main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.4 - The Soft War - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    After watching the episode for a 2nd time I like it more now, but I'm still disappointed with Kalani, hopefully he won't be one in Tipping Points.

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I was ready for this arc to be over last week, yet it continues on... I'm not looking forward to another episode of this. It just feels like so little happened in this episode. The King doesn't seem like a guy worth saving, and I just feel like Onderon being a monarchy is a terrible choice for showcasing a tale in which the people are trying to be free of oppression. Could have been a ruling body of officials that has been taken over by Dooku and Kalani. The King seems like he had rolled over and gave up. Would have been more interesting if he didn't back the Rebels and they had to find legitimacy on their own merits or if the twist was the Dendup had invited the Separatists to Onderon and they had replaced him with Rash. And the very end scene seemed like it was awkwardly tacked on as an apology for this episode: "sorry this has been lame so far, but wait until next week! That's when the REAL fight begins!" And I feel all this time wasted with Lux torn between Steela and Ahsoka hasn't gone anywhere after three episodes.

UNLIMITED POWER likes this.
  3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    woah i didn't know they had facebook :p [face_laugh]

5. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    HoloBook? [face_dunno]

rumblewagon and Spazmatron like this.
  6. Mackinder-Brzezinski

Mackinder-Brzezinski Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    Lucas's desire for a Philosopher King is ruining Star Wars. Can we get at least one decent leader who is not royalty in the Clone Wars.

7. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    Best Onderon episode so far. Finally we got a little bit emotional depth and complexity. The genneral, Saw, Stela and the old king were well written this week, a lot of the characters were a bit two dimensional in part 1 and 2. Pretty big step up overall, this is the level of quality I expect from the show.

My only problem is that it feels like the story is finally starting, and now its only one episode left. Really dont see how they will avoid making a rush job of part 4.

9/10

8. UNLIMITED POWER

UNLIMITED POWER Jedi Padawan

Sep 20, 2012
    I feel the same way as everyone else. These four episode archs are just boring and take too long to get to the point. I mean the build up sucks!!!!!

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]
    "We will send the Jedi home in caskets!"

10. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    And if he survives the coming battle, a new General for the Rebel Alliance!

JediMaster_1977 likes this.
  11. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This episode was better then last weeks but I do feel that this arc is dragging on too long. Four-part arcs are too long UNLESS its done well. Hopefully next weeks will be better.

12. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    recycling, thats the right word.

13. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Sorry guys, but I'm not seeing any of the weak points of the episode you guys are pointing out.

This episode gets an 8/10 for me, because I agree with it feeling like the story is finally starting. Next weeks episode looks like it will be a rush - and you guys will hate it because it crammed too much.

cwustudent likes this.
  14. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'll have my score in a day or so, I like to watch the episode a couple of times before I give it a review. I usually just listen to it as well - that is, have it playing in the background of my computer so I can just experience the audio.

JediMaster_1977 likes this.
  15. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    Have to disagree there, that guy was just crazy 2D evil. I like the story he apeared in of course, but he was pretty over the top.

16. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    +Nice opening
    +Engaging the citizens, well done
    +Thunder while raining, nice, very nice
    +Puddles, small details sometimes...
    +Building up Dono
    +Music is getting much better
    +Shield system
    +Tandon is a great character
    +Cool design for Kalani
    +Laser-guillotine, I was right, quite dark
    +Dono's death was well-done in the sense that she became a victim of the randomness of war and that they killed her off after her doing something in the episode (unlike Karis or whatever one of the Nightsisters was called)
    +General Tandon's actions were a bit predictable, but well-done nevertheless
    +Ahsoka was well-written despite not doing much; she seems to be sticking closer and closer to the Jedi rulebook
    +Lighting was well-done throughout
    +Nice choice of Steela having to decide between Saw and Dendup

-Why wasn't General Tandon introduced in part 2?
    -Kalani is kind of an idiot
    -This should quite honestly have not been the penultimate episode, it leaves quite a bit for "Tipping Points" to pick up

As an arc, I feel Onderon has regained some of the momentum from "Front Runners", but I will have to wait honestly after "Tipping Points" to give a definitive opinion

9/10, much improved from last week

rumblewagon likes this.
  17. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I think my biggest issues with the last two episodes is Ashoka's general change of attitude. I know she was told to back off and not get involved, but I at least wanted to see her more emotional vested then what she has been.

