main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph NBC's "Revolution"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rosslcopter, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    As interesting as the premise is, I haven't watched it because even those JJ Abrams is one of the producers, Eric Kripke is the other exec producer/creater of the show. As Supernatural showrunner he pretty much fridged every woman and other minor characters not named Sam and Dean in order to fan service the nutty part of the show's fanbase (the part that thinks the show's two leads are having a torrid affair off camera and want to wish harm of their wives and children). Whatever my problems with other shows' handling of their female characters, they're not nearly as bad as Supernatural is. Ergo I refuse to support another show that comes from Kripke, despite Abram's overall decent track record with women characters.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So, this starts in NZ tonight. Do I assume nobody's watching it any more, and I'm better off just watching DVR'd episodes of Top Gear instead?

4. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm still watching it. I think its doing pretty well ratings wise.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm still watching it. I didn't really pay much attention tonight I was looking at houses online with my wife but I dvr'd it. My main gripe with the show is that all the woman are too attractive on the show though. No regular looking people besides the fat dude.

Juliet you should give the show a try. Your hang up on the female thing is kind of thrown out the window with this show. There are several strong lead female roles.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll wait a season and if most of the female leads are still alive at the end of it, I might give it a try.

I'm sorry but Kripke's reputation on how he handled women on Supernatural is a really big hurdle.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Did any of them press charges?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    [​IMG]
    "Producer Kripke: kripp you!"

9. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Its not that there is no power, or golbal power loss, which could happen. Is that electricity, Gasoline and coal no longer seam to function.

You Dont "need" a spark plug to make a gas as an ignition source. And coal and steam engine like what if still found on some ships should still fiction. There seem to be big gaffs in logic.

There sitll seem to be towns in the middle of no where when towns historicly pop up on trade routs roads/rivers or in fertal farm land, which usually occur near water rources like floodplains. Cause the people of "Monerovea" dont seem to be a pastoral sheaperds.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I tried to watch this show for the first time last night. No luck. It's too stupid, and my tastes in entertainment are extremely lowbrow.

11. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Just watched last night's episode. This show is terrible. There are so many bad things about it. Yet...I was sad at the end of the episode, and wanted to watch the next one right away.

I have no idea why, but I'm kind of hooked.

12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Man my post is scatterd, The idea I ment to get across is that there is Branon Braga level breaks in logic.

No Petrol or oil based energy use, you could fry every spark plug, but Gasoline engines wil just need a diffrent ignition source to work.

Middle America bearly existed 100 years ago for a reason, And in a loss of power/support would be as rappedly abandoned as the cities. Towns need to be on travel routs, or some sort of point which resources are harvested or sold. You can't have suburbs with substistance farming, one bad harvest and everything goes to hell in a hand basket. Most guns that are not the AK-47 need a good deal of maintinance, oils and cleaning supplies that would be difficult to get. Things would be all Mad Max for a few years, but not decades in dotal social collapse.

And Cross Bows of modern design are not easily repaired, or recreated/fabricated without electricity, and advanced materials that would be in incredibly difficult to procure. Pikes and spears would be more common than swords. Swords would be more common than Henery Repeating rifles and revolvers. Any gun more advance than a civil war era rifle (breach or muzzle loaded) will be worth its weight in gold.

Advanced forms of gunpowerd will be very rear a Black powder would be more common. Daggers and knives would be prized posession/ heirlooms.

In the end if you want a Schizo tech story, you might a well go full Alternate Earth, or Caprica/Game of Thrones and have it not set on Earth at all.

13. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It's mildly interesting. I watch it mainly for uncle Matheson, and that's because he's similar to Joshua Graham from Fallout: New Vegas. The Civil War-era tech is kind of neat.

EDIT: Though really, I'd much rather watch a Fallout TV series. Closest thing to that is Fallout: Nuka Break (http://www.vtfilms.com/nukabreak/), which is actually pretty cool.

14. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    I like it.

15. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm no expert on gun powder, but I did watch a TV show about the history of bullets a couple years ago and as I recall smokeless gun powder is actually very easy to make and does not require electricity in any way to do so.

16. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    I've been watching, but the acting is terrible on this show. The best actor on the show is Mark Pelligrino, and he stole ever scene he was in b/c everyone else is so bad. I'm still going to watch to see where they are going with this, but the premise doesn't seem like it will hold up long term.

Along with JJ Abrams, Jon Favreau is one of the creators of Revolution and he directed the Pilot.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  17. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I does require an industrial base, i would not call fashoning/machining cartrages and bullets to a very specific calibur/ dimensions to use modern guns "easy". especially without power tools.

or finding and replicating modern or even pre modern smokless powerder formulas.

18. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I couldn't get into it. You know the entire world's electricity is going to shut off and you make a copy of VITAL data 30 seconds before it goes out? You don't stockpile food or water? Come on. The father keeps this vital information to himself as he's dying? There's suspension of disbelief and there's just going one step too far to get me to buy in. They leapt over the chasm on this one.

19. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Posted on the Revolution Facebook page.

20. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    They more or less respected the candian Boarder, but Texas and California nomed off big chunks of Mexico. wait a second! california is stright up expansionist!

21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So the New California Commonwealth comprises a stretch of territory similar to the New California Republic from the Fallout universe. Lol. The Monroe Republic is far larger than I expected, though.

I really can't stop comparing this to Fallout, because that has become my standard for post-apocalyptic fiction that doesn't take science seriously. And Fallout is meant to be campy and off-the-wall, whereas this is apparently supposed to be serious. Is there any compelling reason to watch Episode 5?

22. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    Just because you and I do not know off hand how to create gun powder doesn't mean it would be difficult to find in a book or that someone such as probably all sorts of demolitions people in the military wouldn't know off hand.

As for bullet casings, those can be reused and bullets themselves would be as easy to make as the swords everyone is running around with.

23. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I was In the military, USCG. I wasn't a gunners mate or anyting. but things are very specialized. Most people i ever got to know especially in shared training areas can't operate without the industrial base. No Machinery technitian can build engine parts from scratch, they orderd them. Or fashon parts out of something that was very close. I hung around gunners mates and marine techs no special forces or anything crazy, but I doubt any of them can fashion bullets or gunpower out of nothing but scrap and kitchien chemicals.

I doubt any of them know the formula behind modern gun power, know where to get the raw resource or refine and mix that power form what ever chemicals exists in the wild or in other easy to acquired substances.

But when you look into what it takes to get something from scratch whether it is from a field, mine, or unprocessed plant or animal parts to the end process but a mind boggling amount of energy and time goes into it. And that stuff doesnt happen without an industrial base, and the modern industrial base which all people besides Anachronistic appreciation sociaties and historians rely and learn to use it to do their craft. The military isnt the magical group, most people without direct knowlege of it like (Hollywood writers and producers) seem to think it is.

I haven't read a chart of the coast in years and i would trust myself to lot a course a 47 foot motor life boat and not get it into trouble today, let alone after total industrial and social colapse. Especially one in an area no one is dredging or maintaining aids to navigation.

I am not trying to dis the show, but if they wanted a shizo tech story or show make an alternate reality of have the show take place on another planet like Battle Star Galactica/Caprica or Game of Thrones

24. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    I think you misunderstand me. I do not mean to imply that everyone in the military knows how to make gun powder. I mean to imply that someone does.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  25. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    What does Revolution and Game of Thrones have anything in common or anything to do with?