main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Dredd 3D (and Judge Dredd: Mega-City One series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 5, 2012.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The poor box office performance of this film is the most unfortunate note of this year in film. The hard R action film is such a dying breed.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This was probably by far the best use of 3D I've seen all year. If the damn premium price weren't so high people might be more willing to see 3D films. That, and there's just too many 3D films lately. It should be used much more sparingly.

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    The current integration of 3D into practically everything to do with cinema suggests that this film flopped hard for reasons other than the 3D. While a lot of people don't like it there seems to be a lot more people who happily take 3D showings over 2D ones. In my opinion Dredd flopped because the advertising was just bad. It made it look like an extremely generic, very dull film with none of the qualities of the Stallone film that make it a guilty pleasure. It also has the unfortunate coincidence that it has a plot very similar to The Raid, thus many people were wondering if it was a rip off.

The advertising didn't get across how well made the film actually is. A pity because I was really hoping that Dredd would take off into a film franchise. I still have hopes that it will become a cult hit on the DVD release, but it would have to sell numbers that border on being a miracle to get a sequel greenlit.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm not saying this did poorly because of the 3D, but coupled with what you've said it was probably at least a minor factor. Going by Rotten Tomatoes, at least, it's gotten decidedly mixed reviews reviews, but with a tendency to lean toward "it was good". I wonder, is this considered more of a flop than John Carter, which also did poorly at the box office and had sub par advertising, but made a lot more?

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The 3D was not the problem. The fact that it was released primarily in 3D with only minimal showings of the 2D print was the catalyst for its unpopularity. The lack of proper marketing certainly played a role, but for people who dislike/abhor 3D, living near a cinema that either had no prints in 2D or minimal times turned potential viewers elsewhere.

I find the banal idea that it was dismissed due to being a reboot of a ridiculous nineties film to be spurious at best. Once upon a time, the idea of rebooting in the wake of Joel Schumacher's Bat-films would have been maligned. But, much as with Nolan's approach to Batman, this Dredd bears little to no resemblance to its predecessor... because this go around it actually resembles the source material.

6. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm not quite sure what the budget on Dredd 3D was, but going by the fact that it's a British film then I'm guessing that the budget was very low. So it couldn't have been as big a flop as John Cater.

Is Judge Dredd and 2000AD known that well in the US outside of the Stallone movie? It certainly doesn't have the exposure or iconography of Batman or Spiderman. If 2000AD is low key in the US then how are the public to know that it's more loyal to the source material than the previous film? As far as I'm aware the majority of people have only heard of Dredd because of the nineties movie, so they'd look at the advertising for Dredd and just see a remake that takes itself too seriously, rather than a film that is more loyal to the source material.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The 3D vs 2D screening option wasn't that big of a factor. 3D tends to make 40%-60% of box office grosses during the first few weekends for films like this. So, if you assume Dredd would have done 60% better if it had more 2D screens, then it still would have opened to under $10 million its first weekend, and still have grossed (to date, domestically) less than half of it's $50 million budget.

So the trouble is definitely something else for the film. Somehow the really positive advanced word of mouth didn't translate to wider audiences, so that suggests the advertising is at fault. I think the limited advertising campaign (you really didn't even see trailers for the film until about a month or so before the release), combined with the release date of early/mid September (really hard to be a big action hit in there unless you're Rush Hour and have a strong comedy component), is what hurt the film.

I mean- just look at how the majority of comments can be summed up as "this film was a lot better than I had expected". The advertising campaign gave people low expectations for the film. It looked less like a film in the vein of the Terminator and Robocop, and more in the vein of the awful Punisher War Zone, by way of The Raid.

Dredd/200AD's lack of traction in the American market might have been a factor (but then that hasn't stopped unknown superheros from making the jump to a hit movie, ala Blade), but that wouldn't explain its relatively slow overseas performance where it should be better known.

