main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Who is this 'John' everyone speaks of?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, he's currently being guarded by Brienne. That part I don't necessarily have a problem with. But she sent Brienne to give him back to the Lannisters, and did it for selfish reasons. She could have just told them to go hide in the woods for a few days until things cooled off, and then had them trail the main camp at a distance.

3. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    That would be rather dangerous since I'm pretty sure they would check the woods near them. And then the Kingslayer is dead and she doesn't get her daughters back. As a mother she did the only thing she could think of to protect her children.

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Why is Cleos dead again? I never understood why Jaime killed him.

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  5. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    He needed a body to distract a guard. Why Jamie decided Cleos/Alton couldn't just 'fake' being dead and then escape with Cleos/Alton being a diversion I don't know. Jaimie apparently saw the 'renegade' quicktime event and just hit it without knowing what it would do.

6. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Maybe Jaime thought him a traitor and was put in there to spy on him.

7. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I really dislike some of the minor changes that were made for no reason in the second season. Loras suddenly surmising that Stannis killed Renly from afar, Maergery declaring her ambitions do openly, Cleos, and no Riverrun.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    My point is not that location in particular, but that there are plenty of ways she could have removed him from danger while keeping him captive. Instead, as you just admitted, she made a selfish choice. That's well worthy of criticism, and stands in stark contrast to the way better characters like the Tyrells carry themselves.

9. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm not saying it's not worthy of criticism. But you can not tell me that the Tyrells are not acting in selfish interest. Her move at the end of last season just says we are power hungry and are making a play at the crown anyway we can. But I will wait to pass true judgement till the Tyrells are shown more. All I know of them is from book 2 and last season.

Any mother in Cat's poistion would have made the same choice. If the Stark's had the Lannister children you had better believe that Cersei would do everything in her power to get them back, if that ment defying the King then she would do it.

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I don't like Cat's treatment of Jon, but her coolness towards him is also understandable. How would you like your new husband (or wife) to leave you with a fetus (or newborn) and come back with a new child of their own? It's a constant reminder ofNed's 'betrayal.'

and she was a mother who cared more for her children than letting the enemy free. I'm sure she was also banking on Jamie showing some forgiveness in the future.

11. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    She was banking on Tyrion's promise to honour the exchange, I believe.

12. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I suppose it comes as no surprise that I'm part of the minority not enthralled with this show. Made it through the episode that ends with the girl's first fencing lesson (3 or 4). I understand that there are a lot of nice lines and quips, but I don't find it worth enduring the soap-opera of scum-bag characters to get the gems, whatever they might be.

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Keep on watching. The series really picks up with episode 5.

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Sounds like Deep Space 9 all over again.

The short version: everyone kept telling me DS9 was as good as Babylon5 once you got past the bad episodes. After quitting at the end of season 2, everyone told me that it got better during season 3. So I went through season 3, and found exactly 1 good episode, 4 that I skipped outright after the opening credits rolled, and 2 so bad I wish I had turned them off. So, next thing I hear is that it gets good during season 4. Sorry, not falling for that trick again.

15. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    You're seriously not enjoying it? The season is action packed after the necessary contextualising the first few episodes did. Continue, it'll truly be worth it - especially considering season 2 is available to continue watching.

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    There are no truly "bad" episodes of GoT. It's just that the first few episodes have to devote a lot of time to setting up the story, and once that story gets going, you'll see just how good the series really is.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't know. most people i know who like the show were hooked right from the beginning. could be it's just not your cup of tea, koohii. oh well.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Koohii doesn't like something? :eek:

19. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, the opening beyond the Wall and that first episode had me had me hooked. Watched both series and then read the books. I've never looked back. It might just not be for you, Koohii. (I really don't know what is if you don't like this!)

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I understand GRR Martin did a lot of research into the behavior of nobles during the British Civil war for inspiration. That said, if you like soap operas, as far as I can tell, that is all this show is: A soap opera set in a fantasy/alternate world, in which everyone is an immoral, unscrupulous, evil scum, or a ridiculously innocent victim waiting to be offed or screwed over. There is no sense of anything really redeeming in anyone, and no one that is presented as a likable character. There is no protagonist. There isn't even an anti-hero. Just a bunch of scheming scumbags. All flash, no substance.
    Lots of fantasy monsters are mentioned, but we don't really get to see any of them.
    Even the sex scenes are pretty boring.
    I have no idea what all the fuss was about, or why people are praising this thing so highly--lack of competition maybe?

The scenery and costumes are pretty.

Considering that I could only stomach "Lost" and "Breaking Bad" for 10 and 25 minutes (respectively), I consider that I managed 4 episodes of this pretty good. The lesson I learned from helping with an amateur film festival was 10-15 minutes for anything (even a Roman "Child Rapist" Polanski movie).
    Maybe the show gets better. I'm just not seeing any reason to believe it does.
    Or maybe I'm just too old and out of touch with modern audience expectations.

21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Keep watching the entire first season at the very least. There is no reason to quit right in the middle.

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I can think of several
    1: I'm at the beginning of the show
    2: I don't care what happens to any of the characters after 4 hours. Why suffer through another 8?
    3: After 4 hours of indoctrination, I am not interested or invested in the world that has been presented.

There is no hero to root for. The closest thing is the 11yo tomboy, and she has about 5 minutes of screen time per episode. Her situation screams "Victim".
    There isn't really an anti-hero. Closest thing is the dwarf noble. Again, only about 5 minutes per episode revolve around him. While it seems remotely possible that he might do well, and end up high up in the new order, he has no interest in that, and is more of a jimminy cricket to the illegitimate Stock child--at best a side-kick.

I was pleasantly surprised that Once Upon A Time turned out to be decent, but this show...

So thanks, but no thanks.
    Enjoy the show.

23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    You can keep Once Upon A Time, thanks. We'll just stick with GoT.

24. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Why does there have to be a hero? GRRM delights in going against many of Joseph Campbell's notions about what makes a good story, and ASOIAF benefits greatly from that. Watching this show isn't "suffering," so there's no harm in you finishing the first season.

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Koohii, did you just refer to the Starks as Stocks?

WE MUST BURN HIM WITH FIRE