main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthXan318, Sep 3, 2012.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Cool! I look forward to playing GW2 with you guys! :D

I'm playing as an Asura Necromancer, which is so awesome! I always liked being a Necromancer but being small and cute adds a lot more fun to it. It's on the same level as a Sylvari Pyromancer but in a different way. :cool:

Oh, and before I forget, where can I get a new hatchet for my Asura? I've checked with all the traders near the starting point but nothing there.

hunter77: what's your username?

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I have just kicked the Shatterers ass

That is all

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm looking at maybe picking Guild Wars up. How is it compared to WOW? I was super into wow for 5 years and to be honest it kind of made my wife mad on how much I played it. Is this a game you can play for an hour or so ever couple days or is this gonna suck me in like WOW did?

4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    It can suck you in if you let it but you can also level at your own pace and take your time.

I've hammered it since release and have only just broken lvl 60 and still not completed any dungeons, if I'm short on time though I can usually pop on and blast through a renown heart and clear a POI and Vista.

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    How do you get to the Vistas? I think I can see where I need to go but I can't get to them. I'm in the starting area for the Asura at the moment.

6. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    The Vistas can be really tricky... some general hints:

- Look for parts of the environment that you can jump on - for example a box that just happens to be propped up against a wall, or a bit of rubble
    - A lot of slopes that look too steep to be jumped on, can be jumped on
    - The 'starting point' for a vista climb isn't necessarily anywhere near the vista itself (although the ones in starting areas tend to be easier to find) but once you have it the rest of it is usually straightforward
    - Running faster makes you jump farther: this means Swiftness is very helpful (or can screw you up, if you're not used to it and then overjump)
    - if all else fails, YouTube can help you

Unfortunately I haven't 100% the Asura starting zone so can't offer anything more specific, but I've made a hobby of collecting vistas and that's generally the gist of it.

Rox: it's very different from WoW! I think though you can definitely pace yourself, without feeling like you're missing anything, which was the critical thing WoW was missing, IMHO. When I was playing WoW I felt it was the kind of game where you needed to play for long stretches at a time if you wanted to do anything - an instance takes 2+ hours, a raid session is 4+ hours, you can sink the entire day into a PVP grind if you're running with a premade - and if you didn't want to do that, well, there was nothing very much to do because the rest of the game felt like it just sort of funnelled you to Endgame Content. But there's so much to do in GW2 it's amazing. I'm having a blast in GW2 just levelling to 80... in fact I'm sort of dragging my heels on levelling to 80 because the final three zones are depressing, and I'd rather explore the Norn starting zone or something.

7. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    There are no raids in Guild Wars right? I think raiding was my biggest downfall. I main tanked for a guild so I was always looking for the best gear and farming all the time. I'm just looking for a game I can kind of play and chill in. If I need to walk away or turn the game off I can. Playing on my own is a big thing.

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I play on my own because I prefer it that way. There are daily events that can require a lot of people to do but it's more 'oh look, an event, I'll take part' and there'll be other players taking part too. It's more an 'if you happen to be in the area' type thing.

There is the World Vs World thing which seems pretty nifty. Not done it yet though so I don't know what it's like or what it does.

9. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    World vs World is kind of like a three way Alterac Valley played over four maps that persists for two weeks.

... So okay, kind of not very like AV. :p But it's the closest analogy I can think of. Maybe it's also a bit like world PvP in the later years of WoW but the maps are queued.

No raids that I've seen, no. Raiding was my downfall as well so I know what you mean- I wasn't main tank, but I got a little crazy trying to stay consistently top of meters.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Hey guys! Any talk/existence of a games forum guild?

My account is Cadarn.8954, generally playing my warrior, Connor Dravnonia.

11. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I was just gonna ask if there was a JC guild. I'm installing it now.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'd be happy to start one if there isn't one already. DarthXan318 might know as he started this thread.

13. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I'm not a guy, moosemousse. ;)

I'm in an Oceanic guild at the moment (as I'm in Australia) but would be happy to try organise something. Can you do cross-realm guilds? I can't remember if they fixed guesting?

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    :oops: My bad, sorry!

I've not tried guesting, or actually forming a party with anyone, so I don't actually know how that works. I'll have to have a look into it though.

15. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
  16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  17. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Finally hit 80! :D

18. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    you know what Tor needs? sexy armor sets!

Yahtzee said the game was akin to a theme park, and I agree. Theme parks are pretty fun! But the personal story is such a pain in the butt! destroyer crabs eat Elementalists alive! I have more fun in the "World" rather than on the personal story. As for no raids...the freaking dungeons are as hard as a raid. I dont believe they need them.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ugh, no. No game needs 'sexy' armour. I like my armour sets in games to be functional and practical with as little difference between male and female armour as possible. I hate to use words like 'sexist' but when men wander around looking like tanks and women are wearing nowt but a metal bikini you just know something is a little wrong there.

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Agreed, my thief is always fully covered and only shows her briefs when she's been killed a few times too many

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

21. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009

I thought Sateele Shan's outfit was sexy I think you can be sexy without being sexists. I think my avatar sexy without being sexist

and the Leia from force unleashed 2.

Yes? no?

22. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    No.

Well: let me put it this way. If you make it so male characters can only wear speedos, you can have women in metal bikinis. Fair is fair. (GW2 does this better than most other games, funnily enough: there is an incredibly revealing set of male heavy armor that basically covers legs and arms but not the back or torso.)

Also, if your elementalist is getting owned by destroyer crabs, it's because you're relying too much on fire (I did this too, at first). Try swapping elements and kiting - Earth on the staff in particular does a hell of a lot of damage, and Water/Lightning have good slowing options.

23. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I was thinking more of the JRPG males, I actually Like the Male (Well unisex) Black hole set for Consulars, he is buff might as well show off his build.

I am around 67, I am doing the 66 story mode, I have full Arcane, and 20 in fire and 5 in earth and 5 in water, but I use mostyly earth and lighning against Fire crabs. They just swarm me and i get overloaded...and the helper npcs. lets just say they got nothing on companions.

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Right, I've been lvl 80 for a while and just have the Dragon to do in before the main game is complete then I can prat about with all the other dungeons.

Just completed the lost shore add on as well, reasonable loot, nice new zone but the missions in total have cost in excess of 60 silver in repair fees. Some serious farming is in my future I think.

25. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Username: hedix.1986
    Server: Gunnar's Hold
    Character: Human Elementalist (Adrriene)

I just started a few days ago. Got the game from my uni friends (all dispersed across the world now) so that we can hang out online. *nerrrdy*
    Looks very interesting, holds my attention much more than other MMOs ever did. The graphics is lovely, I love the powers and the crafting system seems pretty neat.