anyone know if any of these fit the criteria for inclusion? I've seen them listed as short stories on various timelines but I'm pretty sure some of them are just vignettes or articles or in-universe documents or something.

Jedi Protector
    The Tale of the Aiwha Pod
    The Lost City of Tatooine
    Cantina Communications
    Death in the Slave Pits of Lorrd
    The Secret Journal of Doctor Demagol
    Wanderer of Worlds
    The Battle of Cadinth
    Old Corellian: A Guide for the Curious Scholar
    Lumrunners
    Crimson Jailbreak
    A World to Conquer
    Recon and Report: The Journey to Coruscant
    The Kaal Connection
    Bounties to Die For
    Faces of the Enemy
    Castaways of Endor
    Alien Encounters: The Shard
    Special Ops: Drop Points
    Special Ops: Ship Jackers
    Special Ops: The Art of Infiltration
    Various planet write-ups from The Illustrated Star Wars Universe

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    According to the notice, if I were to purchase 73 therms of gas per month, which would be $67.17, the rate increase would be 23.45%. Looks like I won't be heating the apartment this winter.

14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Just leave your computer on all the time, it'll heat everything on its own. I could have cooked bacon on my old gaming laptop's hard drive.

:p

TrakNar likes this.
  15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Warm yourself the old fashioned way: slaughter a Tauntaun and crawl inside its carcass. Beats central heating every time, and you really can't beat the price.

Just watch out for PETA. Here they've been stamping down on Tauntaun rights.

Esg and TrakNar like this.
  16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    How many times are you gonna edit that post? :p

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I edited it twice. Both times I misspelled Tauntaun :p

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    According to my alerts, I got seven notices. :p

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Voodoo.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    what does the book have to do with the clone wars? Nothing for nothing but the clone wars needs about two books to cover everything from video games, to comic books, to both animated series, novels, short stories and the like. this book is about all the novels that were done. my only compliant with the book is that I wish that the added the cancelled stuff.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It must be! I got two alerts from just your quoting!

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note for UK people who might have ordered from Amazon UK - I had an email from them waiting for me this morning saying that the order is delayed due to a problem with the book supplier. Looks like we get to wait even longer.. :(

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I got that email this morning too. :(

I hope this isn't another Lost Tribe situation with a dodgy false listing and us forced to reorder a more expensive copy...

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I had no problem with Lost Tribe, at least none that I remember.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Always the option you took with the EGW... Order from Amazon US and have it shipped through them. If I recall, it took about a week for the book to arrive.