main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit THE TOR ENCYCLOPEDIA: Spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    EDIT: Ugh, an error occured and I ended up double posting. Apologies for this one.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's happening to me a lot. There are still some bugs, apparently.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Awesome stuff :D Thx

4. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Its happened to me a few times when I posted and got an error but this was the first time I double posted because of it but yeah looks like a bug :(

See, I knew the moment Ceiran posted that, you would be pleased... I could feel a deep resonating throaty Hutt styled chuckle coming from you at a distance :p j/k

Gorefiend likes this.
  5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It is for most hardcovers, and especially for comics and large encyclopedia books. For example, I know the Star Wars Encyclopedia runs for about $125 in stores, where you can get it for about $75 on Amazon. Mass market paperbacks are standardized, though.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Maybe for really expensive hardcovers - I wouldn't know - but for run-of-the-mill hardcovers such as, say, LS&TSOM I have not seen a discrepancy in price near that kind of scale. ( And 125 is not three times 75, it's not even twice the lower value. )

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Especially as it was one of my pet theories about the Hutts rise, ever since we knew the Rakata had been to Varl and that Xim got tons of Rakata technology around the same time the Hutts where rising. :)

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You know when a Hutt rises it's on. Because all that bulk is tough to lift, so it better be for a good reason.

Gorefiend and CeiranHarmony like this.
  9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll admit, the "three times" mostly comes from comics; the most recent example of that I can cite is Watchmen, which I bought recently. $25 at Barnes & Noble, $11 at Amazon. For hardcovers, though, I generally find that they run around $35 at most major book store chains, where they run around $15 from Amazon.

The number does match a bit more if you add in shipping, though in my case (Amazon Prime, which really pays for itself considering how much I use it), that doesn't apply.

10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    so.. tell me, is amazon prime really worth it? give me examples because so far I do not use it. how much do I save when using it? how much do I need to order for it to pay off? and I order a lot too as you all know ;)

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    It entirely depends on how much you use Amazon. With Prime, all two day shipping is free, where one day is an $3 (if I remember correctly on that one, might be $4). Shipping can often add anywhere between $10-$30 to the order, depending on a few factors. The first year I got Prime, I did calculate it, and came up with me saving something close to $300. However, if that means anything, that was before I got really into digital books, so that may have gone down a bit now.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I get free one day delivery on almost everything with Prime on Amazon UK.

I use Amazon loads though for books, video games, toys, you name it.

13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

sounds like it won't help me at all, cause I pay no shipping costs at all at amazon even without prime ;)

I order books there, books are free shipping here in germany. in addition, if I order a book and lots of non-book stuff, so long one book is included, entire package is free if sent together. ;)

so anything else aside shipping stuff?

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ah. I wouldn't recommend it then. Shipping is the main thing, since those prices really stack up. I think certain items you get a lower price on, but I can't say for sure. In addition, you get access to a library of movies/tv shows of similar size to Netflix, though obviously it's not really necessary if you already have Netflix. In addition, you can "borrow" items for Kindle, which is nifty, but not worth the price itself (though I haven't looked into it too much, could be way more awesome than I'm letting on). From what I understand, it's like renting a movie, except you get a month to read it.

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    thx for the information anyway! and you are right, shipping costs can be a pain especially when buying from cheaper or used offers of private sellers where shipping is not free then.

well, as a bookseller I prefer physical books ;) only buy those. I do save ebooks for archival purposes, but I do not buy those and not own any ebookreader or such. hate ebooks. well reading pdfs and such with pc is great, but ebooks I dislike, especially their readers. I just couldn't read an entire novel on a reader. comics maybe, or quickchecks of guidebook stuff and encyclopedias. but novels, especially the size of A song of Ice and Fire would kill me. though, given amazons look inside function... I had quite some on-screen-readthroughs lately :p maybe I will learn and get used to ebooks after all one day.

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I felt that way for awhile. Eventually, lack of room to store books (something not very fun about shoving a bunch of books in a closet) beat it out. At first I only bought Star Wars size books, but I'm currently reading the Wheel of Time and Malazan series via E-books, and both are absolutely massive. I think they both have their advantages; for Malazan in particular, if there's something you don't remember, it's pretty easy to do a search, to see if you've seen that character before or whatever. Of course, with physical books, it's a lot easy to flip through the book, see how long chapters are, etc. Any book that's pretty much made to flip through (most encyclopedias, reference books, tab books, lesson books and so on) demand a physical copy for me. On the other hand, I've actually grown to prefer epic fantasy series digitally.

I'll never stop buying physical books, though I do find some books read really well digitally. And of course it's a much preferable option to paying a ridiculous amount of money for out of print books (cough Matthew Stover's Blade of Tyshalle)

Darth_Garak likes this.
  17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    oh don't tell me about lack of space... I know only too well. two room home for me, wife, kid and all my books ;) we practically live in a maze of shelfs and boxes.

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    man, this book is worth having. you guy have to get it if you don't have it yet. The information not only adds light to the era for those of us that don't play the mmo game, but the art work is awesome. I might consider this one to be the best book of the year for star wars.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Were there flying Jedi, or something?

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    only if you throw them!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The Jedi should have the Yoda toss as its own version of the caber toss.

22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    flying jedi? thats usually my line, but no not that I know off. No Mortis stuff either, or Morag the Witch using a power stick to fly like that ewok comic book. Why is there a flying jedi in the mmo game?

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    he is not flying, he just is falling in the wrong direction!

24. LordOblivion

LordOblivion Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2006
    It's a pretty cool book, though it does seem like they overlooked a few things. I don't play the game, but I know some characters are missing. I don't think anyone major is though. I also noticed Gands and Nautolans aren't listed in the species section despite being shown in other parts of the guide. The quality of the images also varies a lot, but I suppose that's to be expected when they're blowing up screenshots of a game that doesn't have the best graphics.

25. LordOblivion

LordOblivion Jedi Master star 1

Sep 15, 2006
    Actually, there are a lot of sentient species missing. I suppose they might have narrowed it down to the most important and most common, or something like that in order to keep the page count down.