main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, Uprising, Legacy & Ares

Discussion in 'Community' started by edgejedi88, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Too bad it didn't have its own panel at Comic-con this year, but at least nice to see more stuff from it. I'm not that interested in it as it is a prequel to Legacy, so we have a decent idea of how its going to end (although if Uprising set up threads for post-Legacy movies that would be nice, but I wouldn't hope for that much). Mostly its just nice to see the Tron franchise hasn't completely died down after Legacy.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It probably depends on how much Tron 3 will be based on any outlines by the director/writers of Legacy/Uprising. We know they want to set up characters that were only briefly mentioned or seen in Legacy (Beck is presumably "the sympathetic program" that smuggles Quorra out during the purge, and they've already mentioned wanting to show where Bartik got his facial scar from), so threads for Tron 3 are possible.

However, given they may not have locked down an actual direction to take a sequel in yet at the time they wrote the series, any threads may just end up being retroactive (ie: Tron 3 referencing stuff from Uprising as opposed to Uprising setting up stuff in Tron 3).

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Boxleitner updates on Tron 3

"Asked about his exact role on the animated series, Boxleitner happily replied, "Who else would I be? I'm Tron. It's going to be on my gravestone, 'He was Tron.'""

[face_laugh]

Looks like Bruce anticipates them aiming for 2014, after the director finishes his current project (though it's a shame the same writers are unable to be involved due to the success of Once Upon a Time- I would have preferred that consistent voice to hopefully help recapture what made Legacy so amazing).

I also didn't realize that Legacy was the highest grossing debut film in history.

Lastly, Tronp: Japanese Tron Musical :cool:

4. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    It's about time we've heard something on the third Tron. I was beginning to think that they decided against doing one.

I think it's interesting that Bruce says ?['TRON: Legacy] actually started the next movie and then went to black." [face_thinking]

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wasn't too concerned about the slow amount of news- I think it's pretty obvious Disney is waiting to see how well Uprising does. If Uprising does well, then it's clear their franchise building efforts were successful and they can push more aggressively with Tron 3, if Uprising does only ok, then they'll probably be more leisurely about the Tron series.

6. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I haven't been following Tron news much, as it really is slow, but glad to hear some news, and encouraging news at that. As long as the franchise isn't dead, that's good, now just got to remember to watch Disney again, not much good on their stations anymore.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't watched it with an regularity, but I think Disney XD is the one that has more action-related stuff like the Marvel shows, which might make it a bit more bareable than the typical Disney fare found on their regular station.

Also, it looks like Oblivion, directed by Legacy's director, was moved up next year a couple months in release, so that's another factor coming into play earlier that might help get Legacy rolling quicker.

8. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    I highly doubt "Uprising" is going to determine the production of T3, in fact, the opposite, the series would've been scrapped if they weren't continuing the series.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The series was already in development (and far enough along for a teaser trailer) while the film was still in theaters and hadn't even broken even domestically yet. Unlike a lot of other movies (like John Carter, for example), a lot of the marketing costs associated with Legacy were justified versus the box office due to the franchise building they were doing with extrafilm content- the toys, elecTRONica, Uprising, etc.

If those didn't perform, it would reflect poorly on Legacy's sequel chances beyond the film itself.

But, the toys sold very well, elecTRONica apparently did well and if Disney can tap the 3-10 year olds with Uprising that shows like The Clone Wars have, on top of the expanded audience of the film itself from the great video sales, the sequel will have an even larger built-in audience to build off of. They'll be more inclined to go "let's try to vash in on this momentum sooner rather than later".

On the flipside, if Uprising doesn't do well, Disney may see that as disinterest in the property and not be a rush to push for a sequel (especially with the changing of execs in power at the Mouse House following the Mars Needs Moms & John Carter debacles- in other words, those that previously favored Tron might no longer be around).

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Could Jeff Bridges be in Tron 3 after all?

Even though Tron Legacy wasn't the massive blockbuster hit Disney expected, it did make enough money to warrant Tron 3. So what happens next? While at WonderCon promoting their television show Once Upon A Time, Tron Legacy scribes Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz dropped a few hints for Tron 3.

Spoilers ahead...

From the Once Upon A Time roundtables:

After the experience of working on Tron: Legacy, it seems like the movie did well, and made money. But maybe it didn't quite do well enough to get its own sequel. But it did well enough to get its own cartoon series, is that frustrating at all?

Adam Horowitz: We are working on a sequel. Eddie and I aren't writing the sequel ? because of the show [Once Upon a Time] we've moved to be co-producers on it. But there's a script being written right now.

Edward Kitsis: Dave DiGilio is writing it. Joe [Kosinski] is right now shooting Oblivion but we've had a lot of meetings and conversations and we've sen the first draft of the Tron sequel, sometimes movies don't happen as quickly as you want... Our hope is to get something going sooner [rather than later].

In your opinion are Tron and Jeff Bridges dead, are they in Tron [3]?

Horowitz: I would say the definition of life and death in the digital realm...

Kitsis: Will be explored in the sequel!

How big of a part does Quorra have in the sequel?

Horrowitz: Mmm. *Darts away to the next roundtable*

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Umm... no. It's gonna be on his gravestone, "He was Sheridan. NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF HIS GALAXY!" ;)

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, Uprising's season continued tonight. Not their best episode, but still pretty good. I suppose the false accusation here will contribute to Hopper and Bartik joining one of the resistance cells eventually (though not right away yet, as we saw).

The stuff with Pavel's plotting is an interesting element- I suppose the Pieces of Power he has will play into that (he still has those right? or did he lose them before the break and I'm forgetting?).

