main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The great things about AOTC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by d_arblay, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    Definitely the Phantom Menace is best title because it gives nothing away unlike the rest of the titles

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  2. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Attack of the Clones is one of the most brilliant titles of the whole Saga (and thats really saying something considering all the powerful meanings behind the titles of the 6 SW films).

If the empire struck back in the year 1980 than in the year 2002 it was without a doubt the Attack of the Clones!

Lucas once said in the early 90's (when describing what he thought the PT would be like in relation to the turn of the century) that he thinks the dark tone of the PT will fit really well with the times. Considering the state of our country back in 02 Lucas couldn't have been more right. The parallels between AOTC (as well as ROTS) and real life were amazing to say the least.

3. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    For anyone else that lives here in the UK, AOTC is on ITV1 at 3:00 pm today!

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  4. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    One of my favourite moments from AOTC comes right after Yoda's fight with Dooku.

I remember the first time I went to see the movie it was a Saturday night and the theater was packed - not a spare seat in the house. I think everyone was amazed when Yoda whipped out his lighsaber and started leaping, spinning, and flipping around the place. And then, after Dooku made his escape, when Yoda picked up his stick and resumed his hobbling, the whole audience just erupted with laughter. It was in that moment that we all got the feeling that Yoda's "old man" bit was at least partly an act.

It was a great moment.

5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I loved the whole Obi-Wan's landing on Kamino with him climbing out of his starfighter and into the rain. It just seemed really mysterious and cool to see him arrive and not know what's installed for him later on...pure adventure.

FRAGWAGON and Alexrd like this.
  6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The greatest thing about AOTC, IMO, is the way it accelerates from assassination attempts to full-scale war. It all happens so fluidly and everything's interconnected - Padmé, Dooku, Jango, the clones, Nute, Sidious, the love story...
    It's also in many ways a wonderful homage to classic B movies and pulp sci-fi. Just look at the battle of Geonosis and tell me that it doesn't look like something from a 1950s magazine cover!

AOTC is awesome
    /LM

FRAGWAGON and Count Yubnub like this.
  7. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The initial sparring between Dooku and Yoda, and Dooku's overconfidence in saying "I've become more powerful than any Jedi, even you."

DarthBoba likes this.
  8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Always sort-of wished that had been a duel between Mace Windu and Dooku, but yeah, the Yoda & Dooku duel is great.

Edit: Also, the brief moment before the arrival of the clones when it looks like all the Jedi are going to be executed; pay attention to Anakin. No complaining or whining about how its not fair...he just puts his sabre back over his head and gets ready to go down fighting. Awesome little character moment.

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, there was no time to complain...:p

DarthBoba likes this.
  10. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Agreed! I have never given that moment as much gravity until you mentioned it. But yes it is excellent proof of the fearless warrior of Anakin Skywalker.

DarthBoba likes this.
  11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm sure there was time for an unhappy whistling noise or something :p

12. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    The best thing about AOTC was anakin and padme's theme, "across the stars". That song was definitely the best song John Williams ever wrote, the best song on all star wars soundtrack, and probably one of the best songs, if not the best, ever written.

The ending that mirrored the ending of Empire. Anakin and Padme got married, with r2d2 and c3po standing with them. In the ending of episode 5, luke and leia stood together, with r2 and cp30, the same robots that were with anakin and padme decades before. I liked seeing anakin's robotic hand too, and the music that played during that scene, the old-world look to a futuristic sci fi galaxy.

The battle in the arena, where it was all sandy, where anakin, padme, and obi wan fought the monsters in the arena. Also, the part where anakin and padme emerged into the arena was cool too, the setting was awesome.

The cantina scene. It mirrored the scene in a new hope, with luke, obi wan, and han and greedo in that wild west looking place. I like when prequel stories and original stories mirror each other.

Padme's family. We see Luke and Leia's grandparents, aunt, and older cousins, who they never meet, sadly. That was a deleted scene, though.

The very sad part where Shmi Skywalker died in the sandpeople raid on the village, and anakin went into a rage, especially the part where you hear the imperial march play for a few seconds, over a young, normal looking, anakin skywalker. Foreshadowing is awesome. It reminds us that the deep voiced, cyborg, samurai from the original trilogy is the same person as this jedi young adult. It just worked perfectly in that scene. It also shows his gradual fall to the darkside, and anakin's fear of loss, and how in the end, he saved his son. However, the dialogue and anakin's haircut was kind of bad in that scene, but overall, that sub-plot worked perfectly.

The scene where Anakin rides his hoverbike in the desert.

Meeting owen and beru lars, and their backstory, darth vader's stepbrother and his step-sister in law. That made sense. Darth Vader was part human, part the Force, he had no father, so he couldn't have any siblings, other than half siblings, or step siblings. They should've made owen his half brother, but it worked either way.

Seeing their farm.

Their clothing. I liked Padme's white clothes, and anakin's long black cloak, and at times, haircut.

The scene where you see the army of clone troopers/stormtroopers lined up together. That was just epic.

The battles in the desert.

The best part, was, Anakin losing his right hand in a duel with Dooku, and anakin getting a robotic hand. It explained why Darth Vader in the original trilogy had a robotic right hand, just like Luke. When darth vader was a young man, not too older than Luke was in episode 5, a good guy jedi without a robot suit, he lost his hand while fighting the emperor's sith lord and became part cyborg too. It mirrored empire strikes back. It showed how it was gradual. He didn't become all robotic in that samurai suit all at once.

13. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Like father, like son. The Skywalkers may complain about authority figures holding them back, but when it comes to action, they never hesitate, even against overwhelming odds.

