main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Mace Windu's Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I have a question about Windu's lightsaber, what does it represent and why is different to the other lightsabers that are normally used?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Official Star Wars Fact File 112 apparently explains why- the crystal in it was from the planet Hurikane- where Mace went to get them for his lightsaber- rather than Ilum as most Padawans do.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It represents the fact that Samuel L. Jackson told Lucas he wanted Mace to have a purple lightsaber, and Lucas said "OK". :p

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    According to my friend, that Mace Windu's lightsaber meant that he could turn to the dark side anytime he wanted to

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Mace's lightsaber style (Vaapad) takes him to the edge of the dark side- but it doesn't cross over.

His lightsaber colour- being established when he was a Padawan- has no connection to his rank or role.

6. CircaCitadel

CircaCitadel Jedi Padawan

Oct 10, 2012
    It seems that since Samuel L. Jackson convinced Lucas to give him a purple lightsaber, people had to think of a reason for that in the Star Wars universe. I don't think Lucas himself ever said why Mace had a different color.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No. It was just a Samuel L. Jackson request to Lucas.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    ^This. It does represent the dualistic nature of Mace in ROTS pretty well, but given that the color was picked for AOTC, that's just a happy coincidence.

9. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I never really got the whole "borderline Dark Side Vapaad" thing, considering Mace Windu's lightsaber style is quite basic and defensive. He's not even as aggressive as Yoda. I guess they figured "purple is one shade closer to red than blue!" and ran with that. But yeah, it's just because Jackson wanted a purple blade.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I always liked to think of it as, back in the older days of the Jedi they used to have all different colors-blue, green, purple, yellow and orange. Then over time, everyone went to blue and green...Mace's lightsaber was simply what one would call "vintage," one of the last-or THE last-of the other colored lightsabers. Sort of reminiscient of the older days of the Jedi Order - Kind of like a person who drives around a nicely maintained '47 coupe, or a '74 charger.

I know that's not the "official EU" reason, but it's a fun idea.

11. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Purple is the favorite color of Samuel L. Jackson. As other have said, he requested to have is lightsaber's color change from blue to purple, if Lucas wouldn't mind. GL accepted. All that is said in the bonus DVD of TPM.

In-Universe speaking I don't really know the explanation. For sure the purple color of his blade come from what kind of crystal he's got whithin his lightsaber. It is no doubt different from the crytsal that provide the green/blue colors. It must be explained in the Expended Universe.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Comes from a different planet- Hurikane rather than Ilum as most Jedi lightsaber crystals do (when they're not being made artificially).

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He simply asked for purple, we don't know what colour he was supposed to have. And it was in AotC DVD, not TPM.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I wished they used a lot more colors. By the way, isn't Ahsoka's short lightsaber yellow? It's hard to tell.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Lime green.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Oh.

17. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I always thought he was supposed to have a blue lightsaber as per the TPM sneak preview action figure:

[​IMG]

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If we go by that, we would have to accept all those other colours for the Jedi Council, which don't exist per AotC.

19. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Fair enough, good point. :) Although Mace is a pretty major character, the other members of the council are secondary characters so it really doesn't matter about them.

20. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Purple is supposed to represent royalty.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So Mace was supposed to be a prince or king?

SLJ wanted purple, GL said OK.

Alexrd likes this.
  22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I used to have that Windu action figure, but it turned up missing one day.

23. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    And sexual frustration.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I always thought that was blue.

25. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Of course it was the bonus DVD of AOTC and not TPM, my bad.

But I am pretty sure it is said in the making-of that he was supposed to have a blue one but that he requested to Lucas purple because it is his favorite color.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.