main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Perhaps today is A Good Day to Die Hard

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 6, 2012.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Teaser trailer posted. Had no idea it was coming out so soon- didn't strike me as February release type of film, but maybe that'll reflect a shift in tone from the last movie (which was more of a summer film in design and release). The first 2 films were wintery, afterall.

[​IMG]

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Inquiry. If the entire United States Social Security database could be fit on a single thumb drive, why didn't they just use one of those to begin with, instead of a whole building full of computer mainframes?

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Probably because a building full of computers housing Social Security data existed long before thumb drives did? It's a popcorn movie, Wocky, don't overthink it too much.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Because of hackers, duh.

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm excited! I love Bruce Willis and Die Hard movies. I don't care how cheesy they are.

DarthBoba likes this.
  6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    There better be swearing in this one. Non of that PG-13 bull-crap.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    A Good Day to Die Hard...isn't that the plot of the second half of Clerks?

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Isn't Bruce Willis getting a little old for this? He's gotta be what, 60?
    So long as there's a decent story, fine.
    First one was great.
    Second was OK.
    Third was slightly better.
    Last was... ...um, there.

Maybe Willis should get involved with the next Expendables movie?

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002

We're gonna need a new verse to the song now.

10. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I appreciate that this trailer implies they have escalated the stakes to THE WORLD! Continuing the trend of, building, airport, city, country. Next one, Die Hard in Space?

ViolentVioletMenace likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Willis appeared in both Expendables films, with a larger role in the second.

ma_petite likes this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Loved the first two. Didn't bother seeing the last one. Probably skip this one too.

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I wish that I hadn't seen the fourth one.

ViolentVioletMenace likes this.
  14. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I wasn't particularly excited about this before, but I did like that trailer.

15. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I like the explosions and the song, but won't be seeing it. My mom probably will though.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It was literally hours later as I was walking down the hall at work, I just went, "Ooooohhhhhhh . . . I get it."

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm almost afraid to ask...but why won't you be seeing it?

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Despite her nearly flawless string of recent box office flops, the quest to keep Mary Elizabeth Winstead employed continues.

I keep doing my part. I saw Scott Pilgrim. I saw The Thing. I thought briefly for a second about going to see Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and may even rent it eventually.

19. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    No interest

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    What a surprise. You know, I've always been a nerdish misfit and could certainly be accused of being socially inept and squarish at one time or another. But you dude, you definitely seem to go out of your way in outdoing even most squarish of us JCCers. And no, being a good Bible-thumping Chistian is no good reason.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New international trailer out:

Also new poster:

[​IMG]

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I just hope his super hero antics are just a taaaad bit toned down this time. You know, not surfing fighter jets. Also, no femme fatales who can survive getting rammed to the wall by a truck and, not only that, keep fighting!

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Looks bland and generic.

SuperWatto likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught it earlier this evening. It's an entertaining action flick, but it's very bare bones compared to the other films. They don't waste too much time setting up the story or getting the characters into the events and kinda just take it as a mission-style movie, with no sidetrack lulls like the Kevin Smith scenes in the 4th film.

Tonally, it's closer to Live Free (which makes sense, since they're supposed to form 2/3rds of a new trilogy) though the dynamic is rather different this time out since it's not all on McClane and a sidekick but rather evenly split between him and his son as the main characters.

The downside is the villain and their plot isn't that well developed (though it does develop a little bit of unexpected complexity late in the film after you've been kind of lulled into thinking it's going to remain static) and is kind of forgotten about towards the end.

A shame, given how great Timothy Olyphant was in the 4th film (yeah, I know I'm in the minority with that opinion, but I'll stand by that as the whole point of a great Die Hard villain is one that gets eternally frustrated by McClane's constant interventions in their plot, and Olyphant's character serves that purpose better than any of the other film's villains with exception to the first film- something crystalized in a scene towards the end of LF between him and the daughter; along that same train of thought, that facet of a DH villain is not present in AGDTDH, which is one of it's shortcomings).

That said, the three major set pieces are pretty great and deliver the action.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    My favorite review:

"Die Hard 5 does at least feature the best villain in the franchise: director John Moore."