main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I think it would be doable, if the Tolkien Estate were brought on board a bit more, and given a role as executive producer, or some such. A bit like G.R.R. Martin on Game Of Thrones, where, if he doesn't have full control on the final result, he still can have his say, and also customarily writes the most important episode of the season. Some food for thought.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But didn't the Tolkien estate deny the rights to the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit too? They just did it anyways.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I know this is the Hobbit thread, but GRRM didn't write the "most important" episode of season 1. :p

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I've been wondering about that... does that mean if he wants to use any Silmarillion references in the Hobbit films, he has to stick to things mentioned in the ROTK appendices or elsewhere in LOTR or The Hobbit? There's material in the Third Age section of the Silmarillion that would be perfect for this project.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    The rights to LOTR have always been out and about ever since the Bakshi cartoon. The only way the Tolkien estate can reclaim them is if they buy them back.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Not the Silmarillion. Jackson doesn't have access to that material. Thank God.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  8. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Right, just LOTR and Hobbit.

9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I want somebody to make Rogue1-and-a-half 's 10 Silmarillion movies at some point.

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not judging until I see the movie, but I really hope they don't take away Bilbo's heroic turning point.

12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That was certainly a gargantuan effort, but, as was discussed in that thread, I don't think it could ever really work, if for no other reason than it's too damned depressing, one movie after another after another.

What' I'd rather see them do is make an extended TV series out of the books, like what HBO is doing with Song of Ice and Fire.

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm sure solojones would rise to the challenge, after she finishes remaking the HP films/TV series. :p

solojones likes this.
  14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
  17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I thought I already posted this.

I guess I did it on FB only, I've known it for a couple of weeks. His son Liam Finn also plays on the track.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    We always knew that he was doing both Smaug's voice and mo-cap performance - but until now only his voicework for Necromancer has been mentioned. It turns out that he's doing both (mo-cap performance and voicework) for both characters. Which is nice. :)

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It's fantastic. Not only will we hear Benedict in the films, but now we'll come as close as possible to seeing him. A mo-cap Smaug cannot give a strong impression of Benedict as a person, but a mo-cap Necromancer most certainly can.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I've been a Hobbit prequel trilogy skeptic, but I'm starting to warm to the project.The story offers two richly detailed areas for flashbacks that intersect with Gandalf and Thorin's father. The first flashback is a 10 minute interruption at Bilbo's home, the second flashback would make an excellent beginning to the third movie. Or, Jackson can easily intersperse the three movies with 20-30 minutes of high quality flashback sequences to tell the backstories of Erebor and Dol Guldur. It won't need to be quite as rushed as the opening segment of Fellowship of the Rings and can include some of the intimacy of the Smeagol-Deagol scene in Return of the king.

Mar17swgirl and Everton like this.
  22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    How many posters of him do you have on your wall?

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That would be great if only because I might get a set visit at some point. Was it just ten? Maybe the Quenta was. I went on into the Second Age and came up another five or so, I think, though those would have to really expand on Tolkien's writings. All pipe-dreams, but fun to think about. I'm just glad someone else mentioned them, because I was about to and somewhere in the back of my mind, i do think it's lame to keep bringing up your own ideas. :p

Darth McClain and RC-1991 like this.
  24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    God willing, that thread will be back one day.