main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit THE TOR ENCYCLOPEDIA: Spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 4, 2012.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    no information on that yet. but as I know the Dacdwellers, they are either the Empires primary seafood source or trying not to be that ;) though I could imagine them selling out Quarren as seafood to the Empire... to appease them and not be targeted. Would nicely justify later on hatred between Quarren and Mon Calamari :p

but as we know many Mon Cal are serving in Republic Military, I bet they are a fortress world.

2. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I think in TOR, the Children of the Emperor (Jedi Consular) and the Star Cabal (Imperial Agent) aren't defeated. You deal critical blows to them but they are still out there and your character still aims to hunt them down.

3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Star Cabal is defeated, you get there 'codex' and kill all their leadership, don't see them coming back from that anytime soon.

4. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    ok new spoilers:

-Darth Malgus is the Thrawn of the TOR Era, having spent years in Unknown Regions with alien cultures and languages, thinking human&Sith only doctrine is wrong and selfdefeating etc.
    -As in TOR, this book also shows the Sith return to Korriban via a hyperlane from Belkadan over Sernpidal and Ruuria... they came from the Unknown Regions... not Sith Space where Dromund Kaas is located. weird... or should it be relocated to the UR In an Atlas update to make more sense? or did they expand from Dromund Kaas in Sith space around the edge of the galaxy into the Unknown Regions?
    -also Jedi Knight indeed just slays one of the Emperors avatars... but as far as Malgus entry goes, the Emperor is gone for good when he declares himself Emperor bringing changes to alien policies with him.
    -Malgus final end was not detailed in his bio... remind me, whas it resolved in the game? heard he was killed too. so how did it end then with who getting the throne next?
    -oooh quotes of Marka Ragnos journal are in this book
    -Kaggath yeeha
    -nice history of the Kressh Legacy and bloodline with all known Kressh and their fates
    -each of the 12 Dark Councilors controls one sphere of influence in the Empire... those are: Defense of the Empire, Military Offense, Military Strategy, ImpIntelligence, Ancient Knowledge, Production&Logistics, Expansion&Diplomacy, Laws&Justice, Biotic Science, Technology, Sith Philosophy, Keeper of Mysteries (and yes they name which Councilor gets which sphere!)

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I always thought the whole Revan in TOR thing was kind of ridiculous, and the fact that his fate is seemingly being left open only makes me think that moreso. BioWare took their flagship KOTOR character, invented some convoluted way to bring him forward to their new game in a way that's completely dismissive of its sequel, only to have him feature and be killed in a mid-level side-mission sortie (and, not to mention, be assigned the most ridiculous appearance choice and given an uninspired voice actor). Then they decide to back on even that and keep his fate nebulous, just because.

I mean, I guess on the one hand they can't make the Revan character any more sillified than they already have. But on the other hand it's just frustrating how it seems no character is allowed to have a specific end any more, just because the powers that be want to keep anachronistically projecting them into the future rather than creating new stories based around their existing timelines.

Darth_Zandalor, Ulicus and Havac like this.
  6. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Who gets what?

I know Thanaton is Ancient Knowledge and I assume Jadus is Intelligence.

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    According to the wook (this apparently comes from the Revan novel, I don't remember, as I only read it once), Revan was 38 at the time of KOTOR, and while Bastila's age isn't known, I thought she was in her early twenties (I believe most Jedi don't even become Knights until their late twenties early thirties). If it means anything, the Force supposedly does tend to mask aging very well (look at Qui-Gon). Obi-Wan would be the obvious exception, with Dooku looking about his age.

So that would mean that, physically, Revan was about 42 when he died. Though he's really hundreds of years old [face_dunno]

8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't know if I'd say that they completely dismissed KOTOR II, as the Exile does play prominently in the Republic side of the Revan story. I also can't agree that he was given an uninspired voice actor; Jeff Bennett is very good (and that's not even my amusement of giving him Kyle Katarn's voice actor speaking; his work in Bioshock is fantastic, easily the best among a very talented cast), though unfortunately he wasn't given a large amount of lines to really play Revan. I think he captures that hero-attempting-and-failing to hold on to insanity feel, though.

Agreed on everything else, however. I would have preferred him left out of the game.

EDIT: Damn, forgot to merge the two posts.

9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    will post that later, we also get the apprentices for each listed, well for most of them.

10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

38 in KOTOR? hmm works but still a bit young for him having been a Master already about a decade ago.. hmm

though some texts sound as if Alek and Revan both were Knights, not him a Master. that is weird cause he was supposed to be a Master

11. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Nah. Revan wasn't Alek's Jedi Master, in fact Revan wasn't even a Jedi Master when he became a Sith. Malak and the other Jedi calling Revan "master" was simply a sign of respect, allegiance, and subservience to their leader.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I think Revan was only officially a Jedi Knight. He might have been a Master, but he was considered a prodigy, so that might not be too surprising.

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, Revan was a "master" only as much as C'baoth was, with it an unofficial thing.
    Projecting characters into the future, you say?

This just in: Revan is Anakin Skywalker's father! You heard it here first.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, but while he wasn't sanctioned as a Master by the Council, I expect he was playing the part to his followers, regardless.

instantdeath

Given Revan was constantly referred to as "kid" and "young one" throughout KotOR, I think thirty-eight is too old. Something closer to twenty-eight would make more sense. This puts Revan at around Anakin's TCW age during the Mandalorian Wars, and Luke's DE age in KotOR, which feels appropriate. He was a rising star in the Jedi Order, and the comics establish that padawans being knighted in their late teens isn't especially uncommon. At least not uncommon enough for that to be what twigs Zayne's class to the weirdness of their situation. Instead it's that Zayne's about to be knighted, specifically, that alerts them.

