main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Why does Maul not use " force lightning"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DavidIX, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Ok I'm sure this has been asked before, but what the hell I'll ask anyways.

Considering Darth Maul has been trained since he was an infant by the mightiest of all the Sith. Is there a logical explenations as to why Darth Maul doesn't use Foce Lightning.

Did Sidious purposely leave it out of his training. Was he worried about Maul becoming too powerful, that he limited his training to better control the young Maul.

Is maul just not capable of doing it for other reasons ( species, skill, knowledge etc)

Does anyone else find it odd?

Dooku has the ablity to use Force Lightning and he didn't train under Sidious nearly as long as Maul did. Did Sidious use Dooku's blind loyalty into account and train him better since He wasn't really fearing Dooku over taking him one day?

Thoughts.

2. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    Unlike how it is in the EU, maybe in Lucas SW Sith lightning is something only someone who has trained with the force for 40+ years can do? Or maybe Sidious was afraid of teaching his apprentice everything he knew.

3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Wars is Star Wars, regardless of its source. There's no need to attempt to distinguish between the EU and Lucas' own contributions to the universe, as said universe is a single whole. Just saying.

That said, there's nothing that says Maul doesn't know how to use Force lightning. He simply hasn't been depicted as using it in any source that I'm aware of, and that can be attributed to a number of different reasons aside from an outright lack of knowing how. He's familiar with the technique at least, if nothing else, and has displayed a strong resistance to Force lightning on at least one occasion, likely as a result of Sidious' training.

Esg and Apophis_ like this.
  4. Asharak

Apr 23, 2003

No, it isn’t. There are differences between Star Wars by Lucas and Star Wars EU. It’s pretty clear that Lucas doesn’t agree with every idea in the EU. Lucas doesn’t want Vibroblades in his Clone Wars for an example(that’s why Viszla has the darksaber, and not a vibroblade which was Dave Fillionis original plan), and the reason why not everybody and their mom runs around with cortosis stuff like in the comics. Its completely possible that Sith lightning is not as easy to learn in Lucas version of Star Wars, as in the EU, since neither Vader, Maul or Ventress use it. And what Darth Maul can and cant do in TCW does depend on how Lucas view things.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  5. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    He seems more hands-on, more enthusiastic about killing with his blade and fighting skills, and less about sorcery and things like that. Of course, he's young, but if he lived to be the age of Sidious or Tyranus, he'd be different.

6. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Pleas stahp. EU > Lucas.
    Btw. Lucas didn't invented Asajj, Dathomir, Onderon, Selkath and many more. And vibroblade appeard in few TCW episodes.

Esg and Heero_Yuy like this.
  7. Asharak

Apr 23, 2003
    I say no and no.

8. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Lets not do this whole EU vs. Lucas thing.

I'll agree that Maul is more of a Sith warrior, and prefers to enhance his physicality with the force as opposed to using other Sith methods.

9. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    These reasons. And hell, I think the same applies to others as well. Exar Kun, a man who I think we can all agree was one of the most powerful of the Sith, never used Force Lightning. He was more into Sith Magic and the like.

10. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Maul was actually trained as a Sith Assassin, not as a Sith Lord. Vader couldn't use it as it has to project from living tissue - and he was "more machine than man".

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Maul was never taught it, even Sidious 11 years into his apprenticeship didn't know it. He passed the skill along to Dooku, and Dooku alone. If Vader hadn't got himself into a crisp on Mustafar, he would have learned it. Otherwise, if Vader tried to summon it, he would be electrocuted to death. Maul was never taught as a real sith, only a tool. There was no need to teach him the skills necessary for force lightning, because he was disposable. It's like trying to install a 1080p HD recording video cam into a go-phone.

12. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Metal parts. While he probably could have used lightning when he was still whole, with mechanical parts, that just turns him into a conductor. And lightning seems to be extremely difficult to manage. It only took Vader one second to throw off Sidious's concentration and get him to torch himself. I even recall a specific mention in Stover's ROTS novelization that Anakin would never be able to use force lightning because of the damage it would cause to his life support systems.

Also, because its nice to have unique sith lords that don't all do the same thing over and over again so that we get proto versions of characters we've already seen (cough*The Old Republic*cough)

melkor834 and Garth Maul like this.
  13. Asharak

Apr 23, 2003

My point wasn’t really that, it was that it’s a difference between what can happen in a Lucas influenced story, and a story from an EU author. Lucas rules for using Sith Lightning might be different than what’s established in the EU, and the thread maker did ask about the Darth Maul character in TCW. For an example it seems clear that whether or not Darth Maul was a true apprentice or just an assassin, has a different answer if you ask Lucas/Fillioni/Witwer or if you consult the Maul stories in the EU.

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Vader having metal arms and built in life support stops him from using force lightning. Ventress can't because she isn't either strong enough or smart enough to seek a way to learn it on her own. If Maul knew how to use it, I think he would have tried to use it on Obi Wan by now.

15. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    This came to my mind as soon as I saw the title.....

YET. Season just started....

16. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Metal legs. You channel the lightning through your body, (see Emperor in ROTJ) so he'd zap his legs apart.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Darth Plagueis, he explains that you have to have been hit by Force Lightning at least once, before you can conjure it.

Which does raise the question of how the first user of it learned it.

pages 159-160:
    "A Jedi sufficently strong in the Force can be trained to produce a fascimile, but not true Sith lightning, which, unabated, has the power not only to incapacitate or kill, but to physically transform the victim. Force lightning requires a strength of a sort only a Sith can command because we accept consequence and reject compassion. To do so requires a thirst for power that is not easily satisfied. The Force tries to resist the callings of ravenous spirits; therefore it must be broken and made a beast of burden. It must be made to answer to one's will."

"But the Force cannot be treated deferentially," he added as a few final tendrils sparked from his fingertips. "In order to summon and use lightning properly, you will someday have to be on the receiving end of its power, as a means of taking the energy inside yourself."

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Yeah... he just invented Star Wars. [face_laugh]

19. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Either he can't or it's just not his style,

The last thing we need is another guy that spams it every single fight like Dooku.

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I know how it works bud. Too bad he won't be around long enough to clone a new bottom half.

21. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    KOTOR is just as guilty IMO it's not necessarily a bad thing as their at least semi subtle with it

23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Just because he doesn't use it doesn't mean he can't. Palpatine didn't use it against Mace, nor did Dooku use it against Anakin and Obi-Wan during their ROTS encounter. Not to mention that - in the films anyway - it's used unsuccessfully just as often as it is successfully: Obi-Wan blocks it, Yoda catches and absorbs Dooku's, Mace deflects Sidious', Yoda catches Sidious'. A similar question could be raised as to why Sidious and Mace made no attempt to Force push/throw each other or objects, while Yoda and Sidious did that a lot. For whatever reason they just decided not to, it doesn't mean that they couldn't.

We've seen Sidious use it against an unarmed Luke, Mace when his hand was removed, he caught Yoda off guard, and Dooku caught Anakin off guard. But against a prepared opponent it seems like it's not very useful. And if he trained primarily to use a double bladed lightsaber, having a free hand for Force lightning probably wouldn't have been practical, so it might just not be part of the style he developed.

DavidIX and Mia Mesharad like this.
  24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    According to Plagueis, and I'm paraphrasing here:
    "To cast force-lightning, one must get hit with it first... in order to learn how to wield/control it."

If mechno-Maul gets hit with it and cannot redirect the current through another part of his upper body, then he will be overwhelmed... those legs will be the death of him.

25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    ...I haven't taught him yet. [face_devil]

Paparazzo and Seerow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.