I don't think a comparison to John Carter is warranted- Dredd will probably end up losing $30-40 million (including marketing), but does have the word of mouth that will probably translate to some healthy DVD/BD/Streaming sales (but not the miraculous levels needed for a sequel to get greenlit). John Carter probably lost $100-$200 million (factoring in marketing and campaign reboots, etc) and lacks the word of mouth to generate high/long term video sales.

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Actually I came to the assumption that Dredd is barely known in the US because here in the UK, Dredd's home ground, it's hardly what I would call a phenomenon. Weekly comics have fallen by the way side in this country, they aren't as popular as they once were.

I don't think that Dredd's lack of brand recognition is the only factor into why the film flopped, but I certainly believe that if he was as well known as Batman or Spiderman then the box office would have broken even.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Dredd Sequel ‘Entirely Possible’ With Fan Support, Karl Urban Says

I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'm glad that DVD sales and word of mouth have been good.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I expected they would be, the movie clearly has quality and everyone I know who saw it liked it. Unfortunately not enough people went to see it.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's definitely one of those gems that people are starting to discover through the strong word of mouth. Hopefully the momentum in sales and support will come to something.

Though they have said there will be a Dredd movieverse sequel comic coming out, so there's at least something to look forward to. Still, a full film (or even the short films they've mentioned) would be preferrable.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    If Urban's new series Almost Human is a big hit, that won't hurt its cause, either.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But didn't Batman Begins bear that out, to some extent? I have no idea what it did in terms of box office, but I do know that there was virtually no cultural or media "buzz" about it subsequent to its release. In fact, it ended up steeply discounted on home video by retailers who apparently thought it was a continuation of the disastrous earlier continuity, and people would even argue that you couldn't prove it was in a different continuity ( because they hadn't been paying attention ). I don't remember any mainstream excitement whatsoever about the rebooted film series prior to the death of Ledger.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Karl says a sequel is still be explored.

"Karl Urban told Comic Con yesterday that DREDD exploded on home video, selling 650,000 units in the first week. He also stated that he had met with Alex Garland, the producing screenwriter for DREDD, and that they are actively exploring sequel possibilities, this according to AirlockAlpha, but that the hopes for a sequel are still hinged upon fans for the first DREDD to be as vocal as possible."

VadersLaMent likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And that is one of the ways you get a Like from VLM.

Saintheart likes this.
  16. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

The sequel effort has been trying to organize a Dredd sequel "Day of Action" for today, the 18th, to coincide with the release of the sequel comic "Dredd: Underbelly" (which will be printed in Megazine, which will be available digitally worldwide and in print in the UK.

The Day of Action push is an effort to get Dredd DVD/BD/iTunes/Netflix sales/rentals to spike again by purchasing an extra copy of the movie (for oneself or, most likely, as a gift) to help further the apparent momentum a sequel possibility has gained.

EDIT- Damn, that pic is huge...

19. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Just watched Judge Minty, and I'm impressed. I really admire that these guys managed to put this thing together, you can feel the love in every frame. We at least need a Dredd tv series.

Judge Minty Fan Film

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really really liked the latest film and thought it was one of the best action thrillers in the last 5 years.

soitscometothis likes this.
  21. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok, I'd go see it but I really don't need a prequel.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's not a prequel, just based on a story called Origins. I don't think, anyway.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I get the feeling they can't afford Judge Death and so are going for the wastelands stuff instead, in the hopes that the momentum of the first film will result in a bigger return to then warrant a proper sequel.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh apparently today was "Day of Dredd" and Olivia Thrilby, Judge Anderson herself!, thanked the fans:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/olivia-thirlby-thanks-dredd-fans-737160

best line from the article: "More than 125,000 people have signed the petition to date. Of course, this kind of democratic action is exactly the kind of thing that the notoriously fascistic Judge Dredd wouldn’t support, which may make all of those who’ve signed lawbreakers in his eyes."