main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Clone Wars: Defenders of the Lost Temple

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS – DEFENDERS OF LOST TEMPLE #10
    Justin Aclin (W), Ben Bates (A), Michael Atiyeh (C), Mike Hawthorne (Cover)

On sale Mar 13
    FC, 80 pages
    $7.99
    TP, 5 1/4” x 7 1/2”

On a mission with a Jedi general, one trooper contemplates his own worth as a clone of the great Mandalorian warrior Jango Fett. As mission leads through a booby-trapped, abandoned Jedi Temple, this one clone will discover who he is and also where he came from when the Mandalorian Death Watch suddenly appears!

• Set during season 4 of the animated series!
    • Featuring Pre Vizsla and the Death Watch!

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  2. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Interesting premise. The trooper struggling to find his identity in relation to Jango reminds me a bit of Nate/Jangotat from The Cestus Deception. Also nice to see that Jango's still being referred to as Mandalorian.

The way the blurb hints at the trooper finding his Jango heritage when the Death Watch appears has me a bit...uneasy, considering the early concepts for the show that connected Jango's backstory to the Death Watch in all the wrong ways. But I'm willing to assume it's the marketing hype of a brief blurb rather than immediately jumping on the "Canon!" button and crying foul. Here's hoping it'll be something interesting.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Like Mia, I really love the premise. I haven't checked out many of these digest though. I liked the first one, and am planning on getting the Maul one soon.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yes the premise is very interesting....

Though I do share an uneasy feeling that they might say that Jango was part of Death Watch instead of opposed to it. Hopefully it won't happen, and even if it does it might be a character speaking and we can dismiss it as lies or rumors, like Boba's old convoluted backstory.

Also, lightsaber troopers return!

5. CQuigley

CQuigley Guest

I hope it's Spar, maybe we will see him in the CW...

MercenaryAce likes this.
  6. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Must say, its an interesting premise and as Mia said, it kind of mirrors that of Nate in Cestus Deception which I liked. I thought from the title it would be some great exploration mission of a lost Jedi temple but the focus is on the clone trooper which is a good character piece. Though is it someone we know or someone new?

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    And which Jedi Temple?

8. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I suspect its likely going to be a completely brand new world and temple and I wouldn't mind that. Would explain why its an abandoned lost temple though why booby trapped? Has any Jedi temple in the past ever been booby trapped?

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Depends on the era it was abandoned, I guess.

10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    There seem to be only two actual Jedi Temples on record, Ossus and Coruscant - everything else seems to have been called an "enclave".

Sith seemed to proliferate their Temples - could that be, in part, because they couldn't stand each other?

11. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Two? Two? I must have built two hundred in Galactic Battlegrounds.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh man, that would be awesome. Especially if, at the end, he starts to talking to a Mandolorian policeman with an Irish accent....

Too awesome to happen I think.

13. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    But would those be canon? (Sorry about the 'C' word!) ;)

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I presume you also want Ahsoka to kill Spar then? :p

Much as I'd love to see characters like him in TCW... I fear for their fates if they're more than a cameo.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Introduce Thrawn, have Ahsoka (or Lux! He can take his place as the Grand Admiral!) kill him.

Esg likes this.
  16. Jedi Ghurubai

Jedi Ghurubai Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2012
    During the New Sith Wars when there we Jedi Baronies it would make sense to build different temples because the order itself was fragmented. They would be booby trapped to make the life of the intruders difficult if they would try to seek in in case the Jedi Lord has to leave the planet. Rim planets are more vulnerable than Coruscant.

Cronal and Esg like this.
  17. Cad Bane

Cad Bane Jedi Knight

Mar 10, 2013
    I actually got this in the mail today from Amazon. I'm not going to go into a summary of the story because I'm a lazy person and I suck at summaries. Although I will share a few things from it. First off, concerning the temple. You people were right... and wrong about it. It is a new temple but it's located on Draay 2. As in the moon that Lucien Draay bought and ended up retreating to at the end of his arc in KOTOR. This story is essentially about two Jedi and three clone troopers (almost all new characters, just went to the Wook and discovered that the Twi'lek Jedi is a old character) going to that temple to get the Gauntlet of Kressh the Younger to make sure it doesn't fall into the hands of Dooku. Death Watch shows up to claim it for themselves. Good guys somewhat wins. Bad guys loses.

Yes, surprise follow-up to a KOTOR plot point. Wasn't expecting that.

BTW, a new side effect to the Gauntlet: prolonged exposure to it (as in centuries) can cause something or someone to become invulnerable. Happened to a bunch of creatures that were guarding it. Also, no Spar. No mention of Jango from what I recall. Lastly, the 'main' clone was some guy who thought he might be Force-Sensitive when it's pretty clear he isn't. It wasn't the Death Watch fanboy. If you were expecting some character piece like what Cronal mentioned in the above, you're going to be disappointed.

In the end it was a decent story with some nice art.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    KOTOR tie-in? Oooh, neat. :)

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I never expected Draay's moon to be referenced again, let alone mentioned, and definitely not in a TCW tie-in comic! It also features B'ink Utrila (from Labyrinth of Evil) and the gauntlet from Vindication which Haazen uses to try and gain power. This comic has great continuity. WTF! Pleasantly surprised, for sure.

20. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Finally got along to reading this comic. It's a surprisingly good story with plenty of EU tie-ins, including a KOTOR artifact, the Gauntlet of Kressh the Younger. I found the character of clone trooper Glitch to be pretty cool, and it was nice to see Pre Vizsla, Bo-Katan, and Death Watch in comic form (although the art, like most of the other TCW comics, was very cartoony). As JackG mentioned, Jedi Master B'ink Utrila was present in the comic, giving it a nice tie-in to LoE. I wonder if they would ever have introduced her character at some point had TCW been allowed to continue. TCW should really have given us more continuity nods to the more ancient eras, like this comic did.

The ending was pretty neat, too.
    Padawan Omani decides to voluntarily leave the Jedi Order to find her family, which might have retroactively foreshadowed Ahsoka Tano's departure from the Order at the end of The Wrong Jedi in the TCW Season 5 finale. Also, Glitch survives the temple collapse and throws the Gauntlet into a river. I wonder what becomes of it? It kinda seems like a open end...

All in all, a great tie-in comic for TCW. Alas, I wonder if this will be the last TCW tie-in comic now that the series is cancelled? Would anyone know the answer to this question?

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That's a very good question... I hadn't even thought of that. I'm assuming they pulled the plug on the whole series at this point.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Who is the publisher and what sort of relationship do they have with Disney?

This looks interesting, I might have to pick it up.

23. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Okay, looking at the Wook, I noticed that there is supposedly an upcoming TCW comic called The Smugglers' Code focusing on Obi-Wan, slated for release on June 26. I imagine that if Dark Horse keeps their license before then, that it should still be released. But as you said, they might have pulled the plug on the series so that this is the final TCW tie-in comic.

Dark Horse is the publisher, but I am not certain of their current relationship with Disney, I haven't been following. Did they get their contract renewed, or is it set to expire at some point in the near future?

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The idea was kind of nice for this comic, but good darn it the art work wanted to make me cry. I mean I don’t mind stylized comics in general, but this one was just lazy in parts, especially with the backgrounds. [face_plain]