main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Kenobi by John Jackson Miller

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJenari, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    hmnn. i always thought that Obi Wan showed remarkable restraint in not going after Vader actively after he found out he was still alive on tatooine. It might have saved billions of lives from Tyranny if he had stopped Vader when he was still getting used to the suit. Of course palpy would have found someone else.

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    It's probably because he believed that if he killed Vader then Anakin couldn't fulfil the prophecy as the Chosen One, thus meaning the galaxy would suffer under even longer tyranny. Some EU even suggests that Palpatine meant to suck the life force out of entire planetary populations, so perhaps Palpatine could've lived forever if not killed by Anakin.

3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    we will never know, unless a infinity book comes out.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Rise of Darth Vader touched on it. Can't remember perfectly, but one reason presented is that Obi-Wan was not wholly confident that he would truly be able to bring himself to kill Anakin, having already missed his opportunity. Plus, of course, Vader is going to be a hard target to reach.

5. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    What we established was that the magnetic field oscillated over long periods of time, such that offworld communications were impossible in the periods in which the Doomed, the Tribe, and Jelph arrived. It's getting a tiny bit better in Jelph's time. By the FOTJ time, it's evidently possible again.

As to Kesh's effectiveness as a "ship-trap" and whether that emanated solely from the planet or other local conditions, we never tried to put that fine a point on it. I do think the idea of hyperspace lanes allows for a system where they're dynamically changing, creating occasional (and temporary) cul-de-sacs -- but nothing has been said to that effect in the stories.

The desire certainly was not to let Kesh become a Gilligan's Island (or Planet, if anyone remembers that cartoon), with visitors arriving and popping out all the time and only the castaways remaining; the place couldn't stay hidden for long in that event. Instead, the parties that have arrived have never left -- but I don't think it's been established that they couldn't leave if their ships were able and they were willing.

6. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    And then there's the fact that if he fails, or even if he succeeds, the Emperor would have all his spies and agents actively tracking Obi-Wan forever, and that would've put Luke right in his sights.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Many thanks!!

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    John - just so our imaginations don't completely run away with us over the next year, can you say on a 1 to 10 scale how likely it is that you'll involve contemporaneous Obi-Wan material (in particular Ferus Olin and A'Sharad Hett), versus doing an utterly self-contained story? One thing I remember loving about Stover's RotS is how he managed to maintain a consistent depiction of Mace Windu from Shatterpoint, and reference a fair amount of other EU besides, without alienating newer readers. And surviving Lucas' line edit, no less.

9. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I really want a young Luke and Leia to be featured in this book.

rhonderoo likes this.
  10. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    You say that like that's a bad thing! ;)

Really, it's best if I leave things to their proper course -- there'll be interviews, the book solicitation, and other opportunities for people to learn more. For now, readers familiar with my work probably have a pretty good idea about my approach.

11. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    If Ferus Olin at least gets a mention, I will love this book no matter the quality, though after the Lost Tribe stories and the Knight Errant novel, I am in no doubt about how great this will be. Anyways, Last of the Jedi: Reckoning was the first real piece of the Expanded Universe I read and is what has gotten me into it, so I really hope Ferus can at least be mentioned, and would like it even more if he made a cameo.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Tell me, John... are there any chances of this book being about Obi-Wan freeing a carbonite encrusted Gryph? That's a dynamic duo if there ever was one.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    What do you mean, freeing? He needs a dining room table, doesn't he?

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Perhaps he'll free him, and once he experiences Gryph's, um, electric personality for himself, decide he liked him better as a dining room table.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Actually, this is the perfect opportunity to include Goodvalor's in the era of the Empire. 3,945 years of 5-star service. :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  16. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    People, people, people, this is the perfect time to showcase Obi-Wan's adventures with those "duck" creatures he mentioned to Luke in ANH. ;)

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    What's a duck?

Master_Keralys likes this.
  18. CQuigley

CQuigley Guest

So this mens a lot of continuity references and rarely seen species.

Please. please you said you loved the Tapani Sector. Let's see Kenobi have some adventures there. I love Herglics.

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    He's still got it.

20. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    This is what I imagine Kenobi being about:

Obi-wan is drowning in guilt over having to fight Anakin, not finishing him, not saving Padme, and how to look over young Luke. His struggles with drugs and alcohol become so invasive in his life, that his psyche creates "Ben" to compartmentalize his current duty and his past failures. The problem is that it gets all crazy and the Ben personality destroys Obi-wan!

Kenobi goes through a psychological thriller style adventure to reunite his fractured identity. There will be something about a murder, and being a tomato in the mirror (I read too much TVtropes). In the end, Kenobi reconciles his past but still loves to drink. Eventually, he goes on to become the Tatooine Pinball champion, hence them calling him "a crazy old wizard".

Barriss_Coffee and RC-1991 like this.
  21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    This couldn't have happened to a more deserving writer, John! Congrats! I can't wait to read it. Hopefully there will be even more filled in spaces of his time and watching over Luke.

Zorrixor and Master_Keralys like this.
  22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Argh, figures that I'm off-line for a few days and the best Star Wars news in months (or years) is announced. And I know I'm really late in replying to the thread but just can't help but add that THIS SOUNDS TOTALLY AWESOME!! :D^:)^=D=

I had been worried with no news of JJM's next new Star Wars project with KE over (for the moment) and while I still miss Zayne, this sounds really good. The Knight Errant novel was excellent and glad to hear JJM's next book is a hardcover, it just seemed odd that the KE novel was one of the few paperbacks and it was so much better than almost everything else.

This will probably be my first Star Wars hardcover in years (well, bought an e-copy of Plagueis, which was probably the last really great SW book, but as a Sith book, I wasn't that interested).

Really glad to see JJM finally writing another story set in the OT era (I think he wrote at least an Empire comic, right?), especially one starring Obi-wan. Everything he writes is pretty good, but not a Sith fan and as far as we know no more Kerra or Zayne unfortunately. Not to mention that beautiful cover (now that's something nice to look at). Just when I think Del Rey has no idea what they're doing, this sounds like it has so much potential and is an example of what they could do, rather than another book that symbolizes everything wrong with most of the recent novels. Really looking forward to this, whenever it comes out, yay, more JJM stuff is always good.

23. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    I like Kenobi. But didn't care for Knight Errant at all (book or comics). And didn't care for the Lost Tribe collection book much either.

I feel mixed.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    What do you have against good things?

Zorrixor, Master_Keralys and Havac like this.
  25. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Except... they weren't good? .... *confused*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.