main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Supernatural

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Chip, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Darth Chip

Darth Chip Jedi Grand Master

Aug 7, 1999
    Anyone watching this great series? Season 8 just started last Wednesday.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I refuse to watch a show that fridges all it's female characters.

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    This is one of my guilty pleasure shows, especially from season 6 onwards (personally, I think they should have stopped at the end of season 5 - they had a strong ending there).

I really don't like that they basically get rid of all of their female characters (both the good and the bad). But I can usually ignore that for the sake of 45 minutes of entertainment.

The show's felt like it's been stuck in a rut since the beginning of season 6. Maybe that's because they've had their maximum crisis (really, how do you beat out the Apocalypse?) and each following season has to outdo the previous one in terms of high stakes and intensity (IMO, they've failed). While there have been some really great gems in the past two seasons, I feel like they've lost the charm and fun of the earlier seasons. That being said, it's still a fun show and I enjoy watching it, I just find the storytelling rather bland most of the time now and they probably need to go in a new direction. I'm disappointed in the season 8 premier, as they had the chance to do some great character development (imagine if Dean stayed in purgatory for the first eight or nine episodes and Sam was busy trying to get him out? I'm sure we're going to see plenty of purgatory in flashbacks, but I would have preferred to see it in a more active state of storytelling) but they casually skimmed over it in favour of jumping straight to a type of reunion we've seen multiple times.

There are also very clear parallel's between the premier of season 6 and the premier of season 8, just with the opposite brother. I'm not clear if it was intentional or not, but it does increase the feeling of "I've seen this before".

The show's past its expiry date and I think it's getting run into the ground now, but the team is still clearly having a blast doing it and I still find it enjoyable to watch.

4. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Doesn't it have that dude from Smallville in it?

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I never could get into it.

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I like this one. (Yes, you read correctly)
    First 3 seasons were good. Then they added the angels more and more, which got annoying. I think they intended the show to end with season 5, but like Buffy, it was too popular, so it kept going, even though season 6 didn't have a very strong plot. Just saw season 7 (thanks to netflix), and it seems to be back on track, doing what it does best, and setting itself up to continue nicely. After season 6, I debated dropping the show. After season 7, I'm looking forward to the next one.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, this definitely falls into the "guilty pleasure" category. It's been a long, long time since I was able to take it remotely seriously but ... meh, it's fun and it pokes fun at its own fandom all the time, which amuses me immensely.

The fact that the start of every other season involves one brother returning from death/hell/the Cage/purgatory while the other has tried to move on is increasingly hilarious, too.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    According to the Internet, this series is about a steamy story of incest. Is that right?

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I think they're all about steamy incest, subtextually.

11. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    She's changed bodies a few times, but Meg is still around.

"Remember the simple days, when we used to run around and hunt Wend-ego?"
    "No."

And then there's the reaction to the slash-fic of them on the internet, or their visit to "real world" supernatural sound-stage.

Show is a nice combination of horror and humor.
    This is one, though, where they keep shoe-horning in large, season-long arcs, and they don't have to. How about a season finale that is just a solid, monster-of-the-week episode? Why do they feel they have to constantly incapacitate one brother or the other in the season finale?

"You smote half the garrison, then made this big speech about how you were the new god. And then you disappeared. What was that?"
    "Well, rude for one thing."
    That crisis was pretty short-lived. Looked like it was going to be the whole season. Fortunately, someone realized that wasn't going to work, and it ended pretty quickly.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That's what the nutty part of the fanbase believes, and the show gives just enough fan service to that notice to make them happy while not risking the ire of the Network and advertisers.

13. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Unsure if this is the only supernatural thread on here but its the only one I could find. so live again and lets chat about this show again. enjoying the current season right now?

14. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm catching up. I've only seen up through 9x04.

15. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Yeah I myself am trying to play catch up luckily Netflix helps with doing that since they have like almost all the seasons. Like most my fav, character is Castiel.

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Still watching and looking forward to season 13 come Oct. Daughter recently watched all 12 seasons on Netflix over two months and to say she is obsessed... would be putting it mildly. lol

Yeah, they do like to kill off the female characters, though, really anyone in their circle seems pretty guaranteed a grisly death.
    I had thought at least Charlie would survive since she wasn't interested in the Winchester boys at all

[​IMG]

Saw this coming out in Sept and since I tend to enjoy books of this nature (whether it's a SW Guide to the Galaxy or The Buffy Monster Book) I will probably be picking it up.

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't know what it'll do to my reputation here to publicly admit that I watch this show, but I do watch this show. Usually when the new season gets added to Netflix, I'll take it for a spin. I'm definitely interested in seeing what happens in season 13, considering the events of the Season 12 finale....

18. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Pfffft, no reason not to enjoy whatever you like Sean.

Just started the entire series again due to going to the con with the daughter over last weekend. I may be a tad bit more obsessed... not sure why.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Can't wait for Season 13!

tom likes this.
  19. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    have to admit, kinda excited about lucky Season 13, though I will miss Crowley.

20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
  21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Not meaning to spam, but the Scoobynatural episode might be the best ever. Expected a silly episode and felt is started out that way, but turned into the perfect blend of Supernatural and Scooby Doo,, far better then I could have hoped for. Might have watched it a number of times so far. [face_blush]

Master_Lok likes this.
  22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I haven’t watched in years, but I may pick that episode up because zoinks!

Healer_Leona likes this.
  23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    If you're a Scooby fan, yeah. It's worth it. In fact, I'm gonna go watch it again. lol

Master_Lok likes this.
  24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    For all you closet Supernatural fans out there while we wait for season 14.

25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Hmmmm, wouldn't it be nice if some alternate John Winchester was discovered for the end of this season?