main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The mostly official Paul S. Kemp Duology thread (no, it's not canceled)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by max-attac, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, that would probably justify the wait for me too.

2. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Maybe a clone wars duology finally showing us Yoda fighting the dark Jedi on Bpfash and it somehow leading into the Mandalorian Protectors and their actions? That would justify the secrecy.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Or a novel explaining Yoda's origins?

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Kemp's fiction has thus far been rather... visceral, crossed with a curious blend of hard sci-fi and mythology, which would definitely lend itself to a Legacy Era work. Yoda's origins? Not sure. Kemp's been good with writing villains and telling very conflicted hero journeys, so uncertain if a character like Yoda would fit his usual style.

Unless it was Yoda in his young days as Darth Minch.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's what you say now, but when it turns out to be a bleak drama about Luke's spiral into alcoholism as he struggles to come out of the closet to his family about his long-ago relationship with Chewbacca, you'll be singing another tune.

instantdeath and beccatoria like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless its a book set during the time of the Legacy comic series, a Yoda duology set during his youth is the only thing I can think of that would really surprise me. Though I will admit that the Kenobi book caught me by surprise

7. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I'd be surprised if it was Yoda's backstory for two reasons. Firstly I know that LFL at least used to be very proprietary over Yoda's character and history. Sean Stewart agreed to write a Clone Wars novel to fill in for the Shaak Ti novel that didn't happen on the condition that it could be about Yoda, and they agreed, so obviously it's not totally unheard of, but also, it's not something they do casually.

But second, while that might seem like it would then be cause for such secrecy and ceremony, is it really something that mindblowing? Cool? Yes, absolutely. But, is "it's a about Yoda's youth," really something so incendiary it has to be kept secret to this degree? Then again I struggle to think of anything that could justify this level of secrecy unless he really IS writing Bib Fortuna and the Rise of the Dark Falls, the novelisation of Episode VII. :/

8. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Is/was it canon that Bib Fortuna ended up as a disembodied brain in a jar?

9. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Let's remember, there was a time when none of us ever expected to learn about Palpatine's youth, but then we got Darth Plagueis.

10. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Tim Battershell - I think he got his brain put into another body? The Wook should be able to clear it up?

DarthJenari - totally agreed, but they were also WAY less secretive about that even though it had the potential to be way more revelatory?

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, Yoda is one of the most iconic characters in the saga and has only starred in one book as a major pov character. He's been around for 900 years and we only know only a fraction of that. The last century of his life. And like DarthJenari said we didn't expect to find out much about Palpatine's backstory but we did. So why not Yoda?

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Is Kemp as popular an author as Luceno to be likely to get that sort of assignment though?

I love Kemp's novels and am dying for the Jaden Korr finale, but their reception has been a bit hit and miss, whereas Luceno was constantly being hailed for books like TUF for many, many years before Plagueis finally got the go ahead.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So you're saying they've been reading the diversity thread after all?

Actually, Smuggler has a point - Yoda's origin is another good possibility.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I really don't think that Yoda's backstory is likely. Nothing Kemp has done so far has quite suggested that he'd be the man they'd pick for that assignment over, say, Luceno. And if he's picking his topic itself, it seems like he'd want to conclude the Jaden Korr story he started, not drop that and launch off into a ridiculously unlikely venture like "Can I write a duology about young Yoda?"

Plus, the only reason you'd keep that secret instead of hype it like crazy is if you don't want to announce it until it passes Lucas Review, which seems like an unlikely mechanism for publishing -- pay someone to write two books, then hope Lucas doesn't veto them or require extensive rewrites? It doesn't quite compute to me.

The thing that the secrecy suggests is possible to me is that maybe the premise itself is spoilery. Like, it's about Ben, or Luke, and it spoils SOTJ, or Crucible, or something, just to tell you what they're up to or if they're alive or whatever. But I wouldn't buy too much into hype that "The author said it would blow our minds, so it must be the most spectacularly unlikely thing ever!" I'm guessing it's some kind of complement to SOTJ, a post-Crucible story that focuses on someone other than Jaina. But there are plenty of other things that it could be.

15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    We already know Yoda's backstory.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    In more detail. Or first mission as a Jedi, or how he became a Jedi Knight, Master or Grand Master. How about some of his earlier apprentices? There is so much we don't know that would be great material

17. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The Adventures of Yoda & Ikrit? Please, God.

Zeta1127, Zorrixor and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd read a Jedi Apprentice esque series starring Yoda and Ikrit. For once I could forgive having 15+ volumes too.

Valin__Kenobi and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    So, about these top secret novels...

20. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Like I said in the other thread, I think Kemp's duology is due to be about EP7(-9).

CoraxRD likes this.
  21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It seems to make sense, but a duology? If it was three, novelizations; one, bridge novel. But two? That seems weird for this.

22. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Wonder now if the secret was that it could connect Episode 7. I do not know when he was contracted to write the two novels so if it was always the plan, it would seem Del Rey could have known about this in advance.

23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I suspect it'll be a lead-in, rather than an actual novelization.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's probably completely unrelated. This duology was announced in 2010. Unless LucasBooks knew about this acquisition way back then (I doubt it), this duology will be something else.

25. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I kind of doubt that Kemp knew about this two years ago but you never know. I do wonder if we're any closer to knowing what this mysterious super secret duology is about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.