Next week begins the "Scars" 2-parter. That title suggests some important events about to transpire.

And, on a sidenote, my Legacy easter egg guide video should hopefully be done sometime in the next week. Been working on it here and there since the Blu-Ray came out.

13. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Bartik is very interesting.

Uprising is awesome, although I am very behind because I can only view the episodes Disney lets me view online. Tron (the character) is sooooo awesome. Same with Beck.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    =P~
    Dude, he needs to give himself more props. I saw him at Dragon*Con back in September and D***, he looked good! He got rid of the gray hair and looked like he lost some weight. =P~

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not to mention they've already CGId the young Bruce for Legacy. All they need to do is keep the actor who played Rinzler and Mocap Bruce for any unhelmeted scenes.

(in fact, it'd make no sense for them not to keep the same actor)

And they could always come up with a reason for him to stay helmeted most of the time, if they want to limit the budget impact of those Mocap effects.

17. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    The art is still excellent for this series, although things are still mostly episodic. Nice that we didn't have a Tron/Beck mentor/student clash this week, with Beck just deciding to lay low with the witch hunts going on for the Renegade. Happy to see Tesler losing it though, just over one program. Kind of hard to tell how the people of Argon are supposed to be portrayed sometimes though. It was basically a witch/communist hunt, despite how ridiculous it had gotten (the line about having another 90 "Renegades" to interrogate sums it up perfectly) but Tron has a point that it could have undermined Tesler's supposedly benevolent reign. They're all cheering at the execution (at least Zed isn't a huge jerk, but blaming the renegade for everything gets old instead of the evil empire, aside from the required relationship tease), but still cheering as Beck zooms in and frees them.

And yeah, now Pavel is gunning for Tesler's job. He's always been mean, so hard to tell if this is new, maybe with the regenerating "Disc of Doom" as a trump card against Tesler in a fight, or raving insomniac Tesler is an easier target.

Next week looks especially interesting. I thought Tron's scars had just come from when Clu nearly killed him (guess the comic's version of events makes more sense with Uprising as in Legacy its looks like Tron was just converted when Flynn first escaped), but guess Beck is going to have to hold Tron back now (and his chances don't look good).

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I think to reconcile everything, one just has to assume the Rinzler bad-disk noises we hear in Legacy are just a result of the initial damage Clu inflicted... and everything else just fits inbetween somehow. This Scars 2-parter will no doubt bridge that.

19. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Rrrrrrrinzler is purrrrrrrrrfect.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Part 1 was very, very good. Loved the flashbacks and how they used the music from the film. Also- John Glover? Can this cast get any more awesome?

21. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Do you support Yori Lives?
    Because if you do, then, yes, this cast can get more awesome.

22. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, really good episode, and love the flashbacks and glimpses of Tron City. Not to mention that crowd of ISOs! Quorra never showed much, but then she's been working on blending in ever since (a smart decision given what happened), so nice to see more of the comparisons between regular programs and ISO. and glad the episode moved so quickly. Glad to see Beck stand up to Tron so quickly... just too bad there is still such a gap between their strengths.

Dyson sure seems unpopular, even by Tesler. Hard to tell how nice or not he was originally, he could be foreshadowing for what Clu could do to programs. Wonder if they'll answer who started the riot, the Evolution game showed Clu did plenty to start the war. Next week looks even better with Tron continuing his vendetta. That duel in the preview looks really cool, wonder if that means his time is up... or even better, Dyson survives, babbling about Tron lives, and that's just going to upset Tesler even more. And really nice to see scenes from the movies from different perspectives, though Flynn comes off even more clueless now, but guess he was always just... naive before the coup.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd be a nice nod to the original film to include Yori somehow... but I don't think Uprising is the best setting to include her. Tron needs to be isolated, beyond Beck. Bringing Yori into it now would be a bit pointless, especially since he's on his way to becoming Rinzler- and once he's Rinzler, there's no narrative point to having Yori (unless Rinzler kills her) since it would go unresolved until Tron 3 (if the film even addresses the point).

So, unless it was a flashback, I don't know if there'd be room for her. Better to save her for Tron 3 somehow (besides, Lora was more interesting/useful than Yori anyways- I'd rather have Lori back with Alan in the real world scenes than Yori with Tron in the Gird scenes).

My guess is that either Clu or Tesler (under Clu's orders) threw the first disc during the riot- but Tesler would make the most sense, given that he's been the focus of the series and we had him hunting ISOs during the Quorra flashbacks a few episodes ago.

Seeing the coup go down from a different perspective was very neat, though- you kinda forget that they were standing a good bit away from each other when that seemingly-innocuous question by Clu gets thrown down.

Also neat to see Flynn's arrival on the Grid at the Grid Arcade (though if that sucker lights up like that on arrival [which, granted, makes sense, given how much light the exit portal gives off], makes one wonder why no one noticed Sam's arrival/why Clu & co. didn't definitely know a User had arrived), though this is the first time we've seen him without the jacket and in a full light suit.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting conclusion.Love Dyson's yo-yo of doom.

Glad that Dyson isn't a one-off character. Have we met Silas before?

"THAT REALLY HURT!" [face_laugh]

25. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, not sure, although we could sure use more recurring characters, but that's unlikely due to the episodic nature of most episodes, so usually its just Beck, Tron, Beck's friends, the three main bad guys and the minor lackeys. Don't think we've seen Beck's boss for a while, or that other resistance member way back from the Renegade two-parter pilot.

Really cool combat this episode, don't think we could see that done in live-action, not without a lot of special effects (well, more than normal), one of the benefits of this being a cartoon. Also great chance to see Tron still has it, even in his condition.