main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Darth Maul's real name

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What's done is done. However, this trend of a Sith's real name being the same as their Sith name should probably be put out to pasture.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Not until we get Darth Lawrence.

3. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd prefer if he just stays Maul, plain and simple.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'd like to see a Darth Carth.

5. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Wouldn't it be funny to see a Darth Darth?

Heck, a whole dynasty of them.

Darth Darth XIII is coming. You know it to be true. :p

Note: The above post is a parody of silly Sith naming trends and is not to be taken seriously.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Darth Darth sounds like what the aliens in Mars Attacks used to shout. :p

Darth Darth... Darth Darth Darth... DARTH DARTH, DARTH DARTH DARTH DARTH!!!!!

DarthBoba and instantdeath like this.
  7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm waiting for a Darth Bilious to turn up!

8. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Since the official canon was that he has no childhood, being taken early by Sidious, it make perfectly sense that the only name known to him is Maul.

But since TCW messed up with that, associating Maul to Dathomir ect then in that regard he must have some other name. I do not think there is any need to reveal it.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Darth Plagueis novel has him taken early, by Sidious, but from Dathomir. And his name, according to the person handing him to Sidious- was Maul.

10. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Interesting, since I didn't read Darth Plagueis this information was unknown to me but it seems that Luceno had to adjust his work to TCW. As will all author writting upcoming SW book...

Zeta1127 likes this.
  11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Seeing how his brothers name is frigging Savage wouldn't it make sense for him to have the birth name as simply Maul?

12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Or maybe his mum just thought it'd be a laugh to name one boy Savage and the other Sweetums?

Just think of how all the other Nightboys treated him... no wonder poor little Sweetums grew up with some much hate in him.

This is why Sidious was the father he never had: he gave Sweetums a real name, like the other boys, worthy of a true Nightbrother. Thus Maul was born. [face_devil]

13. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Just think of oddly named males on this planet - one "Marion" (which, to those who don't know, sounds girly) and one "Shirley"! There are probably others, too!

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I would assume that if they did give him a name, they'd avoid Khameir Sarin, since it might seem too obvious. Plus it has that dubious "might be fanon but no one really seems to know" origin they might want to avoid.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Let's investigate its origin.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    It'd be comical if they referred to it tongue in cheek.

"His names [SECRET]? But I'd been told it was Sarin?"
    "And who told you that? One of Rex's super shadow agent pals? Don't be a fool Anakin."

17. Tinwe

Tinwe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I remember reading somewhere that "Khameir Sarin" comes from some foreign translations of the Episode I novelization. (Which ones, I have no clue.)

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I always just thought it came from SuperShadow's website myself.

Hence Captain Rex's top secret super shadowy agent pals.

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's from the Darth Maul Journal, iirc.

20. Tinwe

Oct 20, 2012
    The Jude Watson one? I have that and couldn't find a mention of Khameir Sarin there.

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Hmm, okay. :p I could swear I've read it somewhere in the TPM-related stuff.

22. Tinwe

Oct 20, 2012
    Yeah, I did catch the reference, that was a good one. [face_laugh] "Khameir Sarin" does seem like the type of name SuperShadow would come up with...

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Khameir Sarin name supposedly did originate with one of the foreign translations of the TPM novelization. However, it could have been A) a Super Shadow type rumor or B) Still effectively fanon info interjected on the part of the translator.

24. Tinwe

Oct 20, 2012
    If the latter is the case, I can't help but to wonder about the translator's ethics... Having been trained as a translator myself, we were always stressed the fact that as a general rule, we shouldn't make the translation any better (or worse) than the original source text, no matter how tempting it might seem to "improve" it here and there. Coming up with your own names for novel characters would definitely be off-limits for a professional translator. (Just to be clear, I'm not talking about children's books or the like where the names are often translated, but inserting your own creations that have no basis whatsoever in the source text.)

If we want to give the translator(s) the benefit of a doubt, it could be that they were working from a script that was not the final version of the novel. Isn't that why Galen Marek's name in the German translation of The Force Unleashed was Jacob Nion? Maybe Terry Brooks called Maul "Khameir Sarin" originally but that didn't make the final cut... [face_thinking]

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    What's always confused me about the "translation" explanation is what would have been getting translated? His name isn't given in the novel -- else it'd be in the English version -- so is the translation just of "Darth Maul"?

In which case, how come that ever got interpreted as "his real name", and not just retreated for what it was: a translation.

Equally, if they translated "Darth Maul", surely they'd have done the same to "Darth Sidious" and there'd have been a "Khameir [Sidious]" translation being bounced around too.