main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.3 - Front Runners - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 12, 2012.

1. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    It was very clear for me that Saw is Steelas Brother. His "Than make your decision." to Lux was clearly a reference to his Ahsoka vs Steela thought. Maybe Steela did not want to give away more secrets than needed to the Jedi and republic.

Its just Ahsoka which looks very surprised when she hears that they are siblings. Lux and Ahsoka didnt know that. Ahsoka looking like, "Damn. i thought Saw is in Love with Steela and teases him because of his jelousy. But he teases him because of me and my immense crush on Lux which is noticeable for almost everyone, because i am the queen of beeing subtile???"

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Yep. Nothing out of the ordinary.

3. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    i love the TCW but this episode was so bad it's not even funny. I give this episode a 2 / 10

DM99 and Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan like this.
  4. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It could have been a lot better. I am shocked that the same guy who wrote Revival wrote this as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Collins_(writer)

IMO Lucas should have hired some writers that have written more action things...

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thought it was mediocre. Started off fairly well.

Would have thought Our Heroes would have been called away, rather than simply taking off. Would have made a bit more sense.

Can we stop with Ahsoka wearing her ridic robe when she has no trouble whipping out the sabers at night when they'd be even more visible?

No droid was able to report that a Jedi was assisting?

The droids were just so ridiculously easy to kill, I could not suspend my disbelief that these hastily-trained kids were as effective as a squadron of clone troopers. :p

Replacement king same model they've used over and over again. Funny they talk about freedom of the people when they live under a monarch. I guess Lucas really does believe in the "benevolent monarch" as the greatest political system.

I would hope to see some reprisals against the rebels as the army would be tightening up security and taking away whatever freedom the populace previously had. You know, not only disabling but blowing up a power station in a post literate, highly technological society, might have other effects besides disabling droids - it would be incredible if say a hospital lost power.

I also laugh because we have the usual trope of "control the capital, control the planet". But you can't really expect a planetary engagement in a 22 minute cartoon.

Also laugh at Rex still in his rebel gear by hologram.

DM99, eht13, Dark Lord Tarkas and 2 others like this.
  6. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Should also just mention they went from beating us over the head with the love quadrangle to thankfully scaling back on it this episode.

Ironically though, Anakin suddenly scolding Ahsoka at the end didn't really have as much impact because it was basically a single glance. :p

And if Ahsoka hasn't figured out Anakin's attachments problems by now, she might want to rethink her career choice. ;)

Finally, would have been incredible at the end if Steela said "he has amnesia!!"

7. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The amnesia line would make more sense for the dramatic music to play.

DM99 and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  8. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Lux and Saw's great idea to "show the people what [they] are capable of" was quite morally twisted.

In order to show to the Onderonians that they're actually capable of defeating the CIS, the rebels decide to destroy the power infrastructure that the droids and the tiny interest group known as the Onderonian citizenry rely on.

Forgive me for thinking this is just a milder version of the justification that the RAF and USAAF used for turning Dresden into an inferno.

"We'll destroy some valid military targets. Who gives a damn if we adversely affect the civilian population? At least they'll know what we're capable of and fear/respect us."

The fact that they always use anti-droid weaponry and never hit anything more than the power grid got the show out of an uncomfortable moral ambiguity.

9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Nah its fine much like the us military has trouble fighting in urban environments so do they droids.

Well usually taking the capital is pretty effective unless the Ruler is actually really popular.

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Are you saying that destruction of valid military targets is not valid? Or not valid if civilians are/might be affected?

11. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    Perfectly valid. However, the flippancy with which Lux, Saw and Steela make this decision is peculiar.

And fundamentally, this is civilian infrastructure being used by an enemy military force. Attacking it would probably be considered a legitimate act by RL laws and conventions, but the way it's presented as a great thing for which the Onderonian citizens should thank the rebels is bizarre.

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    The citizens now have no air conditioning. How can they possibly be cool with that?

