main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why did the Tusken Raiders torture Shmi?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cthugha, Oct 7, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly, and while Jello was correct about my citing Anakin's emotional state, I was doing it to make the point about cold-blooded premeditated murder (the Tuskens) vs a crime of passion which was not premeditated at all (Anakin). That distinction plus the horrific manner in which Shmi died solidify my stance on the issue.

2. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd like to think she was just in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

3. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Um...no, I do really think that Anakin would not have murdered any Jawas or humans if they had been about. I think Anakin slaughtered the tribe of Tuskens not just because they happened to be standing around when he got upset, but because they were of the same people and the same tribe as those who had just tortured and killed his parents. What, do you really think he would have just gone and attacked a nearby Sandcrawler instead, or killed any human captives who happened to be present? Maybe we're just reading this scene a lot differently, but to me, it's pretty clear (especially since he explains his actions afterwards by saying "I hate them!," i.e. Tuskens, not by saying "I was angry and wanted to kill things and there happened to be some Tuskens there!") that Anakin's slaughter of the tribe was an act of revenge for the murder of his mother, against Tusken raiders as such, and not just against random bystanders. I can't see how your interpretation holds up.

And I'm certainly not "whitewashing" the Tusken's actions in the least, nor am I saying that Anakin's actions are morally equivalent to the Nazi genocide. I'm just saying that they're really bad and inexcusable.

Certainly, the emotional and psychological state of Anakin would limit his moral responsibility and thus the appropriate punishment for his actions...but, generally speaking, slaughtering an entire tribe down to the last man is something that it's pretty darn impossible to do without having some idea of what you're doing, so I can't see any court of law simply letting Anakin off under "temporary insanity." Angry or not, stressed or not, he would still be in some measure responsible for what he did.

4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Two factors - Jedi involved in combat have a kind of 'tunnel vision' - and just how long would it take on Force Speed?

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That would crash & burn in the face of the fact (Luke Skywalker & The Shadows Of Mindor) that Jedi feel individual deaths in the Force. Anakin knew exactly what he was doing; he felt each death in his soul.

6. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Or would he - during a "psychotic break"?

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, I absolutely believe that. I'm not following your line of reasoning that Anakin was mad at that tribe of Tuskens not because they killed his mother, but because they were Tusken. Particularly given the fact that he had never indicated any anger towards Tuskens before and had in fact helped an injured Tusken in the TPM novelization.

In the emotional state he was in after having found his mother tortured to death, I'm not following how he would have even given a thought to what race the bystanders were. It was an act of revenge for his mother's death--against the people who killed his mother, whether they were human, jawa, Ewok, Aqualish, or Tusken. And an act of revenge that expanded to include anyone standing nearby--again, no matter what race they were.

I maintain that his killing that tribe had absolutely nothing to do with their being Tusken, and everything to do with the fact that they had either killed his mother or stood around and allowed it happen. And he killed indiscriminately without thinking about the fact that the children had no choice but to stand around and allow it to happen--in fact, he killed indiscriminately without thinking at all.

You're interpreting his "I hate them!" in the garage afterwards as "I hate all Tuskens!"? I certainly didn't. I interpreted it as "I hate these monsters who beat my mother to death!" And he would have "hated them" even if they had been another race, or a mix of several races. (And I "hated them" right along with him.)

If a tribe mixed with jawas and humans had killed his mother, why would he have stood by and thought, "Oh, those are jawas and humans, I'd better not kill them, even if they did kill my mother"? That doesn't make sense to me.

The AOTC novelization explains this fairly well, that Anakin was blinded with rage, and because Anakin had the Force, the entire scene happened fairly quickly. He may have had "some idea" of what he was doing but he killed so quickly that his rage didn't have time to dissipate first, and had he not had the Force, his fate would have been the same as the farmers who tried to rescue Shmi (which doesn't make that particular tribe of Tuskens look any more sympathetic). Based on the novelization and the scene in the film, I don't think the tribe was very big, looked to be about 10-15 tents, one of which held Shmi. IOW, I don't think Anakin had a coherent thought of "I'm going to kill all of them" before he did it--in fact, I'd be willing to bet money that he did not.

Under a court of law I'm sure Anakin would be charged with something, maybe second-degree murder, but he certainly would not be charged with premeditated first degree murder. The Tuskens, on the other hand--kidnapping, torture, and premeditated murder of Shmi, a minimum of second-degree murder for the 26 farmers, and aggravated assault on Cliegg.