DarthBoba likes this.
  14. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I have a few moments that really stuck out to me in Attack of the Clones. One of them was when Yoda used his saber. I noticed after he was done he looked tired and winded. It was the same as he did when he moved the X-Wing for Luke in the Empire Strikes Back. Each time Yoda had to use the Force I could tell that it took some things out of him. What enabled Yoda to fight was the Force. One other thing on Yoda I know this is an Episode 2 thread but a quick note on Yoda being tired and using the Force to fight when he meets Palpatine at the end of Sith he takes a deep breath after he is hit with Force Lightning. Its clear that these fights were taking a lot out of him.

In Attack of the Clones I really liked seeing all of the Jedi in one place. I had not seen that many before although I do not understand Mace's choice to not take out Jengo Fett right there and then dual Dooku up there. Mace took about 200 Jedi to Geonosis to get 3 people and lost about 160 of them. The Council made a lot of mistakes back then but that is another topic for another thread.

15. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    [face_laugh] at the notion of Anakin complaining in the AOTC arena

you could look at this in one of two ways

1. Padme had just told him she loved him "the circle is now complete" the love is returned, giving him a release of endorphins

2. complaining when Jedi are around with ignited lightsabers= not smart :p

Also, I agree that Dooku vs Mace is a wasted oppurtunity, especial the tension and chemistry they had on the balcony

that said AOTC is my favourite of the whole saga

and is wholly under rated.

16. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Especially if one of them is Mace Windu. :cool:

So you like TESB the least and AOTC the most? You, sir, are the heretic! [face_plain]
    I'm starting to like you [face_batting]

Agree wholeheartedly. Sure, there're some bad lines and wooden acting here and there (like it never happened in Star Wars before). It also benefits when viewing between I and II because it mainly sets up things for ROTS. But as a fan, I find a lot to enjoy and mull over here. No other episode expands the galaxy the way AOTC does. ROTS is more epic in scale but it's also more "high and lofty". AOTC shows us regular Coruscant denizens (nightclub, Dexter's diner), glimpses of Jedi Temple's everyday life beyond the Council Chamber (library, younglings), refugee ship, bounty hunters, Naboo's vistas (Padme's home should've stayed in), clone army's training, Tuskens' camp, droid factory, arena, and clones in action (in ROTS they're more in the background). More Padme's outfits :D We even see people eating (several times). As well as funeral rites and a wedding. It really is the most "normal" of the episodes (if you can even say that about a space fantasy like Star Wars).

17. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    The geonosis battle! and seeing yoda with a saber!

18. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    :eek: 'starting' to like me? :p

I think I like aotc the most because in a sense it's what a Star Wars story should have

War

Mystery

love story

beautiful locations

a very cool lightsaber style (was about time we saw something different)

and for me the pace didn't drag at all.

19. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    I love AoTC. I always have, despite the bad dialogue in the love story. I always found the Obi Wan plot to be the best aspect of the movie. I tend to like the scenes best which everyone hates: Dex's diner, Yoda and the younglings, everything that has to do with Galactic politics, and even the droid factory. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a great film.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I think it takes guts to express contrarian opinions, especially in regards to the sacred cow, TESB. I remember a while back Piett's Hat said AOTC was better written and directed than TESB. Some of the posters went :eek:

It never drags for me either, even the Naboo scenes (at least they have nice visuals and symbolism).
    I think AOTC is the most ambitious Star Wars movie which is why it's perceived flaws are more obvious (as in more to complain about).

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I once admitted I like Clones better than Raiders in the general Lucasfilm forum. I don't think it went over too well.

I always end up preferring the whipping boys, though. Alien 3 and Star Trek V are awesome.

22. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm with you on AoTC, but really? Star Trek V?

23. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I love all the episodes, but AOTC is very special. Like you said, -NaTaLie-, it expands the galaxy like no other episode, thanks to the way it explores the everyday life of the citizens. It's also very daring in the way it takes the old-fashioned, pulp style of Star Wars to the max. Not only is it called "Attack of the Clones", but it also has that dreamlike atmosphere that I associate with this type of movie. The cinematography, the color scheme, the designs of everything from landscapes to creatures and the music make it so.
    I watched AOTC the other day and I have to tell you; everytime I do, I just enjoy it immensely.

One other thing: I adore the movie poster for this one! Absolutely spot on and definitely the best one from this trilogy.

"Now, that's a praise I've not heard in a long time"
    /LM

-NaTaLie- and Count Yubnub like this.
  24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Really. Lot of things I love about that film. The search for God was a lot more interesting than submarine battles in space with Khan and his fake looking chest. I like the fact that the bad guy in the film wasn't really bad, just misguided in a very human manner. The Kirk-Spock-Bones dynamic is great, and in general I loved seeing an older crew have an adventure without the "oh no, we have to retire" threat looming over the proceedings. There's a more pulpy feel to the film than is usual with Trek, true, but unlike the Abrams version I thought V pulled it off while still feeling like Star Trek. They lifted the cantina, for instance, but between the ambassadors plotting here and little details like the Paradise Lost graffiti the whole deal payed homage while still organically linking up with film's main plot.

So yeah, one of my favorite Treks.

25. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    The dreamlike atmosphere is very appropriate since the movie deals with dreams as a trigger for Anakin's troubles. There's also a moment when Obi-Wan and Anakin are talking in Padme's apartment and then the view switches to Padme while's she sleeping - their voices really sound like something that you can hear while falling asleep.

THE PortmanLuvva likes this.