main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.4 - The Soft War - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Episode 5.4!! The Soft War
    A Confrontation of Kings

[​IMG]

"Struggles often begin and end with the truth."

"After a rebel attempt to rescue Onderon's true king, Ramsis Dendup, an unexpected ally steps forward to halt Dendup's execution and aid the rebel cause."

http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep504/#!/about

The TCW General Discussion Thread (spoilers) will be open to any "official" information discussion, other than the leaked plot info for S5, and any preview/episode clips for the individual episodes (i.e., things like IGN where they give us a 2:00 minute part of the show, often spoiling key scenes).
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...-discussion-thread-spoilers-allowed.20757653/

The S5 discussion thread (Spoilers!) will continue to be the main heavy spoiler thread, including discussion of the video clips for each week's episode. Plot spoilers will continue to be limited to this thread and must still be "spoiler tagged" or black highlighted.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/season-5-major-spoilers-video-clips.50003192/

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Hopefully Hondo shows up in this episode and this episode will be awesome! ( yea i said it again

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    hopefully it will make up for the trash the last three episodes have been. I'm not holding my breath

4. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    It will better be awesome, or i will write a protest letter to Someone!

Seerow likes this.
  5. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    LOL, good luck with that. :p

6. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    you mean they already get 1000 protest letters a day, right?

than i will rent a banner plane and it will fly over the skywalker ranch.

"YOU BETTER MAKE IT AWESOME, MISTER!"

Seerow likes this.
  7. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    :p

8. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    you mean there are already hundreds of banner planes flying 24/7 over Skywalkerranch?

Than i will earn a lot of money by becoming a turbo capitalist. saving all my earnings and buy a ticket from Virgin Galactic. In the orbit i will than open my overall zipper and show my "YOU KNOW I WATCH YOU, MISTER!" T-Shirt. With a bad look into the camera!

9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Remember when someone jokingly speculated on the temps that The Soft War would be part of Padme's arc, based upon a pillow fight? That'd be better than what I expect this will be. They've really done their best to screw this arc up in every way, haven't they?

Also Saw looks like Barriss in the preview pick.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wow, that was my first thought too![face_laugh]

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I want to see Kalanni kicking some rebel butt!

12. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This better make up for the waste and stalling that were the last two episodes. And I hope they do something original other than droid poppers...

And is it me or the plot reminds of the episode "Prisoners" from S4?!

13. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Yes. Training, infiltration and possible kidnapping of the CIS installed new King.

It seems they just changed the location, characternames and some details like used weapons. 50% is the same plot as in Prisoners, the box, crisis on naboo.

Moralo Eval, Raco Hardeen, Cad BANE. Being replaced by Lux, Ahsoka and Steela...pathetic.

14. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    My main problem with this arc is that the planet and society of Onderon is so bland and generic. There is nothing so far that makes it unique, it feels so soulless. When they decide to have 4 episodes take place in the same location they should try harder to make it visually interesting to look at. Zygerria, Mandalore and Umbara are so much better locations it’s difficult to believe it’s the same team of designers. The story and action has been pretty good so far, but I’m burned out on going to Onderon each week, it’s not visually appealing at all.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    The location is very good. Its a jungle world and they even animated the palm trees with wind. All those reptiles running around is great and Izis (The depth of it) looked also great. Maybe they should have added a huge waterfall (like niagara falls) in the jungle. Water (and its sound) is missing in this dry jungle. Than the secenery would be epic. All those huge animals and beasts need water. Huge amounts of Water. Where is it?

16. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    This is EXACTLY my problem with the series! In Season 1 I might have been OK with this sort of generic stuff. But the CW team has shown they're capable of pushing the creativity boundary and move into more morally-ambiguous plots. Part of me (the lesser half) is still holding out that there's some sort of ingenious plot twist in the works that will be revealed in the last episode.

17. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003

I’m satisfied with the show in general, but this storyline is as barebones as they come. They have the Skeleton of a good story, but they lack the meatier parts that makes it truly memorable. It’s not bad, I enjoyed the first two parts, but it’s just a bit to empty for my taste. I think the TCW team asks a lot of its audience when they expect us to be invested in this mostly unfamiliar group of nobodies for 4 weeks in a row, especially when there is so little depth to the situation and location. I’m really glad they decided to open the season with “Revival”.

18. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Let the speculation begin! lol jk

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Just not sure what we're supposed to be impressed with in this series, other than the Jedi robes, which Saw is now wearing. :(

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    There was no society on Umbara, That arc was so bland/ repetitive in terms of locations and characters... Zygerria I get and even Mandalore but there was nothing on Umbara other than moving targets that glowed like morons. I think in terms of arcs so far I am more entertained by Onderon than Umbara.

Onderon is a gorgeous world and is much better than Mandalore cause it does not have the same issues that people face when watching Mandalorian episodes.
    Mandalore can also be pretty bland but the thing it is called Mandalore. If it was any other planet people would not be so interested in Satine's world.
    The problem with the arc is that it does not take advantage of the environment and setting and history. Onderon is one of the most rich in terms of history planets and the show has not even glanced at the rich layers that could be explored.
    It just focuses on filler scenes to stall for time.

The thing Barriss is the genius S1 had many and I do mean MANY worlds in itself and it did explore each of them.
    When we went the Lurmen, they explored them as well and not just the main heroes like on Onderon. When we visited in S1 Orto Plutonia, we explored the Talz and their society.
    That does not happen anymore.
    In S4 and S5 so far the explored worlds are not really explored but only serve as backdrops for the lame main cast.

21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Well, Onderon seems horribly inbred with how a small crowd of individuals can still be comprised of the same three or four identical individuals over and over again. I understand that the team doesn't have unlimited resources to flesh out an entire city worth of people, but I would have thought that they would recognize their limitations and that if they can't diversify a crowd, then do not attempt to do a crowd (unless it's like on Mandalore where they can cut corners on a distant crowd to make it look huge). I think the first two episodes of this arc could have been smashed together. Spend less time on the training of how to take out a tank and transition right from them being trained to them taking out the generator. All the time spent on Ahsoka's sideways glances at Lux haven't gone anywhere.

Take an episode like Children of the Force and how many different locations they could go to in that 22 minutes. When I watch that episode it feels much longer than it actually is. They made very good use of their time with that episode and moved things right along IMO. Even with Umbara, as much as I liked that arc, I was ready for it to end by its conclusion because I wanted to go somewhere else that wasn't Umbara yet again. Even the films never dwelled on one locale for so long.

I don't hate the Onderon arc, but right now it is progressing too slow and not making good use of screen time and is having the boredom of staying in one location for too long is starting to set it a little sooner than it did for Umbara (IMO) because of it.

22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes!

Agreed.

The problem with current arcs is that TCW crew forgets to move to a new local and we are forced to watch the same boring things over and over...

23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Saw made me think of Assassin's Creed when I saw him with the robe.

Spazmatron likes this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, that has been a major issue -- Season 1 was not afraid to test new ground, and didn't mind exploring all the different cultures and planets. While we still see that sometimes, things have become a lot more politicized. And the issue with that is the show's writers know they can't make things overly complicated since it's a kid's show, so it seems they're resorting to simplistic two-dimensional, hero/villain plots.

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    For a second when Saw was running around killing battle droids, I thought it was Anakin riffing on AC. I'd love it if they ninjafied the Jedi a bit.

I still love the sneak attack in Defenders of Peace from S1. :)