I haven't read that book, but it seems impossible to me that the Jedi could feel each individual death across the galaxy through the Force and still survive.

Also, as Tim said, I don't think Anakin felt anything at all during that scene other than rage. He didn't even hear Qui-Gon calling him.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I haven't read that book, but it seems impossible to me that the Jedi could feel each individual death across the galaxy through the Force and still survive.

Also, as Tim said, I don't think Anakin felt anything at all during that scene other than rage. He didn't even hear Qui-Gon calling him.

Maybe not each individual death, but Shadows makes it expressly clear that Jedi do feel death. So does ANH, for that matter, and ROTS, too. Anakin knew exactly what he was doing.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Beforehand? Really? I don't think he did. As I said, I don't think he was capable of having anything resembling a coherent thought at that time.

Afterwards he probably did feel their deaths, which I believe may have led to his breakdown in the garage, not to mention the guilt that he carried with him constantly afterwards according to TCW movie novelization.

10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    I agree. I was told, out of the blue, one evening that my mother had died - I still don't remember all that much about the following few hours.

11. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Exactly. They killed his mother -- that was the whole point. I doubt he cared who or what species they were, just that the tortured and killed someone he loved.

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm sorry, but I just can't, in any way shape or form, lessen the severity of Anakin's crime in my mind. I get that Anakin was angry. I like Anakin, I think he's a compelling character--even a sympathetic one. This is a kid with severe emotional issues whose problems went unrecognized and untreated for years, and which in fact were probably exacerbated by the parts of Jedi philosophy that arguably teach you to repress your emotions. Then they taught him how to use superpowers and gave him an extremely deadly weapon. I'm not surprised that he snapped when his mother died, or that he did a terrible, terrible thing in response--I can never justify it or hold him completely unaccountable, but I understand the factors that led to it.

It's hard to say what a "good" person is or isn't. Is a person who commits mass slaughter but is later sincerely repentant about it and completely reformed now a good person? Or how about Anakin, who I believe was never fully repentant about it? Intellectually he knows what he did was horribly wrong, but I think that deep down in his heart of hearts there's a part of him that still says "screw 'em, they had it coming," and that's what he's really so guilty about. So maybe Anakin isn't a good person, though Obi-Wan seemed to think he was, even after he knew everything Anakin had done before becoming Vader.

But that's not what Star Wars is about, really. Star Wars is about the possibility of redemption even after decades of committing unspeakable atrocities*--it's not about absolution or forgiveness. I don't think Luke's love for his father and what he used to be means he would have argued for Anakin's complete release from punitive justice if he had survived at Endor. Luke believed his father still had good in him, and he was right. But I don't think Anakin ever saw himself as a good person. He was arrogant due to his status as the Chosen One, but all that bravado really hid a wellspring of deep self-loathing for not being the Jedi he should be. That's the reason it took so long for him to see the light; being evil was the path of least resistance, and he figured if he could never be forgiven or absolved, then what was the point of doing anything else? As Anakin, he usually strove to do the right thing, even after his unforgivable slaughter of the Tuskens, simply because he was capable of seeing outside of himself and knowing that one should do the right thing for its own sake, for the benefit of other people, and not for your own aggrandizement or validation . As Vader and as a Sith, everything was, of course, about him. It took the love of his son to make him realize that he could still choose to do the right thing even if all the other bad things he did could never be undone and would forever (rightly) be held against him.

All of which is to say, in a roundabout way, that you can sympathize with Anakin and recognize all the heroic things he did, while still realizing that none of it excuses or lessens what he did to those Tuskens and nothing ever can or will.

*Er, sorry Jello. I meant to say "legal and justified acts in the service of HIM The Emperor and for the preservation of the civilized and secure society that has forever defined his compassionate rulership."

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Wars Republic: Last Stand on Jabiim makes it clear that it's not all that deep down- when he attacks Hett. I think words along the lines of "Every Tusken should die" were used. Hett revealed himself to be human- and talked the issue over with Anakin. And there's a strong hint of, as you said "they had it coming" from Anakin. Hett leaves it up to Anakin whether to confess or not to the Order.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's not up to me to judge who is a "good person" and who isn't, but as far as Anakin's repentance, I absolutely believe it was sincere. The Tusken men who killed his mother? Yes, they most certainly did have it coming.

