main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What would you add/subtract to make the Prequels better?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthEmpron, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    How many times do you need to be told before you get the hint? Stay on topic or dont post in this thread. Next time will be a ban.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The alert system seems a little buggy.

I just got an alert about a quoted post, but this happened on Sept. 7.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's been happening to me as well. It turns out that if someone else quotes a post with your post quoted within it (hope that isn't confusing) then you'll get another alert.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Nobody even quoted a post that had my post quoted in it, as far as I know. It's strange.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Admins are working on it. Trust me, I had 8 alerts to the same quote the other day. It's happening to us all.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, this is pretty much what I always say in threads with this question. Remove the poodoo-stepping and eopie fart scenes in TPM. Then add a few of the deleted scenes in ROTS and one or two in TPM.

7. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I'd eliminate the little pause before Palpatine stabs Agen Kolar. I might have had him do it from the air.

eht13 likes this.
  8. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There's really not much I would change because the prequel trilogy is just amazing, except maybe Anakin could have had a more positive mood in AOTC and have less scenes of Anakin and Padme talking all the time. It would have also been nice to see Aayla Secura defend herself against Bly and his Troopers and take out a few of them. It could have also shown Yoda, Chewbacca and Tarfful fighting along side each other during the battle of Kashyyyk, seeing Yoda using his lightsaber and force powers to take out some droids. It would have also been cool to see either Aayla Secura or Shaak Ti push over C-3PO with the Battle Droid head in the Geonosian Battle Arena scene in AOTC instead of that other random Jedi Knight, this would have then shown Kit Fisto and another popular Jedi in action and have their own stand out screen time. Little things like this would have been pretty cool to see.

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't understand. I thought it was Kit Fisto who did that.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  10. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Kit Fisto pushed over C-3PO with the Battle Droid body, I'm talking about the guy who pushed over C-3PO with the Battle Droid head.

11. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    I agree. It's always bugged me a little to see how quickly and easily the clones were able to take her out.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd have Jango Fett try to assinate Padme by herself. I mean, why did he need Zam to do it?

Take out Count Dooku and have Asajj Ventress be Palpatine's apprentice In AOTC.

Have Darth Maul live up until ROTS where Anakin kills him after turning to the dark side.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Why do something illegal yourself when you can have somebody else do it for you? :p

14. jawajunk

jawajunk Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2012
    I would have taken alot of the comedy out of the Clone Wars material, 3PO in AOTC got annoying fast and all the slap stick comedy on the invisible hand doesn't really complement the talk about the Clone Wars in ANH. I do understand the rest of ROTS took a dive into serious mood and there needed to be something upbeat about it, but it in movie verse it didn't seem like people took the Clone Wars serious.

15. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Well, I won't get back into the Phantom Menace (since I already made my comments on that movie....no secret I dislike it).

When I saw AOTC, I thought, "Okay this movie has flaws but Star Wars has gotten back on track!"

What could be improved?

1. The love story was bad. Just have it established they had a secret romance from the start.
    2. Make Anakin a more likable character. More noble and unselfish. It would have made the fall so much more powerful. Especially if he really developed a tight friendship with Obi-Wan (more than was established).
    3. I know there are people who HATE Red Letter Media, but I thought he was spot on about the Little kid lightsaber training scene. Hated that too.
    4. I would have liked to see Anakin's emotions towards his mother's death carry onto the end of the movie. He was cracking a smile on the ship with Padme. It was just too soon in my opinion.

Revenge of the Sith

1. General Grevious was too cowardly and a big disappointment. He should have been more of a badass.
    2. Shorten the final lightsaber scene a bit. It dragged on too much.
    3. Eliminate the comic relief on the Invisible Hand. It just does not work. Also, the buzz droids in the space battle seemed silly.
    4. An extended hunting down of the Jedi, especially by suited up Vader, would have been great.

Just my two cents :)

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    TPM: shorten the pod racing scenes and the Anakin shenanigans (make it less random luck that he destroyed the ship, etc.)
    AoTC: shorten the droid "humor" and especially cut way back on the Anakin & Padme shenanigans; show a bit more of the Obi-Wan and Anakin friendship
    ROTS: not much here I can think of offhand (loved the comic relief in AoTC and Grievous was just fine; didn't need Vader hunting down Jedi IMHO)

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I would eliminate the idea that Darth Plageius was still alive around the time of TPM.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think that's what the thread is about.

19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

This thread is about what would you add/subtract to make the prequels better. The novel that hinted Darth Plageius was still alive in THE PHANTOM MENACE is part of the Prequel Trilogy saga.

20. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Mmm...I don't think so; you can watch all six films without reading a shred of EU and not lose anything. And from how you're describing the novel I don't think you've ever actually read it.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Add/subtract to/from the prequels themselves, not to/from EU.

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I would tweak, fix and omit only minor things. I'll start with TPM first and then post later for the other films.

