main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC anything ____vs.____ anything

Discussion in 'Community' started by WIERD_GREEN_MAN, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    You ever play that level in Rogue Squadron on Kile II where you fly a Y-wing and drop bombs on that massive blob of stormtroopers that pop out of one of the buildings? The Last Alliance is just a bigger blob.

MrZAP likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Dr. Manhattan vs Superman would be good fight I think, could go on for a while.

If a human can destroy Sauron simply by chopping off his finger while he is wearing the One Ring, he's not exactly going to be hard for a Sith Lord such as Sidious to destroy.

Also, if Sauron is immortal, how come he died? Surely immortal means you are unable to die.

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Immortal does not mean invincible. Twilight vampires won't die of old age (or, I think, sickness) but if you burn them, they still die. Being in able to live forever in theory does not mean you will actually live forever.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Are you serious? Dr Manhattan is omnipotent and all-powerful. He could dissolve Superman into his component molecules or turn his costume into kryptonite.

MrZAP likes this.
  5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    So, Dr. Manhattan, then.
    Greek gods vs. the Norse gods

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Norse gods, Zeus would be too distracted trying to score with the valkyries.

MrZAP and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    A much more balanced... not to mention potentially interesting... Dr Manhattan opponent would be Adam Warlock. They can both turn reality inside out and all of that entering souls thing Warlock does could be marvelous in a Doc Manhattan battle.

Oh, and Norse. For the exact reason Marcus so brilliantly offered.

8. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    Vichy France vs. Franco's Spain

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Vichy France would win, I guess partly depending upon what point in WWII we're talking about. We also have to take into account that it was a puppet state of the Third Reich so...

10. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Cutting off the Ring didn't kill him; it just made him lose his power base (and temporarily his body) and have to flee and regroup for a few thousand years. Remember what Gandalf said in the adaption "Sauron's fate is tied to the Ring and the Ring survived." That applies to the book too. In any case even when the Ring was destroyed Sauron still technically wasn't dead, just diminished forever and unable to rise again. He's literally a god (lower case g) and cannot die. Saruman is in the same boat, though not as powerful, and when Wormtongue killed his body his spirit survived, but was not allowed to return to Valinor.

As it is Isildur got in a very lucky strike; pretty much a one-in-a-million chance. Sauron, aside from being a ******* god, is an extremely powerful combatant who specialized in magic and (until the ability was taken away from him) shapeshifting. He had lost the latter power by the time he went up against Isildur otherwise it would have ended very differently. There's no reason why a Sauron at full power couldn't go toe-to-toe with Palpatine, especially since he pretty much can't die. Like I said Palpatine's main advantages would be his lightsaber and his speed, and the latter only comes into play if the former even helps at all. This is besides the fact that Sauron can utterly bend the minds of countless mooks plus the Nazgul to help him out. I don't see how Palpatine can possibly win unless the lightsaber is capable of incapacitating Sauron and he can get Sauron alone and out of the open, and all of those things are big ifs.

Then again Sauron's lord Morgoth was maimed by a mere Noldorin Kingm eve though he came out on top in the end. But that was a magic blade. Lightsabers, as amazing as they are, aren't really the same.

/Tolkien geek :-B

And yeah, Dr. Manhattan vs. Superman is no contest. I don't really know much about Adam Warlock though so I can't call that one.

Norse vs. Greek is closer, but I think the Norse will come out on top because of Zeus getting distracted and the major Norse gods are almost all war gods with a strong level of martial discipline and prowess (plus they're willing to help each other out more due to the courage in the face of death/stiff upper lip stoicism thing).

11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    If I recall, Spain was mostly devastated in the civil war, while Vichy France still had a good portion of its military and economy intact. And Spain wasn't that much of a military power to begin with compared to the likes of Britain and France.

Darth Guy likes this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Having eternal life is not the same as immortality. Immortality is being unable to die or be killed, something beings such as Vampires do not fall under since they can be killed (sort of, seeing as they are already dead anyway). Gods are immortal because they are eternal and can't die (some may be killed by other gods depending on source material).
    Elves in LOTR have eternal life but they can die in battle, so they aren't immortal.

Someone like Dr. Manhattan is immortal because as far as is known he is unable to be killed by anything.

13. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Sauron was a Maia. The Ainur and Maiar's spirits are immortal and cannot be destroyed. But their bodies can be killed like everyone else's body be it Elf or Man.

MrZAP likes this.
  14. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    And yet they come back (see Gilgalad, for example).

I think we need new words to describe the distinction. Eternal life would mean living forever, ie not dying, and immortal means not dying. Anyone want to suggest one/make one up.

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why is everyone so hung up on the not dying point? Just because you can't die doesn't mean you can win a fight. Especially if you are a big stupid eyeball/spotlight. Or if your weakness is a piece of jewelry that melts under extreme heat. Or you got beat by what was likely some middle aged, under-educated jerk with what were in all likelihoods marginal vitamin deficiencies.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  16. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    It really annoys me with Gandalf vs. Vader ones.
    Clearly, the Death Star wins-the battle at hand. But Morgoth and Sauron come back at the end of time to destroy middle-earth. They might get the Death Star then (except it was destroyed by a farm boy who's only experience was shooting wamp rats.).

Edit: I want to point out that it's not extreme heat, but the "fires from which it was forged." Otherwise, they would have found some other hot place.

17. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    How about:
    You vs. the Eye of Sauron

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I always wondered who would win in a fight between a skilled Mandalorian with all the tech like Jango Fett and a Predator.

Many would say it's simple for Predator to win given the strength advantage, but given they have similar abilities (deployable blades, able to see in different spectrums, invisibility) plus the addition of a Mandalorian having near-indestructible armour and the ability to fly and it levels the playing field significantly.
    If this came down to a fist-fight it's clearly one-sided, in a battle of skill and deception it is not.

19. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Eye of Sauron, unless you'd join him for a pretty ring.
    If this was epic Sauron, he'd turn into a werewolf and attempt to destroy you, only to have a bigger werewolf destroy you later instead (because he failed to be the largest ever).

MrZAP likes this.
  20. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    The Flash vs. Sonic the Hedgehog

21. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Oreos and milk vs. tequila shots and OJ. Help me decide.
    5 minutes later...agave for the win.

22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Sonic is completely uncontrollable at high speed. Flash wins.

23. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Which Flash?:p

24. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Sherlock Holmes (BBC) vs. The Doctor

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The Doctor has a Sonic Screwdriver and a TARDIS. Hands down the winner.

MrZAP likes this.