main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Tartakovsky wrong or was Lucas about General Grievous's character?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Colten97, Oct 8, 2012.

?

Was Tartakovsky wrong or was Lucas about General Grievous's character?

1. Tartakovsky

39 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Lucas

26 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Colten97

Colten97 Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2012
    Tartakovsky went against George Lucas's original idea for General Grievous. In my opinion he should have listened to Lucas.

2. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    General Grevious is what Lucas created him to be in the films. Because Tartakovsky got a basic sneak peak at what grevious was going to look like for ROTS he took that and ran with it telling everyone from the beginning that whatever way he made him in the little cartoon was 90% positive to not make any sense with what the actual character would be in the films.

There is no such thing as "lucas being wrong" about something he created and flashed before someone else's eyes before it was done.

All the cartoon episode he was in was was pandering to fans showing a big violent, bloody monster with two lightsabers doing ridiculous things and slaughtering ridiculous amounts of jedi. Like a lot of that show was.

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I really don't see much of a difference between the writers' ideas other than Grievous being someone that was new to everyone at the start of the war.

4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Tartakovsky. Not that he's wrong and stupid. Just that his version of the character was "way too overpowered". Everything was highly exaggerated in that cartoon, and while I enjoyed it back then, when I watch it now I can't really stand it. I like the ROTS Grievous. Badass, but in a different way.

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Grievous was cool either way, but nothing can beat Grievous from ROTS, he was amazing and such an evil yet awesome character, he's my favourite villain from SW. I love the characteristics of Grievous, sly and powerfull but always looking for a cheap way out of tricky situations. And what can beat 4 lightsabers?? We saw Darth Maul in TPM with his double lightsaber and thought woah! We'd never seen that before, but then we see Grievous pull out 4 lightsabers! I was amazed the 1st time I saw that scene. I feel that ROTS got show what Grievous is really like and showed the characters full potential.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This guy:
    [​IMG]

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, the guy who created the character wins. Especially given that CW Grievous removes any need for Sidious to have an apprentice at all.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he didn't. At the time, Lucas had just approved the design. There was no voice or animatics to go by. What some people/fans don't understand is that Genndy's micro-series is mostly a caricature due to its stylized nature. Mace couldn't defeat a huge droid army on Dantooine. That contradicts the events in AotC where Mace and the rest were overpowered by them (which were much less). And this is just an example. It doesn't mean that Genndy's series isn't canon, it just needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

SWfan1020 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, well, it seems a LOT of fans forget the salt and are rather upset that TCW doesn't follow Genndy, the so-called "true vision."

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    No, some of us just can't accept the pathetic TCW Grievous who can't even kill a Padawan.

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    While I wouldn't call Grevious "pathetic" I do admit I'd like to see him do something that earns him the name of "Jedi-killer." We know in the EU (LOE) Mace battles him without being killed, as well as Obi-Wan in ROTS, but Grevious does have a reputation, whether earned or just ascribed.

12. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Well I don't think there is any wrong or right between Tarkovsky and Lucas about the character of Grievous. The style of the cartoon CW 2D was meant to be like that. The characters looks badass because they're a exagerated in purpose. Mace Windu is destroying an entire droid army by himself. Yoda got a LAAT down with his force power. No, I don't think there was any misunderstanding between the two, the cartoon was simply made for the fans to get something to enjoy between AOTC and ROTS.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    In LOE Grievous kills lesser Jedi, and in the ROTS novel we hear about some Jedi he has killed.

Size matters not. :cool:

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Some of us who were around the boards during the era when the prequels were being filmed, might remember posters being upset about Grievous' mere existence. The commentary that I remember, was along the lines of Grievous being a fanboy orgasm: "How many lightsabers can we give him? Two isn't enough, let's give him four lightsabers!" And I completely understood that point.

I liked parts of the Tarkovsky series but Grievous' character was one part that I didn't like. I do think that given the role he played in ROTS, it was important that he was made a threat, but really...villain overload.

Sitara and Esg like this.
  15. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    ooohhh burnnn

Sitara, JackG, Esg and 1 other person like this.
  16. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    I agree but then all character in CW 2D was overload... That was the style of the cartoon. Does not Windu beat an entire droid army bare hand? I don't think he would have done that in AOTC or ROTS.

Anyway as for Grievous, if Lucas would have keep the Shaak Tii's execution scene it might have pictured the character a bit more as a Jedi killer. Master Tii is no easy target.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    She is when she's kneeling with her back to Grievous and offering no resistance whatsoever.

Sitara likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    What about Grievous's cyborgification origin story? The old one (he was injured in a shuttle crash arranged by San Hill, and rebuilt with modifications, including to personality and memory) is still being used- even in recent Character Encyclopedia books that have things like Adi Gallia no longer being Corellian.

19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Mace straight up beats him with a STAP in Obsession. In the General Grevious comic it manages to make him seem fallible but still a threat. Unlike TCW which has him get beaten by Gungans

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That criticism doesn't apply since he killed Nahdar Vebb, which IIRC was just promoted to Jedi Knight.

Has the Jedi reputation diminished when they were being defeated by "mere" battle droids on Geonosis? I don't think so. The same applies to Grievous and the Gungans. Both Grievous and the Jedi were overpowered by numbers, which makes their defeat much more believable than anything that has been offered/shown.

21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    One Jedi. And Savage has a higher kill count then him. It's obvious the writers disfavor him. Or are just inconsistent with antagonists

Their were millions of droids at their disposal at Geonosis. Grevious got beat by less then a handful of Gungans. I call that bad writing. I could deal with him getting Zerg rushed by 20ish of them or so while slaughtering a dozen of them only to be overwhelmed by sheer numbers though.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am referring to his inability to kill Ahsoka Tano, and I don't care if she is the hero of TCW, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Its one of the laundry list of reasons why TCW makes complete and totally no sense in comparison to everything else.

SWfan1020, windu4 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh I can deal with her eluding him with dumb luck. Shadow Warrior can piss off though

24. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Damn, I accidentally voted Lucas as having the "wrong" vision for Grevious. Oh well.

Tartakovsky was kinda forced to decide on his own what Grevious was going to fight like. For all we know his animation wasn't even finalized on film. Neither one of them is "right" or "wrong" about it. Lucas' version is the official one, but Tartakovsky's approximation isn't bad.

Granted, the old TCW series isn't something I care to revisit that much. Too bad it isn't more available, but it's a curiosity at this point and nothing more for me.

25. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I find Tartakovsky's more "fun". Of course, it probably wouldn't have worked as well in a live action film, but honestly without the injury he sustains at the end of the original CW series, I would think him a pretty lame villain myself as he is at the start of ROTS. I think if anything though, Tartakovsky's version shows that Lucas was somewhat wrong on the notion that no PT villain should outshine Vader. I remember reading this somewhere (anyone???), that he didn't want the iconic status of Vader trumped by a new villain from the PT. I think this was a mistake since it then watered down the entire energy and defocused the villain (phantomized!) and threat. As MANY have argued over the years, Maul, or someone like Maul, being the main villain all the way through could have done wonders. "Fun" Grevious for me really highlighted that I was missing that villain-as-threat and not as "pointer to something else" or as "pawn in a much larger scheme...you'll see!!!" in a Star Wars film.

Esg likes this.