main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bespin Short animation

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by devine999, Oct 18, 2012.

1. devine999

devine999 Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2011

A short I;m working on, sorry tried to post this in fan films, but the link was dead

2. devine999

devine999 Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2011
    forgot to mention, watch in 720 if you can

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    hey man you posted this in the wrong place. it was pretty cool though, felt like an intro to a rogue squadron level.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, wrong forum, but I will say this is one of the better fan short films I've seen.

5. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    CG work is pretty good, but it feels really rough, more like an VFX reel than a short film.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I was going to critique this CG wise, because there's a lot to critique on it...but then I realized you might be someone in the industry and I don't really want to step on your toes. Are you someone important?

JoinTheSchwarz and jp-30 like this.
  7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    WDND... eh. Whatever.

Hi.

Master_Jacen likes this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    For someone in the films business, one would expect you to know about the edit button.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Don't quote yourself and make an addendum.

jp-30 likes this.
  10. devine999

devine999 Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2011
    I'm not important, but I've been doing 3d for a wile. The whole thing took about 1 week. Its very rough. clouds need a lot of work and there are a few render probs. Got work coming in so can't fix it at this stage, thought I would just get it out there. thanks for the feed back guys. Which forum do I put this in? the fan film one seemed to be down

11. devine999

devine999 Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2011
    I dont use forums much

12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Good vid though. I know nothing about making this stuff, but I imagine skill was involved.

13. devine999

devine999 Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2011
    I'm getting the hang of it now ;)

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    maybe the star wars community forum. this is like the one forum on the site where we don't talk about star wars. i think a mod can probably just move this thread.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The forums were upgraded, some boards consolidated, so if you had the old forum bookmarked, yeah, it won't work.

Try here: http://boards.theforce.net/forums/fan-films-fan-audio-scifi-3d.10015/

Master_Jacen and devine999 like this.
  16. devine999

devine999 Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2011
    Hey all
    A short I'm working on. Very rough around the edges and needs more work, but I have to get back to paying jobs :(
    will get back to it sometime soon I hope.

its rendered for 720 hd in you tube.

17. devine999

devine999 Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2011
    done, thanks

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Don't be a stranger.

devine999 likes this.
  19. devine999

devine999 Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2011
    in that case, here is my demo reel

20. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Oh well allow me to proceed with my critique then. If it's harsh, I don't mean it in a "you suck" way

- The models look really unfinished. More detail. The ships all look like you threw a diffuse map on them and called it a day - work on your spec and your displace/bmp etc. I'm not sure what renderer you're using for this, looks like mental ray or default maya. There's a lot more you can get out of your materials though. And your lighting. The models look 30% complete overall.
    - The integration as well as scale of everything is kind of weird. Have you tried using fog for clouds? Again, not sure what renderer you're using but there's some options for fog in both MR and vray that you could mess around with. The weird stretching on the images of clouds is odd.
    -Atmosphere. This is kind of like the last one but more of a compositing thing. If you work on your lighting more, mess with some more DOF, I dunno....something. Mess around in Nuke.
    - I'm not an effects person so I can't really talk on the explosions and that part.

Overall though it just looks like you jumped on every stage at once rather than taking it one step at a time. Get your models solid first, then move on. No reason to rush the whole thing, otherwise it will just look...rushed.

devine999 likes this.
  21. devine999

devine999 Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2011
    not enough time. I only spent a week on it, then had to get back to work. If I was getting paid for it I would have spent a lot more time on it.
    You right on all points there I feel...maybe one day when I get some time.
    Paying work always is the priority unfortunately. I'm using lightwave for everything. I have a small render farm too. not very big.
    For paid work I use Fry render. But for this I had to slide it in when the machines were free and use lightwaves render engine.
    All Feed back is good. When your looking at this stuff for too long you miss things.
    When I was watching the renders come out I though...mmm, I could fix that, but I just had to let things be.
    My next adventure is Synth Eyes with lightwave and fry render.
    gota follow that money....:(

22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Aww, you set it during the New Republic era but you didn't include any of the new ships? Should at least have the E-wing...maybe in the next segment?

devine999 likes this.
  23. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Are you using this short film to show off your VFX skills or are really trying to make a narrative short film?

24. devine999

devine999 Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2011
    just for fun, not showing anything off. Demo reel is for that. Was just having some fun really. Blowing up Tie Fighters never gets old. Pretty much like playing with lego
    would like to do a narrative one day, but would spend more time on it. I really just made the story up after I did some action shots

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Moving to FanFilms.