main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Why does Maul not use " force lightning"

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DavidIX, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Per KOTOR, Ajunta Pall's spirit becomes remorseful of what he had done and was redeemed with Revan's assistance.

I don't remember how it was worded in the Darth Plagueis novel, but it was something to the effect that the Jedi needed an excuse to "fall" to the Dark Side and in that way make excuses, while those like Palpatine and Plagueis were submerged in the Dark Side from the beginning. It was elaborated on more than that, but I don't have it in front of me.

Someone like Dooku fell to the Dark Side for political ideals, and Vader fell to save his wife. His excuse for falling was convincing himself that it would save Padme, which was undone when he realized that he had to abandon the Dark Side to save Luke. I do not think Plagueis' point was that a fallen Jedi couldn't be evil (Darth Vader did very horrendous things) but that they required a justification to fall that could be undone. Ajunta Pall was redeemed posthumously and he was one of the first. With someone like Palpatine, redemption seemed like it just was not going to ever happen because he was trained in the Dark Side pretty much as a way of life vs. something he turns to or has to justify.

Though the novel itself also establishes that there was a Sith of the Bane line that was redeemed to the Light Side. So, unless that Sith turned out to be a fallen Jedi, he would prove that there are exceptions.

It's impossible to know, but if Maul did not die (which would have involved killing Obi-Wan), then Anakin would never have become a Jedi most likely. Maul would have stayed in the picture. Dooku may or may not have been manipulated to still serve as leader of the CIS. And ultimately Sidious would still have to worry about his apprentice turning on him. But unlike Vader turning on him to redeem himself and save his son, Maul would probably turn on him in an effort to usurp him as Sith master.

Or conversely, with the battle droid army shut down in TPM and the pilots returning from successfully destroying the droid control ship, Maul might have pulled out despite his victory over the Jedi to evade the Gungan army. Anakin still might come to Palpatine's attention, but he might be able to snatch him up before the Jedi (who already seemed to reject him) and Anakin could have been raised as a Sith and ultimately replace Maul at a later date.

But ironically, though Maul might be the weakest Dark Side out of himself, Dooku and Vader, it seems like (IMO) that he would have been the safest bet for preserving the Sith.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Never played kotor, and I'm not familiar with Pall and his posthumous redemption. Sounds pretty interesting though.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, that isn't how it went down in my game Rummy... he wouldn't share his power, so I whacked him. There was no redemption in my play through.;)

TaradosGon
    You are correct. The Jedi will always need to justify their decision to become Sith.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Because they need justification to become Sith doesn't mean much. If a Jedi could switch teams without justification, they should not have been Jedi to begin with..

5. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I had one Dark Side and one Light Side playthrough. I know the LS Revan is canon at the moment, I assume that extends to his interaction with Ajunta Pall, unless it's canon that he just decided to be a jerk in that one instance.:p

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    No. You are spot on with what the *official story is for Pall. I was just pointing out to Rummy that there was another way to deal with that cry-baby ghost.:p And Rummy, the DP book said it was "excuses" which I liked... but that was a Sith Lord's POV.

EDIT:
    Can somebody remind me how this relates to Maul and Force lightning?:p

7. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    It has to do with those claiming that Palpatine might not have trained Maul to use Force lightning because he was never intended to be his apprentice. Given how Palpatine was trained from Plagueis, I doubt that Palpatine planned on sacrificing Maul in favor of Dooku, which means that I doubt he was consciously withholding Force lightning from Maul and half-heartedly training him.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Ok. I forgot about that and was too lazy to go back a page.:p

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Mighella looks more like TCW's Nightsisters than the description given in COPL... interesting.

10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Just missing the red...

11. X-File

X-File Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    From various sources it says that Sidious taught Maul various techniques but Maul preferred to be upfront and close with his prey when he goes in for the kill. He wasnt to big on trickery or deceit. Maul was a full fledged Sith Lord. The thing people fail to remember is that Maul was smarter than people gave him credit for. Even Sidious realized this in Shadow Hunter. Maul would not have been a politician like Dooku but that is the reason Sidious had to change his plans slighlty... I have no doubt Maul could use Force Lightning but chooses to kill up close...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.