I do wonder, though, why the crimes of the Tuskens are always minimized in this debate. I'm really not trying to play the "hey look over there!" game, but when I look at this situation, I can't get past my horror over how Shmi died, or the fact that if anyone in this situation had done absolutely nothing wrong, it was her and the farmers who tried to rescue her. But every time I bring it up, I get a response along the lines of "It's OK because it was their culture" or some "hey look over there!" game of "Yes, but ANAKIN..." I have a hard time with both responses.

Jedi aren't supposed to take revenge. I get it. We've beaten that dead bantha, resurrected him and beat it again. But in the process of these discussions, the horror of what the Tuskens did always gets overlooked.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You should so put that in your sig.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Is anyone else mildly tempted to respond to these 'why' discussions with 'Why not?'.

I make this comment if only because I do not have much else to add.

I vaguely recall Kitster had his hands broken everytime he needed to water the Killik Twilight, incidentally.

17. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    *cough*KOTOR Tusken History*Cough*.

They aren't animals. Or is the Empire full of animals for stuff like this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or how about Lusankya? Or Sidious torturing Lemelisk to death, only to resurrect him and threaten to torture him again if he screwed up.

Sounds awfully animal like to me.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As far as the whole sequence, I would’ve personally preferred a “call-forward” to Yoda’s lecture in ESB about how the dark side is “quick to join you in a fight.” Have Anakin simply trying to escape with Shmi’s body, eventually going ‘round the bend as he risks being overwhelmed, instead starting out on a roaring rampage from the get-go.

TragicHeroLover132 likes this.
  19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I think a "monster" was born in Anakin that day when he murdered the Tuskens. A darkness within him that will become worse and worse as the years go by for him.. Until he can murder a man in cold blood, slaughter innocent people, children included, and feel no remorse/guilt for his actions.

Personally i wish Lucas didn't make Anakin out to be such a "monster" in AOTC. Couldn't Lucas have done something different, to show Anakin begin in fall to the darkside without slaughtering children? It's hard for me to sympathies or even see Anakin as a good man in the end of AOTC, and in TCW, because he has murdered men, women, and children, all in cold blood and for revenge. That is something a villain would do, not a hero/good man (it makes it even worse when Anakin is not shown justice for said crimes, and Padme's response to them is lame/unrealistic)

Perhaps if Lucas did not have Anakin mass murdering in AOTC, then Anakin's butchering in ROTS would have been more of a surprise to me.

If lucas had made it so Anakin escaped with his mother's body, without murdering Tuskens (perhaps killing some who attacked him, but only in self-defense), and showed him resisting the temptation for revenge killing, then i think that would have improved Anakin's character, which would cause his ROTS fall to be even worse, because we then know that he is capable of being a good man, and resiting revenge killing like good men should do, but instead chooses to go the opposite path.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't know about the "in cold blood" bit. In the RoTS novel he compares his action then, with killing Dooku "now" and sees it as different- with him being in an uncontrollable rage then, and being very much in control when he killed Dooku.

In the darker kind of fantasy fiction, it does happen- but generally the hero is called on his actions by somebody. A good example would be in David Gemmell's The Sword in the Storm, when the hero's wife has been murdered by a powerful tribe he's at feud with, and he goes to the village ruled by the murderers, and kills everyone there.

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Or as Stover might say... a Dragon? :)

22. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    ????

I don't get the reference.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Stover's "dragon" always seems to be fear rather than rage.

Whenever Anakin's thinking about losing Padme, in the RoTS novel it's characterised as "a dragon coiled round his heart". Becoming Vader has him "kill the dragon" but later in the novel it starts whispering again.

"All things die, Anakin Skywalker. Even stars burn out."

24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I know. Hell, I still maintain that it was Anakin's fear that allowed Mace's Vaapad to react as strongly as it did. One of the best scenes in ROTS

"The dragon tried again to whisper of failure, and weakness, and inevitable death, but with one hand the Sith Lord caught it, crushed away its voice, it tried to rise then, to coil and rear and strike, but the Sith Lord laid his other hand upon it and broke its power with a single effortless twist.

I am Darth Vader, he repeated as he ground the dragon's corpse to dust beneath his mental heel, as he watched the dragon's dust and ashes scatter before the blast from his furnace heart, and you-
    You are nothing at all.
    He had become, finally, what they all called him.
    The Hero With No Fear."

However, there are some others in there that seem to personify the dragon as anger (after all, fear and anger are more linked than most would think), though I can't search for them now. I believe in the fight with Dooku.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh, Gemmell remains one of the best for portraying hard men - but then, he knew a few of those in real life!