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, okay and yes, the celebration of no power seems rather unrealistic. In RL folks go nuts if they go an hour without power. Now, IF the citizens were being horribly oppressed by the droids on behalf of the government and realized they would no longer be terrorized because of the lack of power - well, they should have made that clear. For the record, I think that scenario is unlikely.

:cool:[face_rofl]

QuangoFett likes this.
  14. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I'm not sure how guerrilla freedom fighters or rebels are = terrorists.

15. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    We don't see much in the way of oppression, though. The CIS-aligned king seems fairly toothless, neither particularly benign or malignant.

The droid general sent in to deal with the insurgency will probably change this.

I see what you did there...

Seerow likes this.
  16. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    And the droid gunships until Hondo shows up with his rocket launchers.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol? Do I sense dissapointment there.

I can't help but be reminded of going threw 3 weeks of August in Florida without the A.C or even fans. That was all I wanted.

I can see where from King Rash's point of view the rebels would look like terrorists. Its not the first time I've heard of rebel or freedom fighters refered to that way either IRL or fictional even when the good guy/ bad guy like is as black and white as a swallow-tailed kite. Its going to be interesting to see if Rash actually has a plan for how to use the Power Generator's distruction to his advantage.

Come on, with that badass voice he has to do something. Kinda funny considering why Thorton's voice is badass. Kuze in GitS is a terrorist although one can sympathize with him and see him more as a freedom fighter, although that isn't funny at all.

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Maybe it's winter?

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Then the citizens have no heat. How will they warm to the rebels?

KED12345, QuangoFett, DM99 and 4 others like this.
  20. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I just mean they wouldn't fit the usual definition of terrorists.

21. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, this eppy never got off the ground.

I can't fathom why anyone on Onderon accepted the puppet and the droids he brought with... especially with the lovable King still alive. Meh.

22. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Perhaps the Onderonians didn't anticipate a droid occupation. And with all those droids, its rather like the city is under martial law. And FWIW - I don't think the Onderonians are pissed about the power. I found it quite clear that, in the beginning, the citizens were startled by the rebels. But the rebels attacked droids only. Unless the city's inhabitants are morons, they can figure the rebels took out the power station in order to rid the city of battle droids. I'm sure the rebel's motives are being spread by word-of-mouth, as well. So its no wonder they are cheering the rebels by episode's end.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I guess we don't know much about the how hard citizens of Onderon are being oppressed by this tyrant kind. Its likely we are expected to assume the worst and that the citizen have had their radios and hot meals confiscated so the power generator getting blown up didn't really make any inconvenience to the citizens. Indeed its all turned out fine and atleast two citizens are behind the rebels now, which probably stands in for everybody. The problem is the narrative early in the episode built it up like the citizens were wary of the rebels and this would play some conflict then it changed like a switch to... "They don't think we can win! Lets show them how strong we are a blow crap up! Yeah!" ...Still it would be cool to see some some collateral, given the freedom fighter/ terrorists argument this arc was a great idea to put some black lights on the Republic. I gotta be honest I enjoy this episode for good, campy, corny fun but its really pretty weak. Its definately not on the level of the "Slave of the Republic" arc and is just marginally better than the "Water Wars" arc at the moment.

I am a little confused about where all this false kinda, oppression, free Onderon stuff would have come from. Would this really have all started after Mina Bonteri's death or was something going on before. Weren't droids occupying Onderon before that anyways? This was a Grievous controlled world right? Why was Mina backing the C.I.S. and Dooku again?

24. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    classic hollywood style

25. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Dresden was a revenge operation for London and all the other bombed european cities which was heavily damaged from German Stukas and V2 Rockets. It was not a colateral demage thing. It was a clear punishment for the german people, because they supported Rudolph Hess and his "Do you want the total war?!" speach.

After that Operation the Moral in the Nazi German Population was dramaticaly going down. It was a major strike which helped to win WW2 for Allied forces.