main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It's the Avenger behind it.

2. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    In that case, yeah, I can't see anything that makes it look like a case of misnaming a ship class. That is a finless VSD alright.

3. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Speaking of Star Destroyers, the one from Last of the Jedi is a new design.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, has elements of an ISD, VSD, and those TOR-era Star Destroyers as well. I haven't read Last of the Jedi. Is that a one off or a class?

--Adm. Nick

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Looks like a TOR Destroyer, to me?

6. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, it's the Star Destroyer that destroys the Jedi Asteroid. A character recognizes the shape, but I don't know if this is meant to indicate a class...

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    So, despite my overall loathing of LOTF, I have been inspired (thanks to by buddy Sinrebirth) to re-read the parts of the series directly pertaining to the Second Galactic Civil War. In particular, I was reading Revelation and the rather epic battle of Fondor. It has been years since I re-read it, but I was rather suprised to find that I liked the battle, especially the ultimate split between the pro-Niathal forces of the GA and the pro-Caedus forces.

Anyways, there were a few things that caught my eye that I figured I would throw out for discussion. For starters, the reference to the Imperial Remnant contribution containing "twenty Star Destroyers and carriers" gave me an idea. Given that these twenty warships have Star Destroyers and carriers lumped in the same total, perhaps this could be a retcon that have the Remnant fielding some older Secutor-class Star Destroyers? They are essentially carriers, so it would be a fun little retcon.

Another fun thing that caught my eye was the fact that the Ocean and one of her sisterships are referred to at one point as "Destroyers", I wonder if we coudl retcon that to be a reference to the warship being a Mon Cal warship that is an Anaxes system "Star Destroyer". Given the ships nomenclature and the fact that Admiral Niathal favors the vessel, it is almost certainly a Mon Cal built warship. It would be a fun way of pointing to an EU source and saying it referenced the Anaxes system. Retcons of this nature are always the best. :D

Personally, I would love to learn that the Ocean was a Mon Cal heavy carrier, just so that we have that class fleshed out a bit.

Thoughts?

--Adm. Nick

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Mon Cal heavy carrier, yet another ship I can't stand because yet again, another ship that needs to be fleshed out. For goodness sake, they still haven't fleshed out the Tector-class Star Destroyer, along with so many other Star Destroyers.

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, as Mon Cal warships go, we don't have too many that are not fleshed out. And remember, Aaron Allston tried very hard to incorporate new designs in LOTF, while Traviss and Denning simply ignored them. By all accounts and purposes, the GADF should of been fielding Mon Cal heavy carriers and Galactic-class battle carriers in this period.

--Adm. Nick

10. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Assuming I actually cared for the scenario created in LotF, Mon Cal heavy carriers and Galactic-class battle carriers should indeed be the backbone of the GADF. Its a fundamental problem with Star Wars, the authors have a tendency to reuse ships constantly, and when they do create new ships there usually aren't many details, which is why I see the New Class Modernization Program as such a welcome addition to the universe.

blackmyron and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You and I agree on this 100%. The problem isn't new vessels, the problem is authors not using them or creating them and then ignoring them. The problem we have is that the current crop of authors are just to tied to the ISD and plain old Mon Cal cruiser, which is why we end up with generic descriptions for ships (if we even get them at all).

One of the reasons I was such a huge fan of the Legacy comic series when it came out was that the vessels were original, they were fleshed out, and they were used throughout the series. It was so refreshing to see that. Granted, this is partially due to the fact that comics have to focus on consistent visuals, but I still give the creative team alot of credit for keeping vessels throughout the series and not sucumbing to the desire to constantly introduce new stuff.

--Adm. Nick

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Had the series not been cut short, I am positive we would of gotten more information on them. It was a very cool design.

--Adm. Nick

14. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    What still annoys me is that TCW (and the era itself) is so darn focused on the Ven-Star. Yes, I get the point that they were the main Republic warships...but what about the Dreds? The Mandators? The Seppies are getting new ships, so why not the Republic?

And of course the seeming fear of using my own favorite ship, the VSD in anything other than books and the occasional (rare) comic.

EDIT: Kriff, even the Acclamator has gone by the wayside. Apparently the Reps only used Ven-Stars in the Clone Wars.:mad:

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The tendency to constantly reuse the ISD and the plain old Mon Cal Star Cruiser was exactly what I was referring to by "reuse ships constantly."

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Acclamator-class is a beautiful ship. I wish we saw more of them. And yes, I would kill to see some Dreadnaught-class heavy cruisers and VicStars in TCW. God only knows why we keep getting VenStars.

--Adm. Nick

17. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Because Lucas created the Ven-Star thus only it can be used instead of the DIRTY EU (TM) ships?

18. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Tell that to the Z-95. :p

I remember asking Jason to retcon the "Outer Rim Command Center" mentioned in Lair of Grievous into a Mandator and the cruiser seen in holo-footage being attacked by a lone Mandalorian in The Mandalore Plot, a Dreadnaught-class at some point. He wouldn't tie them down, though. We might see this command center at some point and it being something completely else, so I can understand that.

19. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Eh, I forgive the Headhunter for a couple reasons.

One: I like it the most starfighter wise (my username to the contrary)

Two: Its a Starfighter...much easier to toss in.:p

20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Just proves the Z-95 is so awesome not even Lucas can challenge it. :D

21. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
  22. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Given we barely see navy scenes, having an EU starfighter vs. an EU starship, makes little difference at this point.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    We have seen a couple good naval battles, but they seem to be few and far in between now. :-(

--Adm. Nick

24. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah...rather short on the big naval battles. I would love to see something like Endor or Coruscant with Dreds, Vic's, and other EU ships.:D

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I agree that it would be lovely to see Victory class and Dreadnoughts. Battle of Rendilli ought to be inducted into Clone Wars, and Battle of Anaxes would be awesome to see Clone Wars add Dodonna and Screed.
    As for the Acclamator, I honestly don't mind it being relegated to the sidelines more. It is a troop transport first, warship second. We see it in it's intended purpose in places like the Invasion(s) of Geonosis, while the Venator and smaller frigate they added are more the naval combatants.