Revan's "programmed identity" may think he's even younger, of course. He certainly seems to have had a new age implanted, given Bastila's line of questioning during the mid-game.

But he's supposed to be time-travelling Anakin Solo, catapulted back through time at the moment of his "death". Everyone knows that.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ulicus

Aren't all Jedi padawans referred to as "young one"? I always took that phrase as an indication of experience, rather than age. Quite like some of the more arrogant Jedi, at least. Canderous does indeed routinely refer to Revan as a kid, though I suppose Han does it to Luke as well. It's also possible that Revan simply looks much younger than he is (he's obviously keep in very good shape, plus the Force does sometimes seem to slow the outer effects of aging).

Either way, I think I'd prefer Revan being a bit younger in KOTOR, as well. I like the idea of a very young Revan leading the Mandalorian Wars. I suppose the KOTOR comics would suggest that Jedi are often Knighted in their teens, even though in the prequel era, it seems that a padawan in their late twenties is not at all uncommon. To be honest, I can't at all remember Revan ever alluding to his age. It's one of those things I'd prefer leaving mysterious, anyway (remember when Revan was mysterious? [face_plain]) .

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    First I've heard of it, though I think it's a nice idea. Either way, Revan's called "kid" and "young" even outside the Jedi context. (Canderous, as you note, Marl and the like)

Indeed. I certainly don't think Knighting Padawans in their late teens is especially common in the prequel era; just pointing out that it seems to have been the case in the KotOR timeframe. Which makes a certain amount of sense when you recall that they were still rebuilding the Order in the wake of the Great Sith War.

17. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    Weren't Revan and Malak supposed to be around the same age? I thought that they were peers. I ask because JJM once answered the question about Malak's age. He said that he was older then Zayne (19 years old in comics - would be 26 in video game) and close to Jarael's age (25 years in comics - would be 32 in KoTOR game).[face_thinking]

CeiranHarmony
    Any backstory or new informations about Darth Marr?

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    lots stuff about the Sith and Marr got a full entry too with details. not sure what is new or what from game since I did not play all classes back when I played it.

also Mandalorian chapter was pure gold, lots of new intel in there for sure that I have not seen or heard in game.

on to Hutts now, then species and planets.

as for Revan's age: the JJM age info for Alek, I want quotes please. that would be awesome to have! then we need to consider too whose Padawan Revan once had been and peers with who else to calculate his final age. Revan novel got Atris at Bastilas age sadly, but Atris was a Council Master and closer to Kreia's age in comics and KOTOR2 game.

as for when Padawans are knighted, yeah that varies, and teens sounds the most common one in the EU. though if Obi Wan should be an example or not I can't say. we know that during New Sith Wars and PT we have lots of young Knights, but that was more out of necessity and war than else. except for few EU Jedi knighted in early to late teens even around 16 years of age. most regular non-war/emergency knightings happened at early to late twenties. but that depends on the Master, Apprentice, general situation. not sure if there should even be a general limit to when one gets knighted.

19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    my complaint so far for the TOR encyclopedia which is awesome: I still miss all those "boring" npcs ingame and their miniquests that are not essential for the class and all but fun. those are not in if not tied to prominent people of the story. some get featured though in fun remarks, quotes or else.

also mainly I complain about the Companions. they are interesting and featured all, but their bios end at the point the Player takes them on as companion or soon thereafter with few exceptions. no final fates there or their companion story till endgame. but a lot the player discovers over the course of the game is revealed in their bio already since their past was a mystery to the player in the game at first. so in a way it is in but not totally. so far no marriage etc. news either.

also while some classes ends, with slay the emperor or such are matter of fact told, others are left ambigious as to what is canon. f.e. will the Smuggler or Bounty Hunter choose dark or light in the end, support Empire or Republic? those are left ambigious whereas Jedi and Sith decisions clearly are Jedi = light, Sith = dark being canon. though even there some ambiguity is mentioned at times.

also we get some fun comments that I think arn't form ingame. like Hylo being voted 5 times in a row to bestdressed underworld being by holonet fashion critics. she never came to claim the prize though fearing capture by her enemies.

20. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011

Here I found it. About Atris age in "Revan" it seems that it is simply an error.

Maybe it is not stated official (in game, comics or encyclopedia) but it narrows our estimates.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    One assumes Revan and Malak were around the same age, yeah, but they don't need to have birthdays within a week of each other. It'd be enough for them to both be in their early-mid twenties in the KotOR comics. I always liked to think -- though there's no canonical basis for it -- that Malak was the elder by a couple of years, and that he and Revan's original dynamic growing up was that of a guy looking out of his kid brother, which eventually shifted into a more overtly servile and reverential relationship as Revan came into his "überness".

instantdeath likes this.
  22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    your profile pic... who is this? It looks like a young Tarkin

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It's Pat Troughton (the Second Doctor).

Tarkin was a different Doctor. ;)

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Oh what would I give for a Doctor Who parody with all roles filled with SW Actors... ;)

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Closest you're gonna get:

[​IMG]

Zorrixor, Gorefiend and CeiranHarmony like this.