main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    His marriage to her makes more sense in the book- he's doing what he believes that Ned would have done. If Robb had preggo'd Jeyne and not married her, the kid would have been a bastard. Having grown up in the same household as Jon Snow, Robb knew the crap bastards often had to go through (coughCatelynTullycough) and didn't want his possible child to go through with that. Plus he had already soiled her, which would have made it harder to arrange a good marriage for her. Book Robb was doing what he believed to be the honorable thing, while show Robb was just thinking with his crotch. Though I have to say that the show gives the viewer a better idea of why Roose Bolton turned on Robb.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know. I seem to remember Bolton only following Robb (and Ned and Rickard) because Robb was the stronger lord. Once he saw weakness (Robb's marriage to a Westerlander and betrayal of his promise to Walder Frey) and a way to increase his standing, he took the opportunity to eliminate his family's historical enemy.

3. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Right, I think that the books offer more reasoning and rationalization on Robb's part than the show does. I don't deny that an element of lust was involved in the book as well, but the show seemed to make lust the first and foremost motivation.

4. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I guess that I'm saying more that we get to see Roose's thought process on screen, or at least part of the motivation. He gets to witness the whole sordid Robb/Talysa romance- it's hard not to, seeing as she interrupts him every time he tries to advise Robb.

Robb definitely made a mistake in sending Roose off to command troops while keeping the Greatjon close. Should have been the other way around, IMO.

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, in the books, and this is where I vastly prefer the books to what they did in the tv show, I seem to recall that Robb married Jeyne because he got her pregnant. He did something honorable (but still selfish) by marrying her.

edit: dangit, defeated by "There are more posts to view" once again. [face_plain]

6. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    There's a bit of debate about whether or not Jeyne was ever pregnant. The theory that the Blackfish escaped with a pregnant Jeyne depends upon whether or not the different descriptions of Jeyne's hips (from Catelyn and from Jaime) was intentional, or just a typo by GRRM.

But yeah, agreed.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's no clear indication that she got pregnant (though there are theories pointing to some odd hints). He only took her virginity.

8. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I don't know. Greatjon would've probably charged Tywin and lost the whole army. Roose is sly, he would never have risked the army. Greatjon is just to much of a risk to put in command.

Robb's problem was he didn't have someone he could trust like Greatjon watching Roose at all times. Robb should've kept over Roose like a hawk and if Roose did leave to command Robb should've had his most loyal men with him at all times.

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So in the non-spoiler thread it was posted about how people have changed their view of different characters throughout the books. I actually felt that it was interesting to see how my feelings for them changed, so I started making a diagram of of how I felt for them. It's only in MS paint and there are no true numbers behind it, just a tracker of what I think of the characters. Has anyone else done something like that?

Here's the diagram, a thin line indicates that they aren't in the book, which is basically the case for some characters in Feast of Crows
    [​IMG]

10. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    Hahaha, that is a great idea!

11. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    hahahahaha brilliant!

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I should make one, but it would just be Sansa flatlining at 10.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    So there's no time when you disliked Sansa and no time that you liked Sansa more than you previously had?

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, fine, she's pretty boring as Alayne Stone. :p The primary interest of those chapters is Littlefinger's plotting.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  15. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Honesty at last. [face_laugh]

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Okay I haven't talked ASoIaF for a little while and I need to.
    So anyway I was reading over the epilogue of ADwD (which is awesome) and I can't get the picture of Varys and his "birdies" stumbling upon Qyburn perform his 'procedures' in the dungeons. So I'm going to put it out there that Varys is responsible for Qyburn's death for the following reasons.
    1) Varys hates magic users since being cut.
    2) Qyburn took his job
    3) It'd be awesome

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Uh, don't you mean Pycelle's death? Qyburn is alive and well as far as I can remember.

18. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Ah no, that's just my terrible and poorly edited sentence structure.
    That's more clear.

19. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I have to say that I love Varys' reappearance at the end of ADWD. I was wondering where he'd been off to!

20. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Varys' part in ADWD was about the only thing I liked about it. The whole book seemed to drag on and on. Hopefully, WoW will be better.

21. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Found this on reddit:

"The Stark family is a personification of the seven.
    • Ned - The honorable Father
    • Catelyn - The merciful Mother
    • Sansa - The scheming Maid
    • Arya - The merciless Stranger
    • Robb - The fearless Warrior
    • Bran - The wise Crone
    • Rickon - The Smith
    Even more proof for Jon not being Ned's son"

It's pretty good, although it gets a bit wobbly with Bran and Rickon. Rickon could be the one to rebuild Winterfell, I guess...

Mar17swgirl and Handmaiden_Yane like this.
  22. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I like it.
    I think that Bran's experiences will grant him wisdom, he's definitely gained some since his fall. Rickon, on the other hand, as this picture says, hasn't yet done much. I desperately hope that TWoW grants us some Osha/Rickon/Davos action.

23. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I like it too, although I don't buy it that it's more proof that Jon isn't Ned's son ~or~ not a Stark in some way. Either way, he's only half-Stark. Either he's a Stark through Ned or through Lyanna. Getting a direwolf proves that he does have Stark blood.

24. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    While we're all here; has anyone else been interested in Lands of Ice and Fire? I pre-ordered it the other day purely because it's set to show where Qarth and Asshai are on official maps.

25. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Heh. I am going to read the **** out of that book.

RC-1991 and JackG like this.