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I don't really have much I want to say about the episode, it was pretty 'meh'.

Also this episode completely invalidated the significance of Mina Bonteri's decision to join the CIS, which was a revelation in Heroes on Both Sides. Now it seems Bonteri didn't join the Separatist Parliament out of political courage and idealism but because the CIS invaded after Dendup remained neutral. Such bad internal continuity, TCW.

Of course we are. They did absolutely nothing in the first two episodes of the arc and then rush all of the action into the last episode and a half. It's stupid; these four part arcs should be reserved for stories that need them.

Inblackestnight likes this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Are you guys sure the Droid Gunships is in this arc, it could be a different arc they appear in

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Are you serious?! :rolleyes:[face_sigh]:confused:

Have you seen the trailers!? The Clip on Starwars.com?!

It is Onderon. And the show is just trolling us with not using them so far and just wasting time with pointless talking.

They have spent so much time on Ahsoka, Lux and Steela... and I still do not care for them. Such a waste of time.

Give me Gunships, Filoni!

21. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SPACEBook

22. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Talking isn't pointless, not in any story. I don't care about the action if I'm not invested. When I see random clone #45164946, I don't tear up. I don't feel sad for whoever that was.

For the action to be impactful, emotional, I need to get invested into the characters. Which I am. I'd rather like Saw, Steela, Dendup, Lux to live. I don't see that happening, but that's where the tension will come from.

Yes, I liked "Senate Spy". What of it? :p

23. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    And emotional impact and attachment can be created with faster episodes and not just dry and boring talking. What the heroes say makes me feel nothing for them. The only I sympathize is King Rash.

Like with Onderon, they spend so much talking but they practically say nothing. The dialogue of Dendup in this episode was a recycled version of his lines from the last one.

The best example is Innocence of Ryloth - an episode that set the standard for great episodes with emotional attachments. And it did it in 22 minutes with more actions from the characters and not just mindless jabber. It had unique action from the previous and next episodes and it was great when it ended.

Personally, when Dono died - the one who was the chick with the Boba Fett hair and that was most active - I cheered cause I was sick of these rebels and their constant stupid chatting.

Going back to Ryloth, there was talking and bonding in it but it was done on the go in an open environment. Here on Onderon, the Rebels just sit down on couches and talk blah blah.
    These talks are in the same style of talking in the Prequel movies which people hate - characters just sitting down and talking is boring. And what they said in every scene did not further their character but was more like bland exposition that was done in a very clumsy way.

PS: Senate Spy was awesome!!!

24. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Now that you've said what you meant in more detail, I understand your position.

The thing with this arc compared to, say "Innocents of Ryloth", is that you could watch any one part of the Ryloth trilogy and be satisfied. The story of Anakin/Obi-Wan/Mace opened, and closed by the end of the episode.

Not so with the Onderon arc. I find myself not satisfied by the end of the episode. That's because this isn't 4 22-minute episodes - it's one 88-minute feature, and the pacing reflects that. When you look at one episode of the Onderon arc in isolation, it is much weaker than the sum of the whole.

That's why I'm not judging this arc until next week, when I can watch all 4 back-to-back, as it was meant to be watched.

The dialogue of Dendup was very similar to last episode, but didn't he say as such? That his position was the same as before? This arc will ride on the last episode. If it pays off, the whole arc will be enjoyable, and the build-up worth it. If not, it will all fall apart.

25. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I find talking to be quite important and until today, I didn't see much "talking" from the perspective of the citizens, that's where "Front Runners" stumbled IMHO.