main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Dredd 3D (and Judge Dredd: Mega-City One series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, I was planning on seeing Dredd but this blog is sadly pretty accurate:

http://www.sfx.co.uk...s-in-the-title/

2D showing? Very drokking few! Right then, that'll have to be a Blu-Ray buy then. Idiots.

But this does raise the prospect of more films being done in 3D only, which I have no interest or desire to see. I already have 1 pair of glasses I have to wear, I don't want another on top!

I suppose I have to give the film industry a grudging point for it's sheer persistence in shoving 3D down people's throats no matter what, or is this dislike for 3D just me?

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm more worried about Hollywood so desperate for content that they're remaking commercial flops.

You Dredded seeing it before. You'll Dredd it even more now.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, this is a very different beastie to Stallone's version Jabba, it's not much of a Hollywood op either, quite small budget.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'll go see it in 3d. The Stallone version is only bad...well...Stallone is actually the worst thing in the movie but even he was not that bad. It was essentially a pop movie and I was entertained for its duration. And the ABC Robot rules.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I was only a kid when I saw the Stallone version, but I have a clear memory of coming out of the cinema and telling my Mum (she picked me up from the screening) that it was the best film I'd ever seen and ever would.

I have since revised that opinion.

Ulicus likes this.
  6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I run a movie theater in Utah. SLC has to be the worst 3D market in the country. When I worked in Denver our 3D films did much better, here not so much. I'm guessing it's because of 2 factors. 1) Families are much, much bigger here and the added expense is just not possible. 2) Everyone here has eye problems(kidding). My film department will usually for this type of release make us do 1 2D show that is the first show of the day and the rest 3D each day for the first week of release. So they studios can pinch all they can out of a film while it's "hot". After the first week more 2D shows will usually open up and we don't see a ton of drop off in product for 3D adult releases like this.For adult 3D content like this we rarely ever get more than one print of the title so it's hard for us to explain to people why we do it that way. For kids movies we will usually get a print of each, the 2D and the 3D.

3D is here to stay, it's not going away. Everyone spent all this money to change their equipment out to be digital. I think once 48 frames per second becomes more popular 3D will be much better. I know from what I have seen it looks great.

7. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    3D has a pretty limited range, however--it only works, if it works at all, in action/adventure movies. You can't imagine the effect of, say, a Schindler's List in 3D. All the film's gripping moments would seem like gimmicks.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    What's the prevalence of amblyopia in the general population? 5%? That's a significant number that can never really experience a 3D movie, not including those who don't already not enjoy them on aesthetic grounds or alleged eyestrain issues, etc.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    RealD 3D is OK, really seeems to only work well in animations from what I've seen. Converted movies are the worst, but stuff filmed in 3D can work OK.
    Overall if you want to see a 3D movie just see it in IMAX, because then it will actually be noticeable and probably add something to the movie.

3D isn't going to go away, it's an excuse to charge more money. The problem is that 3D TVs have stopped it being a novelty you could only enjoy at the cinema, so the industry needs something else it can have that is unique to attract people. It ceased being about trying to combat piracy long ago.

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Saw this today - pretty gripping. I've not seen The Raid, so I'm not going to compare it to that.

The 3D is used very well - if you like 3D.

Urban is good as Dredd and doesn't do anything out of character.

Thirlby is good as Anderson, though not as mouthy as I remember her from the comics (I think the only Anderson appearance I read is the first Dredd/Batman team-up though, so I'm not what you would call an authority on the subject).

I think the movie version of the Judges' uniform works really well; the Lawmaster, on the other hand, is unimpressive.

Mega City One looks maybe a little too convincing as the city of our future - it and its inhabitants are lacking the colourful craziness that characterises the comic-book world. I think the limitations of the budget, coupled with the embarrassment over the sillier aspects of Stallone's Judge Dredd, have led the movie too far in the direction of realism at the expense of the source - it feels a little too like they wanted to say "ignore the Stallone film, Judge Dredd is really grown-up and hardcore!". I get why they went the way they did, but it would have been braver to use proper Dredd-speak swear-words like "drokk" than regular contemporary cussing.

Anyway, well worth seeing if you're a Dredd fan (as long as you're okay with graphic violence).

11. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I wouldn't worry too much about the tyranny, or even the ubiquity, of 3D. I think the current trend is playing itself out as people realize its not really an applicable tech for every single movie under the sun.

12. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Cartoons and computer animated films work best in my opinion. The forced perspective is pulled off much better. I'll be honest I probably wouldn't pay the up charge for 3D if I didn't see movies for free. The big releases like Avatar maybe.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    http://www.2d-glasses.com/

Course you'll get 1/2 the framerate and the image will probably be dimmer because of that, but may be worth investigating for you luddites.

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Can't believe that the 3D fad is continuing so strongly. What are we, back in the 50's? Sorry, but to me, it is pointless. 3D does not add that much to any movie, even eye-candy Avatar. Like any other special effect, 3D has to somehow help tell the story, and... it doesn't. It doesn't help sell the immersion and suspension of disbelief either, because almost every director (including Cameron) will use it in a heavy-handed fashion, just as the SW Special Editions slapped the audience in the face with most of the CGI additions.
    Can anyone actually tell me that he/she was impressed by SE:ANH's Jabba the Hutt?
    Adding 3D will not help the prequels, nor any other movie.

Hopefully, this will fade.

I remember seeing trailers for the first Dredd movie, staring Dolph Lundgren. Unfortunately, we got the Stalone recast, with the ending directly lifted and cloned from Demolition Man. Oh well.

15. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I totally read this title as Tranny 3D.

Which could have added an interesting curve to this discussion. :D

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    97 SE Jabba is fine, DVD SE Jabba is weird.

Only if the demand goes down, and the demand seems pretty high given how many people specify 3D and now buy 3D TVs.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I just got back from it, saw it in 3d. It's a good goddamn movie and I want more. There is nothing terribly deep about it, nothing immensley psychological or exploratory. But this is by no means a stupid movie. It was just damn good to watch. It's gritty and hard and not for kids. One small spoiler for you which will make long time Dredd fans happy; not once does he take that helmet off.

18. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I agree for what it was it was very good. I wish a ton of action movies would take notes from this one. They got right into it and didn't have a bunch of side plot garbage to stretch the movie out. 1000 times more entertaining than that piece of garbage film Stalone made.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I could make a list of bad things about the Stallone version but it is a fun movie regardless. I actually like everything in the movie aside from Stallone.

20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Resident Evil and Dredd are really duking it out this weekend. For fifth place.

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Add Rob Schneider, as well. His comic relief (if you can call it that) was oh so not needed.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Saw it in 2d, I'm sure seeing it in 3d would inhance the Slo-Mo scenes. Either way AWESOME movie. Reminded me of the old great 80's action movies. Maybe in someways it reminded me of ROBOCOP. And it's not just a dumb action movie either, it actually has some heart.

It was everything a JUDGE DREDD movie should be, and everything an action movie should be. It won't make much at the box office I suspect, but I see a healthy DVD/Blu Ray release. People will wish they had scene it on the big screen.

Looking forward to sequels just hope they keep em small and don't go overboard.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Nobody's mentioned the music, but the soundtrack really worked well to ramp up the tension imo.

24. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    This movie was brutal as ****. ****.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, it most certainly was. Brilliant, in the opinion of a lad who grew up reading 2000 AD. And,yes, the soundtrack was spot on.