main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember a book about space and the solar system I had when I was like five or six had photos of Jupiter and Saturn taken from the Voyager probes.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Potential evidence of living in a simulation

Dear Simmer,

It's a tad difficult to make things happen when bad things keep happening so maybe you could knock that **** off and throw me a bone once in awhile.

Sincerely, The Simmed.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I swear, some people have watched The Matrix too many times.

5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    That's awesome. If we could prove that the universe is a simulation, it would open up the possibility of the first-ever completely secular religion. The entire focus of the religion would be establishing contact with the administrators of the simulation, possibly but not necessarily with the hope of obtaining positive intercession at some distant point down the road.

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi likes this.
  6. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    A simulation?? But, But, it all feels so real!!

A simulation means that we have the opportunity to find God and kick his butt!

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The great thing about the Church of the Universal Simulation Administrators is that we don't have any reason to believe that the Administrators are omniscient or omnipotent or omnibenevolent. There's no particular reason to believe they know of our existence. It's a big simulation. We're the tiniest subroutine of a subroutine of subroutine, however many billions of petabytes it takes to store our information.

Ever since I was a little boy, I've wanted my own cult. But look, I know this is going to be a group effort. We need to get started on the doctrine and liturgy of the Church. The central tenet of our dogma is something like this: Enjoy It While It Lasts.

The liturgy is: Do Lots of Science. Be rational. Do Unto Others As you Would Have Others Do Unto You, Because We May Be The Only Ones Watching.

8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Sounds good! I'm in!!

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I appoint us both Elders of the Church of the Universal Simulation Administrators,CHUSA, because we're both old.

10. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Umm, thanks, I guess. :p^:)^

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Meanwhile, exoplanets do the darndest things.

Astronomers find diamond planet

I will create a laser satellite twice the size of earth! And I will use it to auction off global nuclear supremacy for ... one million dollars!

12. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Ha ha. On the simulation article, some of the comments show that the people commenting don't have that great a grasp of what a simulation is all about. A simulation would be indistinguishable from the real thing to those living in the simulation. There would be no internal references to indicate that you are in a simulation.

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I thought the point of the article was that it should or could be possible to observe empirical evidence that the universe is a simulation, if it is a simulation. If everything tastes like chicken, it's probably because of a flaw in the simulation.

14. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Yeah, that was the point of the article. But the commentors didn't seem to grasp that.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    I sure hope they're not running this simulation on a Linux system. :p

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Short answer - no they didn't.

A planet with a lot of carbon just would fit the mass and radius, but it's not the only solution and there's nothing observational to determine what's the correct case. There's already a few other options.

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Diamond, I sez.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's probably been two decades since I read my first article on parallel computing and its potential. Now we have multi-core processors in or PCs and...this.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This comes up here and there I think mostly from curiosity concerning the film and book 2010.

If Jupiter were a star

Looks like we would be safe here on Earth. I imagine the outer solar system would be none to happy.

24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    I don't think it would affect the outer solar system that much; maybe start life on some of the outer planets?

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I am reading a book by Iain M. Banks called The Hydrogen Sonata, the latest in his Culture series. In it they talk about virtual relity in that when the Minds of The Culture are confronted with problems they run Sims to guide their decisions. The thing with the Culture is that any give Mind(they run ships, orbitals, The Culture itself, they are A.I. but beyond the term "A.I" as well)has 200 billion times the data storage ability of our current Earth. They use a very tiny portion of their thinking power to converse with people, run their ships or orbitals, etc. To give a real world speculation assist here take a look at that Dyson Sphere above again:

[​IMG]

Now. Make it think. Then you have a Matrioshka Brain as postulated by Robert Bradbury(not Ray, Robert). Such a thing could process the entire history of human thought in millionsth of a second.

Regardless of the scifi of the Minds, or the sci speculation of M-Brains, or the reality of ever increasing games and VR the problem thrown out in the book concerns those that spawn in the Sim. At what point do they make the leap to real conciousness in your Sim and do you give them rights? The Culture never turns them off, they do not like to kill. Others in the galaxy switch them off with the philosophy that once switched off it's not like they suffered.

I don't have a point to formulate here, just flushing some thoughts that have been gathering.