main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: The Old Republic (Bioware MMO) [Spoilers Allowed]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SephyCloneNo15, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Awe. vehicles are confirmed.

I must also express my like of several animal designs in the video, and seeing a trooper doing a silly dance in full armor.

Shan's new look ain't bad, but I miss the one from the concept art.

Edit: Image of the week gives an interesting tidbit: the Sith have no police, instead the military handles all the normal police duties.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'd play it safe and go for both.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, not bad update considering E3 is next week, I was expecting another fan Friday. Hm, wonder if the Belsavis stuff is related to the prison mentioned before (ancient prisoners escaping) or if its something else. In a game like this you can never have too many ancient horrors getting loose for the players to take on. Nice to see a few more pages from the comic book. I'm still not going to buy it since I'm not that interested (and probably won't be interested in more Star Wars comics until the next Knight Errant or DT arc starts). I think that's the same shot from the Deceived novel trailer. Hm, the first cinematic showed the Sacking of Coruscant and the Sith Empire basically winning, the second showed the Republic fighting back at Alderaan (yes, I know it was earlier in the war, but still), wonder which direction the third cinematic (assuming there's one) will take.

Nice trailer. Was that a giant Hutt statue? Don't think there was anything that new, aside from vehicles, but its kind of hard to get that excited when there is still no release date.

So, think we'll finally get a release date next week? Maybe during EA's conference (gotta remember to record that on TV), or just during E3 in general? Otherwise, when is the next opportunity after this? Well, there's always Comic-con, but this is basically the video game event of the year.

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What the?

Time warp

5. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Nope.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ultimicia, pfft... I blame Caius.

7. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Looks cool. Glad to see biowears' humor. "It was a long shuttle ride" ha.

Grrrr, I wish this was on console and a single player game then I'd buy it in a heart beat, but now pc is not much of an issue, but the MM in MMORPG puts me off, I do not want to have to work with most of the people who post on the site.

Grrr decisions

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    TIME PARADOX

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I loved that shot of that Republic ship in the atmosphere of the planet whilst the Sith and Jedi duke it out. Anyway, interesting... though would enjoy another cinematic. I mean, the first trailer was a Sith victory, the second was a Republic one... so if there was a third one, would it revert back to showing another Sith scene? Or Republic? Or go neutral?

And interesting note on the vehicles... not likely to happen but god, I hope trooper get to ride that walker :D

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Maybe Satele traveled through time and killed Bastila...

11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Interesting to see vehicles.

I'm torn on exactly how I'd like them to be incorporated. On one hand, being able to just press an item in your inventory and spawn a speeder out of thin air would be fairly lame; on the other hand, needing to go to the local chocobo stable to pick one up was annoying in FFXI.

Decisions, decisions...

I guess it depends exactly how the maps are laid out. Provided there were vehicle racks in the right places, not "carrying a swoop in your backpack" is probably what I'd lean toward... though, then again, if there was a really neat animation of your backpack unfolding like a Transformer into a swoop, then that would actually be nifty. :p

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [face_laugh] You're right -- None of our posts are even in sync!

Edit: Oh weird -- DLM's just appeared above mine, but I didn't see it until after I posted....

13. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6316986/e3-2011-star-wars-the-old-republic-exclusive-details-on-raiding-tatooine-mounts-and-more/?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B6

Pre-e3 interview on gamespot. Talking about raids and story. But one line made me laugh out loud. Daniel Erickson was talking about having a fully voiced MMO and said that people who talked about it

quote "Even if they are like making fun of it.... guess what your still paying attention, we won." And I love it, Suck on that fact all you story haters.

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Perversely, I'm kinda enjoying reading the posts in between from before TOR's release...

We were so enthused with creative ideas back then. :p

15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_laugh] =D=

But... but... they want more info on the EPIX!!! not story!!! :_|

16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I see the TOR thread has been flow-walking again.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Story is EPIX!!! FOOL, I pity the Fool who story isn't EPIX!!!.

18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

Ulicus likes this.
  19. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    So Satele not only looks exactly like Bastila down to the braids, but she also sounds exactly the same too? I guess Bioware didn't think we'd be able to make the connection based solely on the name.

And look! A Rutian Twilek who sounds exactly like Kat Taber doing the Mission voice! What a coincidence!

For how stylish this game looks, I'm still annoyed at the choppy animations. The Sith Lords had smooth animations. KOTOR 1 had smooth animations. These look like they were ripped out of The Force Unleashed and then made even worse.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The TOR Encyclopedia thread made me think of this one again.

Let's see if my post is still going to be thrown back in time to the middle of last year... :p

Edit: Ah, yes... June 4, 2011... I remember you well.

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I miss the concept look for Satele too. Well, not the ToP concept, but the 3D graphic on her profile page.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the grey-haired look will be used later in the game and/or in an expansion or something. I seem to recall them saying that the game will cover several years (though quite what they mean by that, who knows, as it might just be referring to a hop between your origin quest and the main game), so it's possible that she'll have her middle-aged look and a slightly older look.

Probably not, I know, I know, but... one can always hope. [face_praying]

Still, I'm not that bothered by her look in the trailer. It's a vast improvement on the previous trailer where her hair was a pretty bland bob. This at least actually looks like the cinematic and the new comic cover, so it's good to see some consistency finally. :)

I'm not sure what to say about any choppiness, really... I've been pretty happy with it personally. In comparison with other MMOs, I'm happy that they're doing cutscenes at all, as usually lag time makes everything a bit delayed - back when I played WoW, on a bad day I could press F4 for a Frostbolt and not see the animation for 10 seconds, even though the target's HP would have already gone down. So any lag in the trailer might just be due to the recording being badly synced and/or some server lag on the intranet where they were hosting the preview or something.

