main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Violence, invasion, racism, genocide, terrorism; Happy Columbus Day everyone!

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Oct 8, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Well, one doesn't need necessarily to see it through the lens of all the later events that it led to, but just as a celebration of that discovery.

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    To be honest the only thing Columbus discovered was just how damn lost he was....

Miana Kenobi and Rew like this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What discovery? We should be celebrating Leif Ericson Day.

Rew likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Will Chris Columbus be late to the party we throw to celebrate how late to the party he was? The man is heinously overrated compared against Leif Ericson, Amerigo Vez... not to mention a slew of indigents who found their way across a land mass and settled here for generations before the boat guys finally started arriving.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbus was a horse's ass. And the only reason I know what today is, is that my mail hasn't come. I bank at a credit union and it's open today.

7. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Well, this is well known and funny, but it was a discovery(-ish) nonetheless, even though it was accidental. Hardly to his credit, though, being that it was coincidental, I'll give you that.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    History.com

"Contrary to popular belief, most educated Europeans in Columbus' day understood that the world was round, but they did not yet know that the Pacific Ocean existed. As a result, Columbus and his contemporaries assumed that only the Atlantic lay between Europe and the riches of the East Indies."

I found that remakable and had to know who is credited in that era with "discovering" the Pacific. It was THIS GUY

Damn he had a bad death: Pedrarias observed the execution, hidden behind a platform. The executioner beheaded Balboa and his four friends with an axe. Balboa's head did not come off clean on the first try; it took three.

That sucks!

9. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    So, even though Columbus didn't "discover America" - it was discovered by the first humans to cross it, Columbus' voyage was a discovery for Europe and he initiated a new era of trade, interaction, and conquest. I think that's memorable.

It is unfortunate, though, that it led to the deaths of 98% of the 120 million or so people living there at the time. And realize that the majority of those deaths were accidental.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Bah, he is still a fraud...

11. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Well the worst part about him is that he selectively cited ancient mathematicians who did bad math in order to prove that the earth was smaller than it actually was and one could sail from Spain to the Indies that way. He was wrong, and very lucky that there was another landmass.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Memorable" is not exactly the word I would use. It's certainly nothing we need to honor him for.

I also don't believe he "accidentally" killed so many of the natives, but I'd love to see your source on that one .

Frank T. and eht13 like this.
  13. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Seriously, sometimes I think people do not read my posts. I said, "It is unfortunate, though, that it led to the deaths of 98% of the 120 million or so people living there at the time. And realize that the majority of those deaths were accidental." "It" being Columbus' voyage and the initiation of a new era. I didn't say that Columbus didn't kill natives. I said that the new era led to a dramatic loss of life for Native Americans, the vast majority of which was due to disease.

The number of Native Americans I stated is the high estimate that I was taught in my history classes.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NP...ge&q=pre-Columbian population million&f=false

Here's one credible source stating 100 million as a high end estimate.

As to most of it being disease? You'll have a hard time convincing me that European settlers killed on the order of 100 million people over two centuries. Epidemics were widespread and entire tribes and cities were wiped out because of them. European diseases destroyed the Native American population. It wasn't European's fault, anymore than the bubonic plague was anyone's fault. It's an unfortunate happenstance of history.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The filthy Europeans taught the tribes circumcision... a practice that led to the widespread death of a vast majority.

RC-1991 likes this.
  15. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Thank you for attempting to derail this thread with my schtick (lol).

The Europeans who colonized the Americas did not circumcise or practice any form of genital mutilation, and neither did the natives they colonized.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    What about scalping? Your plight is technically scalping, amirite?

17. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Wrong head.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Didn't disease kill 80% of the natives?

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Europeans did not know how diseases were transmitted, much less how immunity really worked, and yes, the accidental exposure of the Native Americans to "Old World" diseases was responsible for as much as over 90% of the depopulation. In many cases the diseases reached communities before explorers and conquerors did.

That said, us white folks didn't exactly try to make up for the terrible accident.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You should not be allowed to use the word genocide unless you know what it means. I get that it gives you a cheap thrill to lather it up in hyperbole and bandy it about with unbridled joy; I just think that the net cost, i.e. cheapening it, isn't worth it.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Just wait until you read our annual Thanksgiving thread...

22. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Speaking of geonocide..I was organizing a protest in my town. Next year they were going to rename a part of Florida Ponce DeLeon Island in observance of some craptastic anniversary of his landing and the King of Spain was coming and whatnot, but someone realized it was a stupid idea and cancelled it. My work here is done.

23. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I feel like the only people who care about Columbus day at all are the sassy people who freak out about how much of a jerk he was.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Is that why I didn't have any mail today? :oops:

[​IMG]