main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT TPM 3D Has Finally Stopped The "Everyone Hates This Movie" Charade!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakin_Darth, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Our love, appreciation and acceptance of SW came naturally and from experiencing Lucas's films. Their hate, frustration and animosity of SW had to be learned over time.

It always has been funny (and telling) how the SW bashers are always the ones who act like internet police. Bullys felt it was their job to give our fathers a hard time for loving SW and now that it has taken over the culture they give us a hard time for appreciating SW in the modern day.

Some things never change, they just adapt.

Makes me glad they got their work cut out for them for the next 3 years like never before. [face_laugh]

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    And you're a hypocrite. But this is probably lost on you.

A bold, daring yet absolutely hollow statement. Carry on though, you're staying the course!

3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I rest my case.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    The fact that you (sinkie) are claiming that people who like the PT (or even the whole Star Wars Saga and are not just exclusive to the OT) are the ones who are creating or maintaining the animosities and hostilities is baffling! Either you have never been on the internet other than here, or you are deliberately ignoring what's been happening for the last 10 years.
    So far, this site has been the ONLY place I've seen where a mere mention of the PT doesn't bring rabid & irrational hatred.

Andy Wylde and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  5. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Thats the part that I also found enraging as well. Outrageous.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Really, you can like a movie straight away but dislike has to be learned?
    Is there any movie that you don't like and is the only reason for your dislike that someone on a website taught you to dislike them?

About Internet police, interesting comment, because of the people that are calling for censurship and stopping people from saying certain things, the PT defenders are more common in my experience. I have come across a number of people on this site that have said that any criticism of Lucas and SW should not be allowed here. That only TRUE SW fans should be allowed to post here. It is also from the PT defenders that I most often hear about who is and isn't a true SW fan.
    Things like "If you dislike any of the SW films then your are not a true SW fan."

Back in the day, I came across a fair bit of "bullying" from the "gushers", some even created a site devoted to bashing the "bashers". Back then is when the various Sanc. were created because any criticism, no matter how mild, was met with hate flames. A calm debate of pros and cons often resulted in flame brawls. Certainly there have been "bashers" that have crossed the line and acted badly but so too has some of the "gushers".

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

7. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    Weather the particular bashers reaction is genuine or not the fact of the matter is that it is the hateboys who have always fundamentally been on the offensive and they have always been the ones who put the people who like the star wars saga on the defensive, forcing them to defend the SW Saga from something that was created out of stubborn and spiteful intentions towards anything that comes from LFL. Thats how it began in the 90's, myself and many veterans of this site lived all through it and A LOT of people now a days dont have that kind of basic understanding of it because this whole hip-to-hate fad became about raising any new comers into the saga with the impression that the whole "F the big bad Lucas he lost his edge" thing was something from the "the OG fans" who "Knew better maan" in order to spite George Lucas. The sad fact is that whole thing started out as a spiteful sabotage and snowballed from there.

It is now a vicious cycle of forced memes and propaganda that teaches that the attitude towards SW should be to boycott anything new by means of smearing, attacking, drive by bashing and SW that is new and publicly shaming anyone who would comment positively one it. They only really like the brand name of SW anymore, not the SW Saga. All we SW fans are saying is that thats not who we are and what we want to be apart of, we are proud of SW and if you hate it so much than simply stop calling yourselves fans. But they like the brand name too much and SW in too big apart of our culture so they want collective ownership over it.

So for the people you met who said they wished bashing was not allowed here all they meant was that this hip-to-hate forced meme encouragement be outlawed.

And you wanna talk about sites being created? JUST LOOK at the many sites the hateboys have created over the years. "Jar-jar-binks-must-die.com" "originaltrilogy.com" on those sites they seriously and blatantly sound like Religious Zealots! They talk and act like a lobbying arm for an angry cult or something. They organize sophisticated mass boycotts and petitions demanding extreme crazy things like LFL property's be handed over to other producer/directors for creative control. They completely change and re-edit Lucas's films and create a black market for them and not they all "just fan edits" lots are extremely elaborate and sold/traded on dvd9s and other formats. They show almost frighteningly obsessive behavior over a lust to take ownership over pg rated famly movies that were created by a vision fundamentally opposite to this image they have of it in there head.

And now look at the other side. Look at places like prequel appreciation society.com and go see how calm and innocent they are. Look at how nicely and smoothly things run. Look how all people ever talk passionately about it the latest LFL release that people may be excited about. Its completely innocent. It just shows how all we Star Wars fans every wanted was to be able to be fans/enthusiasts without all the attacks and fights and bashing and shame and forced memes and animosity and BS.

They only have one basic rule: No excessive bashing of SW or George Lucas.

Thats the only rule.

