main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #1: In the Shadow of Yavin, Part 1 (of 6, not 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Meh, still yawning over such an unoriginal and rehashed concept. Giving it a fancy cover and the vaguely generic "anything might happen!" tagline just seems like a weak attempt to spice up something that we've seen countless times before.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I still wonder if they're giving us this new comic series on the Big Three set directly after ANH to console us on the Big Three leaving the story chronologically in CRUCIBLE...

But yeah, great cover, though Luke and Leia's eyes seem... I'm not sure, but they seem really wide or something.

3. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    They are? Last I looked they were exchanging recipes for sausage...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Wedge before RotJ again. Not that I have anything against Wedge-the-general, but Wedge-the-humble-pilot is a different thing entirely. And great to know that Woods says he's read basically all of the older EU... I think a background like that is completely different from having to pore through stuff just to find out if your own ideas don't conflict with anything.

This is going to be good.

instantdeath likes this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Eh, I'd argue that quality of writing trumps premise in most cases, at least when it comes to a shared universe setting. So, while we have indeed seen plenty of Rebellion era material (though we still have not seen, I would argue, any attempt at a solid cohesive ongoing narrative, though given DHC's recent track record, I doubt this will last long enough to become one). In other words, I feel that this franchise almost thrives on taking the familiar and twisting it on its head. Mindor, on premise alone, is another Warlord of the Week story. I actually think the best possible option for this franchise is to have a mix of things like this, and "charting new ground" material, such as DOTJ.

Obviously I can't vouch for the writing in this particular comic series, but I do feel it has potential beyond its mere concept.

5. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    What is interesting that we now have a solicitation for the first issue, and still we don't know anything of what there's going to happen in the series.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Anything!

7. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I hope against hope that Wedge will be Awesome Wedge, and not weird Wedge from "Lucky"...

8. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Jaxxon?

9. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Wut

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...isn't he?

Ulicus likes this.
  11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Not to the Empire, he killed the Emperor. :p

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Rebel propaganda.

Ulicus likes this.
  13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I don't see myself buying this series. Time will tell.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The nice thing about trade-waiting - you get to monitor developments before buying!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    He seems to be using the X-Wing novels as a template for Wedge, so I wouldn't really worry about that.

16. Mackinder-Brzezinski

Mackinder-Brzezinski Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    I really wonder if anybody from Empire/Rebellion is going to show up in this series.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Assume not.

18. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Don't follow, what does this mean?

That would be really fantastic. Some "Wedge after Yavin," "Wedge as Luke's close squadmate," and "Wedge fresh Rebel recruit" would be excellent. "Wedge who lost a girlfriend no one ever talked about and doesn't fit into any tonal narrative of his background" - not so much.

I would love to see Captain Dantels again, but I agree with Coop - it's highly unlikely, given that this is supposed to be an entry point, not a callback to other things.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Eh, there's more room for references in an "entry point" series than we may be giving it credit for. It's not like there's a lot of complicated backstory for Dantels; you can just introduce her as "Leia's bodyguard/sidekick" and nobody picking this up for the first time would have any idea she's not just another original supporting character. There's a lot of that kind of thing that can be done. New readers can't tell any difference between OC Wally the Wonder Pilot and Kit Valent. They don't know the difference between Leia's friend Julie and Leia's friend Winter. As long as you don't have a complex backstory that's necessary to understand the character, or an ongoing narrative around that character, there's nothing keeping the character from being "accessible" to the new reader.

20. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm actually looking forward to this. I haven't bought a Star Wars comics since the early issues of Legacy. Don't think I'll actually go to a comic store and buy a straight issue, but I'll definitly comixology it and try it out. Brain does good work, and it really seems like DH wants this to be a true expansion of the franchise in terms of catching the casual readers. I hope it isn't bogged down by continuity and Brian has the freedom, or atleast some, to do what he wants without worrying about running into continuity issues everywhere.

I would be nice to a have a fresh take on what happened after ANH. The old stories will always be there to those who want to read them, let this be something free and new that doesn't scare off those who just want to read a good comic book.

21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't get the argument that continuity will scare people off. Whenever I see something tied to something older I want to look it up and find out about it be it online or in other books

22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    That's you, and I'm the same way, but you and I aren't everyone else.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't get how "comixology" is a verb all of a sudden.

24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    A few preview pages over at the Nerdist.

Looks good so far, though it seems kinda odd that a [Army?] Colonel would be given command of an Imperial Navy ship...

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Not sure how that tracks with the existing status of the Devastator, but it's heartening to see that literally the second word of text we see from this series is "Kuat".