main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    a show doesn't have to have a hero, but it does have to have a character I care about.
    The Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraiser has the perfect scumbag character anti-hero. A self-confessed bully, braggart, womanizer, cheat, liar, bigamist, and... Well, he himself admits to having only two good character traits: a gift for learning languages, and excellent horse-riding.
    Continuing to watch something that bores me silly, so that I look forward to mopping the kitchen and bathroom floors, is suffering.
    Starks, stocks, sure. It wasn't like I cared what their names was.

That said, I'm done. If you enjoy the show, good for you.

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm going to go into every thread and poop in it!!

4. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Sometimes I really do think there are such things as wrong opinions...

JackG likes this.
  5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I just cannot comprehend liking the cliche and painful tripe Once Upon a Time over Game of Thrones...

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The Starks, Ned in particular, are clearly presented as the show's protagonists, while the Lannisters are the antagonists. However, unlike most stories, there are no truly "good" or "evil" characters. Nearly everyone is presented in shades of grey, which makes for more compelling storytelling. It's easy to see things from any particular character's point of view, and you may even root for them to succeed against someone else you previously rooted for.

Also keep in mind that the first season is based on one book. Naturally, the first third of a book is dedicated to setting up the characters and the plots; that's how a three-act structure works. Why would you want to give up watching/reading after only the first act is completed? That's akin to giving up watching Star Wars because you're bored with watching the droids wander around the desert.

7. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    This.

I have grown to love characters or at least appreciate others that I did not think I would ever like and I love that. I'm finding I have sympathy for characters that I used to yell "Die, b****!" at during reading the books.

8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    And if you don't, then at least you've given it a shot. The show, the 'verse, is not for everyone. I've given up on shows 20 minutes in, so kudos to you for trudging through 4 episodes, nearly half the first season.

I started with the books, and was instantly hooked. I love how well the show follows the books. But it's something that has wreaked havoc on my emotions, where I'm liking 'bad' buys and getting frustrated with the good. There is no hero, and it's not just a running joke that if you like a character, chances are they die.

9. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I've been reading the books along with the show and really enjoy doing it this way.

And I couldn't make it past the first 20 minutes of Once Upon a Time. Give me Fables any day or GoT any day over that.

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I also tried Once Upon a Time. Terrible. The acting was just bad, the production values looked crap, and the concept did not seem the least bit appealing to me.

But this isn't a **** on OUaT thread, so I guess I'll go to that thread and **** on it.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Whoa, who do you think you are, Kyle Katarn?

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  12. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

I can't even begin to describe how drastically my opinion of Jaime has changed since the first book. And first season, for that matter, since I read and watched them virtually simultaneously.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  13. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    On the Star Wars sentence, this is what my roommate did. She figured the story was too technical 10 minutes into the film and stopped watching it.

Still can't wait for season 3 of Game of Thrones.

14. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, I think GRRM has done an amazing job with Jaime's arc in the books and he's quite an entertaining character, but there's always the one thing in the back of my mind: this guy tried to murder a helpless child. I enjoy reading his chapters, but I don't think I'll ever find him very likable. Not that I believe we're supposed to like the characters we enjoy reading about!

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He was trying to spare us the pain of the Bran chapters, so I forgive him.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i like the bran chapters. but if jaime hadn't crippled bran his story would have been totally different and you might have liked it, so you shouldn't forgive him.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's funny. I detest Bran in the books, but Hempstead-Wright does such a good job with him on the show that he's almost likable. But then I feel the same way about Williams's Arya, too.

18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Absolutely no spoiler content or spoiler references in this thread, HTR or not.

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Hmm. So it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy? Jaime attempts to spare me the tediously boring Bran chapters but, in failing, creates the very chapters I so despise?

This is... I must think on this.

Handmaiden_Yane and Darth-Ghost like this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Guys, we can reference the books for stuff that's already occured but do not even allude to events in books that haven't occured, even vaguely. Remember which thread this is.

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Sure thing, boss.

On that note, can we discuss the fact that Paul Ryan looks like a fully grown, and surprisingly legitimate, Joffrey Baratheon?

SiouxFan, RC-1991 and Handmaiden_Yane like this.
  22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Would that make Joe Biden look like Robb Stark?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So long as you properly give attribution to the person who first suggested that to you.

*cough*

24. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    I think for the Season 3 premiere, my friends and I are going to get the GoT cookbook and have a GoT feast. :D

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'd love to have a GoT party. I know some people who were going to have a GoT feast, but I'm not really close friends with them and they live 200 km away, so it's not like I feel like just dropping by.