main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why no Novels from an Imperial viewpoint? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Alpha268, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Alpha268

Alpha268 Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2012
    Hi, I would really like to see some novels where the character is for once not fighting for the Rebellion or New Republic, but the Empire. I read "Dark Forces", but of course after like 50 pages the character had to join the "good guys".

I really think the authors are missing out on good novels on the Imperial side. Instead in every novel the Empire gets shot into more and more pieces, and now they are only "The Remnant". But even the authors must have noticed how boring that is, because according to the "Legacy"-timeline in the future the Empire is somewhat back - full strenght. (Only to get shot into pieces once more I assume, never read the comics)

I had hopes for the "Imperial Commando" novels, but the first one followed the same old "Dark Forces" path (What we do is wrong, lets join the Rebels!!!!), and the second one got cancelled :(

Another storyline that disappointed me greatly was the one regarding the clone of Thrawn and the giant hidden Empire in the Outer Rim. So much could have been done with that, the Thrawn-Clone reuiniting his Empire with the Remnant Empire, and then actually fight the Republic (With maybe a victory for the Empire? No total, but a victory), or fighting together against a common thread. Instead R2D2 saves the day, kills the Clone and the Hidden Empire somehow dissappears...

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You've answered your own question really!

Frankly the nearest you'll get to this are books where you either have Pellaeon's Empire or you have the Empire of the Hand, both of which are in effect deemed "good" Empires. But for Palpatine's Empire? Forget it.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That was the hope for the Empire series, but it quickly devolved into being about the Rebel Alliance... literally, once it became Rebellion.

The ultimate cause might be Lucas, as it was told that he nixed the idea of a sequel for TIE Fighter because he didn't like the idea of people playing the "bad guy". But considering that was 20 years ago, who knows what he thinks now.

My related question is this: if there are "heroes on both sides" in the Clone Wars, why haven't we seen a Confederacy novel?

4. Alpha268

Alpha268 Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2012
    I would be happy with Pellaeons Empire, and I even suggested stories from the Empire of the Hand!
    But even those are nonexistant. (Or are there some?).

And yeah, stories from the Confederacy would be cool too. Just bring some diversity into the Expanded Univere already, Im so sick of the same old "Luke & R2D2 save the day"-stories. There is much more potential out there.

5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Soldier for the Empire had some of hat you may be looking for, although the main character does join the good guys, but he does so for a serious reason.
    Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force has some interesting parts from the point of view of a ("former") TIE pilot. The pilot is still one of my favorite characters from that era.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The hero on both sides is of course Palpatine.

7. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    In Zahn's last couple novels, Allegiance and Choices of One, the protagonists are split between the Empire and the Rebellion, with good portions of the novel from the Pro-Empire characters' POVs.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Eh, but not really. You have Jade the half-baked Imperial (who, Zahn hastens to remind us, was never reallllly one of them) and a bunch of ex-stormtroopers (because if they were still serving, why, they couldn't make good protagonists!). The whole time both of them are ranting about how awful the Empire is. In Choices of One, we get Pelly, which is probably the closest thing we'd get: but we have to remember that I. he's a dismal failure and II. he later becomes the NR's pet admiral. He's a "safe" choice as a POV character as a result.

And besides, all three of these characters go on and on about how "the Imperial Court is awful and blah blah blah whine whine whine, I wish I were part of the ruling class but I'm not, complain complain" :rolleyes:

9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Comics have some stuff from Imperial views, but only a few panels at a time.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I just really want a Palpatine novel set before and after ANH. :(

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Hello, and welcome to the ranks of people clamoring for TIE Fighter: The Series. Or anything about Baron Fel. Or anything about the Empire of the Hand and the Fels and Voss Parck and Dagon Niriz. Or, you know, anything Imperial. We've been waiting for a long time, but we have sandwiches.

Also, for the record, Myron: Out of forty issues, Empire had twelve purely Imperial issues, five issues split between Imperial and Rebel POVs, four issues about an Imperial defector, two Boba Fett issues where he's working in an Imperial milieu, one issue about a fringer who's captured by the Empire that was meant to set up an Imperial-focused arc, and sixteen Rebel issues. So it got imbalanced, mostly toward the end, but it never did stop giving us Sunber. And at least many of the Imperial POV stories it gave us were some of the best ones out there -- To the Last Man, Sunber in The Wrong Side of the War, and What Sin Loyalty? Plus Betrayal, The Price of Power, Target: Vader, and A Model Officer are all pretty good, too.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Betrayal was fantastic.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    As Jello remarked, Betrayal was indeed fantastic, and I thought a good omen for the run - but then they did that but with the General that Dodonna didn't get along with, or something. At least now we have Agent of the Empire, which also opened with a strong arc, and appears to be staying the course (with a tighter focus).

But you must admit, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison not only was a fantastic Imperial POV story, but also managed to somehow be about the Confederacy POV as well.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I need to catch up with AotE... I'm really bad with comics. I fell behind with Legacy all the time.

At least I've kept up with Ghost Prison.

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Uh, we were to understand there'd be pie and punch.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, Havac, Tim Zahn could release that book he wrote about Thrawn's enlistment of Soontir. All it needs is Del Rey's stamp of approval and everything's golden.

If only. [face_sigh]

17. CQuigley

CQuigley Guest

He nneds write it into his final wish.
    If i died put that on the net. Come to think of it there is no new webcomic and there is a new season of cw....

Thye gotta throw us a bone. I would be happy with that.

How come nobody mentioned the Stele Chronicles?

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, there's the entire TIE Fighter Player's Guide too.

blackmyron likes this.
  19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    At this point? Because no one can take the Confederation serious anymore. They have devolved into such a band of incompetent hacks one is surprised they actually managed to last as long as they did. Older Clone Wars literature did at least try to give as Sepi characters we could sympathies with, but those glory days are long gone. Though one could easily write an amazing Sepi privateer novel, but why bother when you could easily write a 5 or 6 times better Imperial or Rebel privateer novel. ;)

20. CQuigley

CQuigley Guest

The Tofen Vane story is fairly recent.

21. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I think the reason we don't see Imperial novels is because Del Rey thinks Sith novels are good enough for us.

Which they aren't, but apparently they sell.

22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    And it is not much good.

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It was alright, the art is a little strange and Tofen to much of a tool for Dooku, but otherwise it is surprisingly good. Wouldn’t actually mind it getting adopted by TCW, whilst Slaves of the Republic was actually better as comic.

24. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The cover art could have used a little subtlety in its Red Baron comparison.

[​IMG]

... But wait, he's blue! Wow what a unique take!

25. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I really hope he wears that hat under his helmet while he's flying.