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Ah ha! Found you.

I wonder where this will end up.

THIS IS THE MOST RECENT POST, GUYS! UNTIL IT ISN'T. THE BOLD WORDS SHOULD HELP YOU LOCATE IT.

Zorrixor likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    REVAN

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/nl/images/8/8b/RevanFaces.jpg]

SATELE

[image=http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Ulicus/SheDoesntWantToGo.jpg]

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Travelling back in time...

I have now played the Sith Inquisitor plot line as far as I can (I'm on free trial). My female Red Sith is ready to take off Dromund Kaas when the free-to-play begins. At first I started with male Chiss Agent, but his voice was irritating.

But if I were to begin another class to see new planets, what would you recommend? And what species have best voice actors? I'm staying out of Chiss males.

AND THIS IS NOW THE NEWEST POST...
    NOT ANYMORE! CARRY ON, NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Satele is a cross-dressing David Tennant?

26. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Whoa. Flow-walking thread. So, so, so confused.

Zorrixor likes this.
  27. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    ancient secret... Belsavis... Eternity Vault... in 3rd animated trailer upcoming at E3... TFN mainpage... o_O

28. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant.

29. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I... don't think that's what it means.

The news on the main TFN page is just what was on the TOR site on Friday without the pictures, so I don't think the Eternity Vault is meant to be read in the same context as the sentence about the trailer. It just seems that way when you haven't got the pictures breaking up the paragraphs.

If anything, the TOR site implies the picture of Malgus with crossed lightsabers is the trailer.

From the looks of it, they basically seem to be going back in time with each one. Deceived was the end of the Great war. Hope was in the middle of the Great War. And Malgus still has his jaw in the new shot, suggesting it's even earlier (which if it is the same as the brief clip in the Deceived novel trailer means it's when the Sith reclaimed Korriban - so might be from the start of the Great War this time).

30. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If we keep quoting each other, we'll be able to keep track of the conversation.

31. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah I don't see the Eternity Vault being the focus of the new cinematic trailer, it seems to be an epic thing/event that comes into play during the game itself, whereas the trailers are all about setting the scene.

I'm inclined to doubt it'll happen but that pre-E3 trailer kindled a spark of hope that we will get a release date in a surprise reveal. Everything about the game just seems to be coming together now, and with everything else considered they must have an idea of when it will be out.

Probably not though.

Talking of AC descriptions in Fridays update, anyone else notice certain ACs incoporate different lightsaber styles now? Seems they weren't entirely cut after TSL then.

As for vehicles: I expect they will stick with having them as inventory items or activated skills. While it may look more realistic to have to pop by a berth to get your speeder, it is one of those things that should be sacrificed for gameplay reasons every time. At least in a game like this. It would still be possible to roleplay as having to go to a certain place to use a vehicle anyway.

Still wish Satele looked older in the game itself, bit too similar to Bastilla now if you ask me.

Lastly, love the shot of the Jedi going up against the Sith and her beasties, the placement of the camera adds to that scene in a big way.

Edit: Watching it again something just clicked for me. Social areas! Cantinas are confirmed! Considering for almost half of my SWG experience I played an Entertainer this is very exciting news. :p I hope we can play instruments again.

32. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I miss the old Satele concept art too. There's a shot of Satele in the trailer, but... she looks pretty young in it, so not sure if that's meant to be Grandmaster Satele or its from a cutscene of a younger Satele. Or they might just be going for the straight Bastilla clone look in all time periods, who knows. Maybe the version from her bio page will show up, maybe not, although I'm leaning towards not.

The Gamespot interview mentions the cinematics are a trilogy, wonder if they were always planning on having three E3 cinematics before the game launched. I agree with Zorrixor that the upcoming cinematic will probably be further back in time, but considering how badly the Republic is doing up until... Bothawui (I think?), I'm mostly expecting it'll just be more Malgus taking out Jedi. Although some fleet scenes would be nice too since I expect they'll have more ship designs finalized by now. Some of the space combat shots seem to have some more original-looking Sith ships so would be nice to see them in a cinematic (or even better, that big Republic cruiser).

33. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
  34. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
  35. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  36. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    I have screamed like a little girl when I've seen the pureblood Sith. Way to go Bioware!!

Didn't like how cool the smuggler acts, though...

37. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I want that hat.

Hell for the yeah, to that trailer.

38. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Can't think....E3....3rd trailer...Masseffect 3.....nerdgasam....

39. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Incredibly badass trailer. So it appears wielding a lightsaber and a double lightsaber at the same time is kinda feasible. :p

40. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I need to recover after watching that first one...

The second... I started... my heart exploded...

EDIT: Having recovered, I have now finished watching the second one. :p

Ignoring the obvious (i.e. OMG!!!!), the best part for me? The Republic actually had GUARDED Korriban! :eek:

HOW many times have we all talked about the ignorance of the Jedi just leaving Korriban for the Sith to take? But they've ACTUALLY DONE SOMETHING FOR ONCE! I... I... just wow. KOTOR and KOTOR2 wasn't a waste after all. Even with everyone thinking the Sith destroyed, the Republic had actually learnt something! :D

Okay, they still lost it again, but I'm seriously pleased to see the Jedi after the Exile had built a station to prevent anyone going there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.