If anything I think trying out some basic loose anti-bashing rules would do wonders here. In fact I (and many others) have ALWAYS been a strong supporter of this idea.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Always been on the offensive? I too have been around to many sites back in the 90's/early 2000's and yes there were some that didn't like TPM and some expressed themselves needlesly harsh. But so do those that defended it.
    Even mild complaints were met with "YOU ARE NOT A TRUE SW-FAN, SHUT UP!", "YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAD LUCAS GREATNESS" or "YOU ARE A MINDLESS LUCAS-HATER, GET OUT OF HERE."

In fact the sanc. were created for this reason, that people could tak about good and bad things with the movies without getting flamed the whole time.
    And btw. I did a little Google search for "Star Wars" and in the first TEN pages I found ONE link to RLM's site, that's it. The rest were Wikipedia, Wookipedia, Imdb etc, hardly this wall of negativity you speak of.

From the petition to release the OOT.
    Doesn't sound much like angry zealots.

To clarify, there ARE those that go too far in the complaints and the use of personal attacks against Lucas isn't only rude but also stupid. But not everyone that wants the OOT relesead in good quality acts in this manner.

As for gushers being calm and innocent, sorry I have seen far too much hate, anger and overall bad behaviour to say that one side is nice and cuddly while the other is evil and mean. Both sides have people that cross the line.

But really this type of deabte gets us nowhere. If both sides can accept that the people that like/dislike something have valid reasons for doing this then we can discuss specifically what we like/don't like.
    But your reasoning that those that dislike the PT don't do so out a genuine reaction to the movies but due to some "hate-school", "hate-memes" etc, gets us nowhere. This type of dismissing of the opposite viewpoint doesn't sit well with me. If people like RLM bother you so much, then ignore them. Don't give them the satisfaction of talking about them all the time. This site has good rules of conduct, "Discuss the films, not the fans." Stick to that and leave the others be.

Bye
    Old Stoneface

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, that's what you tend to see in basher sanctuaries: people talking about the good things in the PT.

10. sinkie

May 27, 2004
    I never claimed this. I claimed YOU were doing this by maintaining the stereoptype that all those who love only the OT and have problems with the PT are mindless RLM slaves.

I claimed only that YOU, by doing this, fan the very flames you wished were extinguished.

I never once said every person who has a love of the PT does this automatically. I would never be so foolish as to believe such a thing.

But obviously there is a problem of reading into things what you wish in order to maintain your (personal and not general) victim status.

Just thought I would point it out.

Yunners and Bacon164 like this.
  11. sinkie

May 27, 2004
    Again, see above, your rage comes from you, not me. If you choose to read into what I say what you want to hear, you will never be able to find a middle ground and to be a part of a solution. I'm not going to "police" you into this, but I will state my reasons for thinking it is the reality of YOUR (and not the general pro-Saga/pro-PT crowd) situation.

Please, before you blow a gasket, go back and read what I have been saying. I am conscientiously attempting to be as diplomatic and balanced as I can be. But I won't stand for being pigeon-holed for your personal crusade.

And just in case the reason you two got so worked up I will reword what I meant:

"If one cannot acknowledge that many of those with counter opinions to those that love the Saga/PT, have those opinions honestly and not because they found them on the internet, then they only continue to feed the misunderstanding that exists between us all."

Just in case you somehow read: If you don't agree with RLM you're part of the problem. It is the only misreading I can see that might have got you both so riled up.

Yunners and Bacon164 like this.
  12. sinkie

May 27, 2004
    And this wouldn't be internet policing? Don't you hear yourself talking?

Look, if those places are such wonderful paradises of love and innocence, why do you torture yourself by coming to places where people, at least NOW, seem to be trying to have decent conversations that sometimes venture into territory where differences are acknowledged and argued?

Do you really believe that freedom of speech should be curtailed for such a trivial thing as a movie franchise? This is, well, kind of scary. And the next time you hear of someone suggesting freedom of speech be curtailed for something more serious, look at yourself in the mirror and see if you see someone there who is free of blame.

I think if anything, trying to suggest people stop attacking or speculating on the grounds of what ones opinions are based upon, should be policed somewhat but let anyone voice any opinion they wish. So no more "You only think that because you're a..." type of crap judging of the person saying the things. I know I try to avoid it, or if it comes up, admit freely that I'm only speculating and could be wildly wrong.

Seriously, you need to start reading people's words with an attempt to understand them and not to be able to fit them into your personal vision of how this community functions and is divided as you push for a "victory". I find you filter everything through your lens and make it work for your crusade.

I only rejoined these boards again recently and you were the first one I noticed stirring things up. Up to then, sure, I saw the usual, "yeah, I don't think Lucas got this or that quite right", or "I hate midichlorians" but yours was the only voice claiming that these other voices were somehow not only just wrong but also criminal or trolls or bullies or other negative prejudged entities, attempting to silence them by turning them into the "evil other". This is not something that helps your case since you are simply doing exactly what you accuse others of doing.

13. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    No. -Darth Boba. If you can't prove your points without resorting to petty personal attacks, you are taking a walk. Everyone else consider themselves warned.

edit: Locking this thread. I think we've all gone on long enough about a rerelease from eight months ago.

Andy Wylde likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.