main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Vader's screaming

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by skywalkerz, Mar 13, 2012.

1. skywalkerz

skywalkerz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2005
    Hiw did you feel about Vader yelling "I HATE YOU!!" at obi wan. It horrified and sicken the hell outta me just hearing it over and over again.

Well not all the time I guess.

I didn't like how it was used in the Jedi Academy hack, movie battles.

Your feedback please.

2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Its a sad thing to hear for sure, especially since obi wan responded with "You were my brother Anakin, I loved you!"

Order66Survivor likes this.
  3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    To think that Anakin would go from "Obi-Wan! May the Force be with you." to "I hate you!" is quite depressing, really - especially considering how quickly he got there.
    The immolation scene is one of the most heartwrenching moments in the history of cinema, if you ask me.

Hearts - they are wrenched
    /LM

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    In an earlier draft of the script, Anakin first begs Obi-Wan to help him, somewhat pathetically - I think it may have worked better if they'd kept that in, although I don't think it was ever shot. As the "I hate you!" line stands now, it sounds like Anakin is just going crazy, regardless of what Obi-Wan is saying to him, whereas if it followed Obi-Wan's refusal of help, it might come across as the very final step over the edge.

A very subtle difference, and mightn't have worked, but there you go. The immolation scene still works fine as it is.

SlashMan likes this.
  5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    They did shoot that, but I'm glad it was omitted. The scene is just perfect the way it is.

Omission happens
    /LM

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't. Not only it would show even more weakness to the character, but it would work very well with what Vader says in ANH: "When I left you, I was but the learner." In that case, it wasn't Vader who had left, but Obi-Wan, for not helping him.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, well, I don't think the line "When I left you, I was but the learner" really fits what happened in the final film regardless, largely because it was intended for a totally different storyline, but that's one for the Saga forum.

IIRC, the context of Anakin begging for help wasn't meant for him to be sincere anyway, he was meant to be more like a rat in a trap, who would still have tried to kill Obi-Wan with whatever energy he had left, had Obi-Wan helped him. I just found it kind of interesting, but like I said, it still mightn't have worked. Would it have made him more human or more slimy? Would either of those alternatives have made things better or worse?

8. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    I don't think it would have worked. For one, it would have been out of character for Anakin. He is so proud, and he has refused to ask Obi-wan's help for anything. Even insincerely, I don't think he would have asked his old master to save his life. He was too far gone, consumed by hatred.

Secondly, it would have been out of character for Obi-wan to leave him there. As angry and saddened with Anakin's actions as Obi-wan might have been, he still felt a strong connection to him. He pleaded with Yoda not to send him, he didn't intervene on Mustafar until Anakin started threatening Padme ("Don't you turn against me"), and he didn't finish Anakin off even as he lay burning. I think if there was any admission of remorse, of sorrow, or of weakness or any sign that the "boy he trained" still existed, then Obi-wan would have pulled him from the fire and taken him to the medical facility to recover (medically and spiritually). Potentially, he would have used Anakin as a weapon to eventually bring down Palpatine the way he tried to use Luke.

I think the scene is perfect the way it is. I would love to see more dialogue during the actual duel, though.

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I read the scene with Dooku also had him begging for his life originally but Christopher Lee convince Lucas to leave that out. I think he was right, it's out of character for the Sith to ask for mercy from their mortal enemies.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Darth Maul no longer agrees with you.;)

As for "I hate you!", I always found it a little jarring after "This is the end for you, my massster." Maybe that was G.Walton's intention all along....

11. kameron b

kameron b Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    i love lucas and the original trilogy and parts of the prequels. however. I felt like at time ROTS is just plain laughable because the acting is so bad. I'm mainly talking about the scene with palpatine and mace windu. omg soooo bad!!!!!!!!! what happened to ROTJ emperor? But the fight sequence is still great. In my opinion they should have cast a stronger actor for anakin. he ruins some parts for me. ex. "i hate you", "what have I done?" "you turned her against me." It feels like a soap opera with really bad acting. Im not saying that make the movies unwatchable. but episode 3 is pretty close.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It was terrific, really captured the moment after the fight ended

13. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I remember picking up a copy of the ROTS novelization at the store a week or so before I saw the movie, and while flipping through it I briefly read "I HATE YOU"! Screamed Darth Vader (or something like that). I imagined in my head how I thought that scene would play out in the movie. Yet, NOTHING prepared me for when I actually saw that scene in the film. It was terrifying. I mean, he doesn't just yell it, he ROARS it almost.

Very emotional scene and Ewan and Hayden were really good in it, IMO.

14. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I loved the scene, I thought it was done well.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I totally agree. I thought that "I HATE YOU!" was just chilling, and was more heartwrenching when followed by Obi-Wan's "I loved you, Anakin, you were my brother." As said above, all of the Immolation scene was excellent and was very heartwrenching.

16. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I think somebody is justified in hating someone when they just chopped three of your limbs off and dumped you on some lava.

Order66Survivor and -NaTaLie- like this.
  17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Eh, it's not like Anakin didn't deserve it - in a sense. Great Force, the two were fighting - there was going to be delimbing or death almost certainly. It happened to be Anakin that was delimbed.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Also, great music! One of the four or five musical themes in ROTS I really like.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed, the music was great too. Just listening to the music from that scene by itself brings back the same sad feeling.

20. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    It's a good scene. I particularly like when, at the moment when Anakin is about to be dismembered, the music goes from triumphant to kind of off-key. It really re-enforces that things are going wrong and gives you a sense of loss afterwards. The music in the scene is generally good, and I think the performances from Hayden and Ewan were spot-on. Anakin really seems gone at this point, it feels appropriate when Sidious - the devil - arrives to salvage him from hell.

21. Jeanine Berry

Jeanine Berry Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2012
    It was heartbreaking, but extremely intense at the same time. Hayden was the bomb, he hit it home with the emotions. And Obi Wan shouting out how much he loved Anakin didn't help matters.

22. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    It was a very intense scene, with dramatic and sad music in the background. The dialogue may have been kind of cheesy and cliche and done so many times, an angry guy screaming he hates someone else, but it worked during that scene.

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

Why Maul would be the first to do is beyond me. He's more of a Sith than the other two could ever dream of being.

24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Or it might have made Obi-Wan look completely heartless. The final version works great.

minnishe likes this.
  25. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Agreed. "You were my brother Anakin! You were the Chosen One! It was said you would destroy the Sith not join them!"
    "I HATE YOU!!!!!!!"
    "I have failed you, Anakin..."
    or something along the lines of that. Maybe not exact...