The opening crawl should list Qui-Gon Jinn's and Obi-Wan Kenobi's names. At least this way we'll know who our heroes are from the get-go.

Eliminate the line that Nute Gunray says "As you can see, the blockade is perfectly legal." It just seems redundant.

Omit the scene where the Jedi jump up from the table after hearing their ship explode. I would instead place the dioxus gas coming into the room scene right after they get their drinks, and then have the scene where their ship gets blown up. The next time we see the Jedi is when the battle droids open the gas filled room, which should also be the first time we see the lightsaber in the Prequels. It would give the Jedi weapon a more dramatic intoduction, like it was in ANH.

Fix the one second delay where it seems the Neimoidians lips aren't in sync with most of their dialogue.

Add features to the inside of the Gungan City domes so it doesn't look the Gungans are walking around in a out of business shopping mall. Add things that they could be carrying, like baskets, or bags, or whatever so it seems like the Gungans are doing day-to-day activities.

Eliminate Boss Nass's tick.

Eliminate some of Jar Jar's panic attacks while in the Bongo and give him a line where he tells the Jedi which cave entrance leads down to the Core.

Make the battle droids actually kill more of the fleeing pilots running out of the hangar during the Queen's escape. This would make the battle droids seem more deadly serious.

Get rid of the step in poop and eopie fart scenes.

Change dialogue "Are you an Angel" to "Are you an ?????"...I don't know, just make up some pretty, alien sounding name to replace angel so it feels more like Star Wars.

Cut out all "Yippies!"

Cut out all Jar Jar sticking his tongue out scenes and Jar Jar's silly facial and body movements when it isn't called for.

Fix where Qui-Gon switches off his comlink prematurely when he finishes talking to Ob-Wan about maybe selling the Queen's things.

Fix Anakin's dialogue where it's sluggish.

Omit where he says "whew" before plugging in Threepio's eye. There's no reason why he should have said that.

Make the sandstorm more vicious.

Alter girl wearing braces so it looks like she doesn't have them. It's just weird seeing a girl wearing braces in Star Wars, especially one that's supposedly either a slave or just living in the slums.

Change Qui-Gon's line where he says "C'mon, Kitster. Let's move away." to "C'mon, son. Let's move away." At this point in the film, there's no way he could have known his name.

Cut the redundant scenes where all the pod racers' names are announced and instead add more of the pod race, especially the scene where Sebulba flashes one of the racers, just so we get a better idea what Anakin was talking about. No need to know who these characters are, anyway. The only ones that matter are Anakin and Sebulba and we find out who they are way before the race.

Cut Jabba spitting frog head onto the gong. There's no reason to have this scene since there was a greenlight countdown, anyway.

Cut "It don't matter what universe you're from, that's gotta hurt!" line. It just seems too kiddish and too much what we would say here on Earth.

Add back in only the second part of the Qui-Gon cuts down the probe droid scene.

Add back in Darth Maul's two dialogue scenes advising his master and the Neimoidians about the battle before it and during it so it can help flesh out more of his character. Plus, more Darth Maul, the better.

Add a lot more Naboo and Gungan deaths during the battle to again give the battle droids a more ominous tone to them.

Cut out Anakin saying "How about spinning? That's a good trick".

Cut the Jar Jar tangled foot with droid antic.

Fix all Anakin's Naboo starfighter scenes where it seems like Jake Lloyd is just rocking himself back and forth. In other words, make it look like the ship is really causing him to move around like that, especially when his starfighter gets hit, so it really looks like it caused it to spin out of control before entering the Droid Control Ship.

23. katefan

katefan Jedi Knight

Oct 18, 2012
    Apologies if this was already posted here, but this guy did a pretty darn good job of summing up what should have been removed, added and modified to make TPM better.

24. katefan

katefan Jedi Knight

Oct 18, 2012
    Oh, and I'm not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but something that I would have removed would have been the Jedi robes and replaced them with gray and/or white exclusively. Obi Wan's robes in the first Star Wars movie should have been typical Tatooine garb.

Think about it (and again, apologies if someone else brought this up before me) Obi Wan is supposed to be hiding from an empire that is hunting Jedi Knights and yet he is walking around in his old uniform! That is like a Nazi hiding out in Argentina wearing his old Nazi uniform. I'm not saying the Jedis were Nazis, I'm just using Nazis as an analogy.

25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    But those are the robes that Anakin and Obi-Wan are wearing during the Force ghosts scenes. Wouldn't that be rather indicative of the fact that they were specifically the types of robes that Jedi would have worn in the days of old? I always got the impression that the Jedi wore generic "low-cost" clothing that was easy to fit to a variety of species, as befitting of monks.

As to the video on Topless Robot, well, to each their own. But I didn't really agree with any of the suggestions made. I kind of feel that it removed a lot of the elements that made TPM unique and interesting.

The notion of an Obi-Wan/Padmé romance is also a pet peeve mine. I hate love triangles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.