main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Palpatine keep anakin alive on Mustafar?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I had a theory. Palpatine told anakin skywalker that the sith have the power to save people from death, and that was the very power he used to bring anakin over to the dark-side with, a desire to save his wife from dying giving birth to luke and leia. At the end of revenge of the sith, the only reason that he survived hours after being burned in the lava, and he could breathe, is because the emperor sensed his distress and tapped into the darkside to keep his apprentice alive before he could rescue him and give him the famous robotic suit. The suit was not only there so Anakin could walk, but also so he could breathe through the Vader asthmatic breathing.

Is my theory true? Did the Emperor keep Vader alive the time he lay on the lava river, burned?

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Shrugs. Possibly.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The Sith Lord lowered the limbless man tenderly to the cool ground above, and laid his hand across the cracked and blackened mess that once had been his brow, and he set his will upon him.
    Live, Lord Vader. Live, my apprentice.
    Live.

4. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    That's the novel's explanation, certainly. Not in the movies. (I'm only saying, not dismissing.)

5. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    There's also a reference in Dark Lord that said Palpatine used his powers ( among other things ) to keep Anakin alive during the return trip.

6. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Interesting novel quote, but in the movie, what? Palpatine rolls up and puts Anakin/Vader into a medical box. I don't consider that dark side healing.

7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    He did a reversal on the move old Ben Kenobi used to wake up the unconscious Luke during their fateful meeting after the Tusken Raiders fled. Another visual mirror by Lucas.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The film shows him doing what is described in the quote, or at least the same motions.

9. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Yeah I have to agree with you I haven't seen it in awhile but I do remember Sidious doing something subtle to Anakin.

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    He laid a hand on Anakin.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I think Anakin was slowly dying because his lungs were damaged on Mustafar, and he would have died if Palpatine came only several minutes later. He died about 10-15 minutes after palpatine force lightning-ed him in episode 6. The life support suit kept him alive, and kind of like freezed, or stopped, the process of Vader dying. When it was damaged, the process started again and contiuned, which is my theory for my darth vader died in Jedi.

But I do think that the Emperor used the darkside of the Force to keep him alive/sustain him during the time between his immolation and getting the robot suit, because him arriving a few minutes. It seemed a coincidence that he arrived that soon to rescue Vader.

13. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I'm pretty sure that Sidious had a premonition of Anakin in dying or at least in danger. If i remember correctly He said I sense Lord Vader in danger thus was able to get to Mustafar in time to save him.

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Nah, Vader's hate kept him alive (like Maul) until he was put into the capsule and then "fixed" by the med center.

15. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I like to think he did,

I even like to think he did it in a moment of compassion for the lad as one dimensional villains bore me

I also should make that thread on why I think Palpatine isn't 100 percent pure evil :p

16. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    There is good in him i know it:p

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Palpatine is an interesting villian in the topic of motives. Kind of dumb and dumber, vader and palpatine is a case of evil and eviler. Darth Vader, in the begging, had a lot of problems with him, his desire for more status and recognition amongst the Jedi order, a distrust of the jedi because of his forbidden relationship with Padme, he was arrogant, he had a fear of losing people close to him, like his mother, for instance, who the raiders killed when they attacked her village. He wanted and needed attachments so he fell in love with princess Amidala.

He was close friends with Palpatine, didn't like that he wasn't given the title of a master by the council, he felt that obi wan and the jedi council didn't trust him and were holding him back,

Anakin's main motivation was to save his wife, the only real goal he had when turning to the darkside, in the beggining. Later on he became power-hungry, but that was not his original intent. In the beggining, it was a combination of factors, that, put together, led to his turn to the darkside. The Jedi didn't trust Anakin because they knew his future was clouded, which was exactly that- Palpatine could manipulate him into saving his wife. Without the contributing factors-distrust of Jedi and not being a master, friendship with palpatine, I don't think he would have turned to the darkside to save his wife. Everything put together, all the circumstances combined, led to what happened. If anakin never became friends with palpatine and distrusted the Jedi, he never would have turned to the darkside.

He helped the emperor kill Mace windu when the jedi went to go arrest him. Anakin was upset that windu broke the jedi code, but, most of all, he needed Palpatine alive to save Padme, so he cut off windu's hand, and when the emperor zapped him with lightning, he fell down the city streets. Anakin wanted to keep windu alive, he regretted what he had done a lot, but at that moment, he gave in to his desperation and fears and succumbed to the dark-side because he wanted the emperor to help him save his wife. In a matter of seconds, he turned from Jedi to Sith, so he could save his wife. He was too emotionally weak and grief-stricken by what he had done-he was knighted a sith. The fact that he said "just help me save padme's life", showed that that was the only reason he turned against the jedi. He truly was loyal to the Jedi.

I think there may have been a guilt factor of betraying the Jedi that affected him, into joining the Emperor. At that moment, he decided that he had to save padme, so he had a ritual that kind of baptized him in the darkside. The reason he changed so quickly, is because, the darkside if a corrupting power that can change people and control them, He was consumed in the darkside, and later on, got became a typical power-hungry villain. He originally turned evil to save his wife, but later on, his evil became more of a chaotic evil. He wanted to rule the galaxy as a dictator, and still save her, but he got other ideas along with that too. When she died, he had nothing else to live for, so, already a sith, he decided to be a pure evil type villain, partially out of grief and madness. That is, until, his son convinced him to turn against the sith and be the jedi he once was. He still had the good within himself. He just needed to set himself free. When Palpatine tortured his son, he decided he had no reason to stay on the darkside anymore, so his soul was freed and he turned against the Emperor.

Palpatine, on the other hand, no doubt about it, is purely evil. George Lucas made him symbolic of the devil. The actor who played him said he can't be redeemed. He's not a literal demon or fallen angel, but his role in the story and character has the same elements of the devil. I usually dislike villains who are evil for the sake of being evil, but if there are other villains with complex motives, a pure evil villain could very well work, and make it more interesting. Palpatine never turned to evil to save anyone. He was pure evil, can't be redeemed. I think that is far from poor characterization, it's pure awesome-ness, because it shows us how a big fearsome villian like darth vader, is just a guy who made some bad choices out of desperation, being tempted by a far greater, purer, devilish evil. The emperor tempted Luke too. Darth vader's story has all the symbolism of Faust- a man (anakin), makes a deal with the devil (palpatine- a symbol of pure evil who tempts and can grant powers and wishes and lies-all of which happened), to get a goal (wishes come true/save someone's life), and there were ways that they could turn away from darkness back to light, and he descends to hell, which is the lava planet of Mustafar which results in him getting the famous robot suit. It's basically a faust story told in outer space. Palpatine having good in him is a cool idea, but it ruins anakin's character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.